Animation Distance Limitations

xxLOTHxx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Playing around with Qavimator and trying some simple tests to determine the max distance I can move an avatar via animation. For example Qavimator  Y position  swings from -196 to  +196. Not sure if that is  meters. When I try either extreme and upload to SL seems the max I can move is 10M. Does anyone know if there are limitations to the distance an avatar can move via animation? And if so are they any other ways to  offset an avatar  in a non-rez area.

Thanks 

Edited by xxLOTHxx

That restriction is deliberate, and if there are ways to circumvent it they are bugs.

Note that when you displace your avatar with an animation, all you are doing is moving where the avatar is drawn in the viewer. The simulator doesn't process animations, it just passes the animation id to any viewer that can see you; it has no idea what the animation is doing; you're not really moving the position of the avatar as far as the simulator is concerned. This sometimes leads to some odd effects.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply. You said the "restriction is deliberate". For example wearing an animation override and activating a hover animation will displace the avatar a certain distance above ground level. The avatar is physically located  at a specific  x.y.z  coordinate, but the animation that moves the avatar above the ground makes it appear visually higher off the ground ( different coordinate ). So this ability to displace the avatar above the ground ( hover) is circumventing a restriction via a bug or are you saying that animating  visually beyond a specific distance is circumventing a restriction? 

Thanks ! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 2:31 PM, xxLOTHxx said:

Thanks for the reply. You said the "restriction is deliberate". For example wearing an animation override and activating a hover animation will displace the avatar a certain distance above ground level. The avatar is physically located  at a specific  x.y.z  coordinate, but the animation that moves the avatar above the ground makes it appear visually higher off the ground ( different coordinate ). So this ability to displace the avatar above the ground ( hover) is circumventing a restriction via a bug or are you saying that animating  visually beyond a specific distance is circumventing a restriction? 

Animations are allowed to make small changes in position - otherwise dances would be pretty limited, for example. I rather like an animation that makes my avatar sit in a lotus position a few feet above the ground, for example, but as far as the simulator is concerned, I have not moved.

Deliberately obnoxious people will sometimes use this to make it appear that they have entered land from which they are banned; if they're still within 10 meters of the edge, they haven't really crossed the boundary, they're just using an animation that displaces their appearance over it. Granted, on a small enough parcel that can still be annoying, but like much of Second Life that's a compromise between conflicting legitimate needs.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.