Are mesh feet worth it?

Milla Alexandre

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I accidentally bought shoes that require mesh feet.  I have never heard of mesh feet until I saw them for sale.  Is it really worth having mesh feet or are there enough good shoe choices for regular zero sized feet.  I am only interested in having one or two pairs of good shoes and lots of boots.  Any takers on this one?  Milla

2 minutes ago, Milla Alexandre said:

I accidentally bought shoes that require mesh feet.  I have never heard of mesh feet until I saw them for sale.  Is it really worth having mesh feet or are there enough good shoe choices for regular zero sized feet.  I am only interested in having one or two pairs of good shoes and lots of boots.  Any takers on this one?  Milla

I for one would give up wearing hair, head, body, hands but keep my mesh feet. I live barefoot but in your circumstances it seems a waste of money to buy mesh feet just for 1 pair of shoes as you can get by without them.  Sadly ditch the new shoes and put it down to experience and make sure you DEMO first next time.  :)

• Like 1

I can not imagine (second) life without mesh feet anymore! I have a Maitreya body that includes the feet. As a genuine shoe addict I have to say that all the best footwear nowadays is made for mesh feet. 

If though, like you say, you mostly wear boots anyway and are happy with the one or two pair shoes you already have, then its probably not needed.But not considering shoes, I really dislike the look of standard system feet when not wearing any shoes at all. Bare feet look much better with mesh too.

• Like 2

If you buy the Slink high feet, it'll simplify a lot your shoewear. All you'll need to do is : wear the Slink feet, alpha your default feet and tint/apply a skin on these mesh feet only once. Then you'll be able to wear any Slink shoes.

While if you stick to the previous prim shoes+feet, you'll have tint every single pair of shoes to match your skin, adjust every single pair of feet, everytime.

For boots, you may not need mesh feet as long as you can alpha (i.e. : hide) your feet. But it depends on the boots design too. There are many boots with open sides, open heels or open toes (a lot of boots with open toes) and you'll need mesh feet with them.

• Like 1

If you decide to keep your classic feet you will mostly be restricted to boots suitable for classic AV's, closed toe shoes, and sculpted feet shoes that you'll have to colour match while they still exist, 
when i browsed every single page of women's shoes i noticed a lot of boots were only sized for mesh Av's, If you are looking to buy new shoes or shoes in the future you will need mesh feet i've bought ankle boots and closed toe shoes in recent months that require mesh feet where so much of the foot is contained in the shoe i don't see the point of having to use my mesh feet
Should you chose to ever get mesh feet my advice is to go for Sink or Slink compatible as there is the widest range or shoes made for this brand the official slink feet come in Flat, Kitten, Mid, High & Pointe where as compatible feet use the most popular heights. There isn't much available for Pointe feet and there's even less for Kitten so unless you've really fallen for something made for those feet i would save money and not bother buying them

I immediately looked at the DATE on this post only to see it was current. OMG.

Most shoes nowadays need mesh feet. Finding shoes old enough NOT to use mesh feet is difficult and they are often sculps which are hard on the server and your avatar rendering cost (neither a good thing).

The REAL question should be --- if you plan to stay around -- "do I want to buy mesh feet or just get a mesh body?"

That answer would be "B" for a large majority of folks.

If you are happy wearing boots all the time (pretty much the only thing that looks good on "classic" feet, then smile and be happy. If not then mesh feet or a mesh body should be in your future.  I don't know of anyone who has regretted buying their (top three brands) mesh body. 

• Like 2

Yes if your going to stay in second life for a long time, it totally is worth getting some mesh feet, actually its worth getting a mesh body as well. Eventually people will stop supporting the regular avatar as the mesh bodies and what not is totally taking over second life. I recommend the maitreya body since its the most supported body out there, it's included mesh feet and bento hands.

• Like 3

I chose a body called "Kimberly" which obviously is not mesh, as I have regular SL feet, I don't really feel like having a body like everybody else's.  I like the one I have.  I suppose I could buy mesh feet, I've been to slink, the store, and looking around it all makes sense now.  I am getting from majority of you that I should just get mesh feet unless I want to wear boots all the time so that's what I'm going to do.  The clothes I buy fit my body just fine.  And the other female bodies I've seen all have big asses and  big boobs lol and I don't want a face like everyone else.  You have all been very helpful, thank you.

On 9.11.2017 at 9:48 PM, Milla Alexandre said:

I am only interested in having one or two pairs of good shoes and lots of boots.

You obviously don't need mesh feet for boots. If your footwear covers your feet completely, wear a suitable shoe base and an alpha layer that cover any bits of your system feet that may stick out. That's all. It doesn't matter whether those boots are supposed to be for system feet or Slink feet or Maitreya feet or whatever, you can always make them fit and it isnn't even difficult.

It's different when it comes to open shoes though. They often (but always) need to be made specifically for one kind of feet. There are certainly good shoes for system feet for sale - or at least good old style mesh shoes with "built in" feet - and they're much cheaper than a pair of Slinks. You can probably even pick up a few good pairs for free at GNC or Free Dove.

If you only want good shoes that fit, you're better off finding some new shoes than new feet. Those Slinks do look awfully good though...

• Like 1

i had a system avi as late as last December, and while i was a bit envious of the large number of fabulous shoes available for mesh, there were several very nice options available, the really good ones were not cheap, i can get great mesh shoes for much less than great shoes for my system avi. I wouldn't recommend buying mesh feet, as others have said, if you go mesh get a whole new body that is mesh with the mesh feet as well. I understand the resistance I used to feel that way to, but having finally made the leap to the other side i cannot even imagine going back.

• Like 2

I always hated not only the toes of classic feet, but also those horrid ankles.  That said, if I was always wearing boots and / or high-top tennis shoes, I probably would not have gotten mesh feet as soon as I did.

1 hour ago, Milla Alexandre said:

I chose a body called "Kimberly" which obviously is not mesh, as I have regular SL feet, I don't really feel like having a body like everybody else's.  .....  And the other female bodies I've seen all have big asses and  big boobs lol and I don't want a face like everyone else.

You may be surprised at how much you can adjust the sizing of the mesh bodies.  You don't have to have a big butt or bit boobs.  However, you would want to pick up demos of all the various bodies and give them all a shape-adjusting tryout. 

Going with a mesh body does not mean you have to also get a mesh head at the same time. I've had my mesh body since early spring now and I'm still using my classic head - partly because I'm not sure I can get a "me" look with a mesh head and partly because my desire is nowhere near high enough to justify the cost.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

I understand the resistance I used to feel that way to, but having finally made the leap to the other side i cannot even imagine going back.

This may seem a bit strange: I have alts with and alts without mesh bodies and just like Talligurl, I can't imagine going back to system bodies for the ones who have mesh now. But I can't imagine going mesh with my "system body alts" either and one of them is by far the one I myself regard as my best looking alt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

This may seem a bit strange: I have alts with and alts without mesh bodies and just like Talligurl, I can't imagine going back to system bodies for the ones who have mesh now. But I can't imagine going mesh with my "system body alts" either and one of them is by far the one I myself regard as my best looking alt.

My alts exist to add members to the land group,  give tier to the land group, give me their L$, and occasionally check permissions or functionality of something.  Thus there isn't a chance in he!! that they get any sort of mesh body/head that isn't a freebie.  :D

(which reminds me - it is time to go steal their money again)

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My alts exist to add members to the land group,  give tier to the land group, give me their L$, and occasionally check permissions or functionality of something.  Thus there isn't a chance in he!! that they get any sort of mesh body/head that isn't a freebie.  :D

Awww, poor things! I'm an alt myself and I know exactly how bad that can be.

1 minute ago, ChinRey said:

Awww, poor things! I'm an alt myself and I know exactly how bad that can be.

Truth be told, I am an alt created roughly 3.5 months after my original account.  But then I hijacked everything and became the main.  Now the original and a few other alts are destined to just log in now and then to fork over the dough, almost never even allowed to leave home.

I was nice enough to let them all join 7 Deadly s{K}ins during one of the promo months a while ago and go do a skin hunt so they could have upgraded skins.  And just a few months back, i took them each to Free Dove to upgrade their clothing. 

14 hours ago, Milla Alexandre said:

And the other female bodies I've seen all have big asses and  big boobs lol and I don't want a face like everyone else. 

You don't have to stick to the standard shape. That's me wearing Belleza Venus and my own self-made shape :

Maya_hourglass002.thumb.png.067c58fb1451f0f79f814f4d478418ce.png

With a fitmesh body, you can edit your appearance, make the shape you want and a fitmesh clothing sized for this body will still fit.

Here's an example with my same shape and same meshbody Maya_Purple001_022.thumb.png.dd1ac950c2dfb363943071ed23f608aa.png:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Truth be told, I am an alt created roughly 3.5 months after my original account.  But then I hijacked everything and became the main.

And you show no concern for your poor sister alts? :(

Most of my alts do actually have mesh bodies but not all of them use it.

4 hours ago, Milla Alexandre said:

I chose a body called "Kimberly" which obviously is not mesh, as I have regular SL feet, I don't really feel like having a body like everybody else's.  I like the one I have. 

Before you completely rule out a mesh body at least go and demo them i was resistant to the notion of going mesh because i used a skin where there's no appliers and was put off skin shopping in case i never found a skin that was "me" but i have just bought one,  When you do demo you will be surprised at how well they take to the shape of your system shape and you can adjust them in the same way you adjust your system shape you don't have to compromise on looking like you. Demoing is so worthwhile as i found it wasn't so much the body it's self that would be the deal breaker but the HUD and the built in skin options i was lucky there was one body i could use out of the box with the skin i was using and had a good usable HUD. The only thing stopping me getting my chosen body now is L$ now i've got the skin all my spare change will going to my alt towards the body

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

And you show no concern for your poor sister alts? :(

My 'brother' already had the free Robert bento full body/head from a recent hunt and I've found quite a few free outfits that work for it.  It is actually a decent body for an alt that never gets to go anywhere.

One of the females has the free TMP, but you made me feel bad so I went and grabbed the freebie TMP for the other females.  Now I'll have to see if I can find any freebie outfits for them.

• Haha 2

Getting a mesh body is your best bet. Next would be just the feet. For the price of the feet you could get the Tonic body that includes the 3 popular heights of Slink compatible feet. System feet are really bad; they look like flippers with lines on them.

Bodies can be resized though, some older mesh still uses standard sizing. Check https://cutesexycool.wordpress.com for info on mesh bodies. They can get complicated. You'll be getting into appliers. There are tutorials on that site.

Truth be told I like the body I have, I don't want to over complicate things for myself. I got lucky and found "no feet needed" at slink so there is a whole section of shoes I can buy.  That's good enough for me.  The demos look great.  I never go barefoot so I'm not worried about how  my feet look.  At a later date I will post some pictures so you guys can see me as I am  Hopefully you will understand why I'm happy like this.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.