Changing things in your product page dunks rank?

iamyourneighbour

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, iamyourneighbour said:

Is that just coincidence or is that how it works now?

Possibly.

That is how it used to be before the new search function was introduced. New and modified listings were always placed right at the bottom of the ranking.

The new MP search fixed that problem but they have been tweaking the algorithm quite a bit since then so it's quite possible that bug is back.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting...just happened to see this while searching for another topic and it stopped me in my tracks. I did a bit of editing of my products about 24 hours ago - after having sales go through the roof over the last week...and had a quarter (if that) of the sales that I usually have. So...I would have to say that if there was a bug...it *feels* like it still exists. And here I though the hour I spent updating items was a good thing lol...oops. Should've left them alone. 

Only one way to find out ;)

I upgraded the oldest of the staircases in the OPQ Builders' Supplies store two days ago. If I search the store for "staircase" now, the upgraded ones show up as nos. 6, 15, 19, 24, 26, 27, 28, 30, 31 and 32 on a list with 36 hits. I don't remember the exact ranking before the upgrade but it was about the same. One of them actually jumped up on the list but that's obviously because the customer who suggested the upgrade wrote a nice review. I haven't updated the descriptions yet though, only the content. I'll see if I can find time for the descriptions today or tomorrow.

So right now the answer is that updating the content doesn't seem to affect search ranking. Whether updating the listing description has any effect, remains to be seen.

So, what I did was made changes to the listings being 100% mesh (no idea why they weren't listed as such before), then made updates to the descriptions, and the suggested products. It still feels like sales tanked from this weekend...but perhaps it's just a slump after everyone had shoppers remorse from black Friday lol.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.