Moderate locked?!

piecheese

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, what is this? I'm 16 and I can't enter Moderate regions? What is in there that I can't handle? I'm smart enough to avoid strip clubs and "Adult"-ish places/things, why can't I access it? Sorry if I'm ranting, its just so frusterating when you're stuck in general while all your friends are in Moderate or Adult regions! >_<

The business of being "account verified" and "age verified" can be very confusing. Even when you think you have it figured out, you may run into places in SL where the landowner, at his own option, has decided to restrict access at the parcel to sim level to people to are age-verified. There's a very nicely written overview at http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Account-verification-types/ta-p/805983 that's worth reading to get it all clearer in your mind.

Dems the rules I'm afraid! 16-17 restricted to General (PG) regions only.

To be honest, they are rules for which you should probably be grateful too, because without them one of the following three scenarios would likely exist:

1. You wouldn't be allowed in SL at all at 16 and it would be entiely restricted to 18+.

2. You'd be stuck on a small, isolated teen grid with access to even less content and support.

3. You'd be allowed to access moderate and/or adult regions. Lawsuits would fly. SL would no longer exist.

All of which I imagine you'll agree are much worse than the current situation.

It's also frustrating when you're 16 and most of your friends have turned 18 and prefer to hang out in bars and other places where it is illegal for a 16 year old to go. That is life, and the law must still be obeyed, even if you have no intention of ordering anything stronger than tap water. You legally have to wait until you turn 18 yourself to rejoin them, because the law says you can't do so until then.

Unfortunately, Linden Lab's Second Life software allows for no other way for the owner of property in a Mature or Adult sim to exclude you completely from their land, if what they do there is inappropriate for a minor to observe or participate in. Unlike real life, locked doors and solid walls can't prevent you from seeing into their bedrooms and bordellos. Parcel bans only affect access to 50 Meters above the terrain, so they can't lock you out of their skyboxes, or even out of the upper floors of some homes. Even with you being restricted to the G-rated sims, you're still going to be exposed to some adult XXX content that can be seen over the sim borders in neighboring Mature-rated sims - things that are flat out illegal for you to have access to, even just visually. The only 'solution' that Linden Lab has offered to allow you to have access to Second life at all before you turn 18 is to restrict your physical presence to the G-rated sims, and to isolate the Adult businesses to Adult rated sims on their own continent or private island sims. But it is still legal for a land owner in a Mature sim to have and use content that is in no way legal for a 16 or 17 year old to be allowed access to. And so you are not allowed to set foot inside a Mature sim until you turn 18.

It doesn't matter if you are the most mature and well-meaning 16 year old on the planet. It's still illegal to allow you to roam freely in an environment that contains XXX Adult content. Whether you are seeking that sort of entertainment or actively trying to avoid it makes no difference. Allowing you into the Mature sims still allows you that access, and creates a huge legal liability for the adults in the Mature sims.

The only way to allow 16 and 17 year olds to access Mature sims would be to eliminate all XXX Adult content from them, essentially rendering them the same rating as G-rated sims. And for most Adults in Second Life, rendering their land completely worthless and unusable. Not because they do sex 24x7, but because having the option to engage in adult activities on their own land, when they choose to, is a valued part of their social experience here.

Void Singer wrote:

Suella Ember wrote:

Dems the rules I'm afraid!
16-19
16-17
restricted to General (PG) regions only.

minor correction

Well spotted! Don't know how I managed to hit a 9 insted of a 7. Bloody fat fingers! :smileytongue:

I'll edit my original post to avoid confusion.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.