Hover height issue. Help?

Maitimo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

lately I've noticed that I need to adjust my hover height to a fairly extreme number (-0.4 or thereabouts) in order to walk on level ground. I assumed it was due to something I was wearing (AO, shoe base etc) but I have detached everything (and I mean literally everything besides skin, eyes, shape and system hair) and it didn't help.

I wouldn't mind but every time I sit on an object/poseball etc, I have to re-adjust my hover height back to zero otherwise i sink into the furniture, and i have to adjust it back to -0.4 when i stand up again.

This has been going on for at least a week; I noticed it a few days after I bought a mesh body but taking the mesh body off didn't fix it.

And yes I tried clearing cache and no, that didn't help either.

Does anyone know what is going on and whether there is a workaround (besides constantly messing with my hover height all the time)? I am using firestorm if that makes a difference. 

Edited by Matty Luminos

If you use the hover height in the Quick Preference bar it stays over logout and logins --- at  least mine does.  Have you checked to make sure that hover height of your SHAPE is at 0?  It is at the very bottom of the BODY tab in the shape adjuster (Edit Shape). 

If this happened when you got a mesh body and you used the shape that came with the body, maybe there was a flaw in the shape. If so and the shape is mod you can fix that in the appearance tab = edit shape and SAVE and that should hold. I can't think of anything else. Clearing cache would have had nothing to do with this by the way :D.

Good luck. 

2 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Just curious, is it best practise to set your hover height in shape at 0, and then use the bar in the choise wheel to set the right hight? I always had my hove set in shape till now.

I'm not sure what others consider to be 'best practice', but I do keep the shape setting at 0 and then keep the large hover bar always open at the top of my viewer for quick adjustments as I change outfits and move around to different places.  To me, that is easier than changing the shape all the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

If you use the hover height in the Quick Preference bar it stays over logout and logins --- at  least mine does.  Have you checked to make sure that hover height of your SHAPE is at 0?

I really, really hope you mean 50, not 0 - unless you are into some shady underground business that is. ;)

A third way to adjust hover height is to use different shoe bases. They're quick and easy to make and you can have one for each outfit so no need to tweak anything when you change your clothing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

The bar is in the standard viewer, too.  That's what I use and I also keep it open and parked at the top center of my screen.

I only have used the standard viewer for 10 years or so, not really had the time to figure it all out...

• Haha 3

• 3 years later...
On 11/7/2017 at 3:04 PM, ChinRey said:

I really, really hope you mean 50, not 0 - unless you are into some shady underground business that is. ;)

A third way to adjust hover height is to use different shoe bases. They're quick and easy to make and you can have one for each outfit so no need to tweak anything when you change your clothing.

Yeah, i hope they do too. i had to figure it out myself. but yes set your shape hover to 50 then adjust the bar and you should have no more problems. and you should be able to sit in a chair perfectly fine again.

Clearing cache is a last resort step and then only in special cases. People tell you to clear cache when they can't think of anything else to tell you. They generally have no idea whether it will help or not. Avoid it like you avoid CoVid. (but you don't have to wear a mask when clearing cache.)

Shape-hover and right-click-hover are very different and I suggest using them for different purposes. Also, realize that shape-hover is a very course adjustment. If you are a consistent 0.4 from the ground/floor with various shoes then shape-hover is a good place to add the correction. I consider it a global setting. Save the right-click-hover for minor on-the-fly adjustments. You'll find when doing photos that it is handy for dealing with various surfaces you may stand or sit on.

Shoe-height is the ideal place to make a correction for various shoes. The 'shoe' system item image.png.1fd6959c4c45ca25c058f947587a3a2a.png that comes with shoes can be replaced with one that works better for you and that pair of shoes. As part of an outfit or pair of shoes it can be set and forgotten.

A systematic approach to getting a reliable basic height set is to start with the basics. I use starter Outfits. They are my basic nude avatar. I wear mesh so I have my body and head attached with all the parts common to most of my outfits. NO ANIMATIONS.

I suggest you strip to your nude Classic avatar. Turn off your AO and any animations. Wear only the shape you wear most of the time. Stand on a prim floor or rez a cube to stand on. The assumption here is that you have avatar-height (tallness) set as you want. Adjust the shape-height so your feet are on the cube or above and as close as possible.

Add your mesh body. With any luck your flat feet will still be on the cube. If not, tweak the shape-height. The shape will then be for this body. This should be the last time you ever need to adjust shape-height for this body. I suspect you'll find a setting of 50 works. Common settings, as best I can tell, are 49 to 51.

When you add shoes or change feet, flat to medium or to high, adjust your height in the system shoe-layer. Make a new shoe-layer if one is  not included. My Slink body has shoe-layers which are Mod-OK. So I can change those according to which foot I am using and do any tweaking there.

These settings should get you a height that works pretty well with walking, standing, and sitting.

Notice whether your animations/AO through off your height. If so  you can likely compensate by changing the shoe-height which will work for most situations. Remember. Animations change when you sit and those animation make assumptions about your avatar based on its shape. Right-click-hover adjustments change your butt to chair distance as well as your foot to floor distance. So compensating for animation heights with right-click-height can be tedious.

This is complicated because the system calculates avatar position starting at the pelvis. Any adjustment that directly adjusts the pelvis location affects everything. A shoe layer is at the end of the calculation. It doesn't directly move the pelvis. So the system can place the pelvis according to leg length and shoe height so feet touch the floor. When we sit the system can place the pelvis using the butt size, body fat, etc. without  using leg length or shoe height.

Anything that adjust the pelvis up or down affects every calculation...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.