Is there any Thumbnail Texture Generator in SL?

Yasojith

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2357 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I uploaded 32 of 1024 x 1024 px textures to SL for one of my project.

Its HUD needs thumbnails to identify the textures.

If I use the original size of the textures, the HUD become very slow to load. 

Therefore it might be needed 32 x 32 px textures.

Is there any "gadget" can buy from marketplace to make thumbnails in inworld?

Or do I have to upload thumbnails again?

Thanks for any kind of help.

10 hours ago, Yasojith said:

Is there any "gadget" can buy from marketplace to make thumbnails in inworld?

Or do I have to upload thumbnails again?

You have to upload the thumbnails separately, it is not possible to modify a texture that has been uploaded to SL.

Well, actually, there is one way to do the actual scaling down inworld. But it's a very cumbersome process and you would still have to save the result to your computer and reupload it so it's just a clumsy way to do something much better done in a proper image editor. I wouldn't be completely surprised if there is some old gadget on the market that does it but if there is, you don't want it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChinRey said:

You have to upload the thumbnails separately, it is not possible to modify a texture that has been uploaded to SL.

@ChinRey, thanks for the answer. By the way If i use 1024 x 1024 px images for my HUD thumbnails, will those thumbnails still take the same loading time and memory usage of a same big texture use in the Rug? If not I dont have to upload thumbnails separately. I added a screenshot of the HUD for more easy to understand my question. 

fgghUntitled.jpg

1 hour ago, Yasojith said:

By the way If i use 1024 x 1024 px images for my HUD thumbnails, will those thumbnails still take the same loading time and memory usage of a same big texture use in the Rug?

Yes, they will. Every pixel will have to be downloaded and stored no matter how much the textured is scaled up or down in the viewer.

But how important is this for a texture changer HUD? It's not as if people are going to wear it very often, is it? A bit of lag on those few occasions when they are changing the rug's texture shouldn't matter much.

That being said, are you sure you want to use 1024x1024 textures at all? It only really makes sense if the entire room the rug is in has the same high texel density and then we're talking about a seriously high lag environment.

@arton Rotaru wrote a really interesting post about this only a week ago and I really recommend that you read it:

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2357 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.