You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i dont know were this would fit in  so i am poosting it here i have  been wondering latly  as i have seen  in world a few lindens over the years and noticed they all had defualt avatars. are  emplyees not aloud to customize their own avatars? and  if say a normal user applys for a job  at linden labs gets  the job  are they aloud to use their original account or do they have to delate it and  make a linden account  that cant be customized?

4 answers to this question

1 minute ago, StormcruzerLore Abbot said:

i dont know were this would fit in  so i am poosting it here i have  been wondering latly  as i have seen  in world a few lindens over the years and noticed they all had defualt avatars. are  emplyees not aloud to customize their own avatars? and  if say a normal user applys for a job  at linden labs gets  the job  are they aloud to use their original account or do they have to delate it and  make a linden account  that cant be customized?

I have met Lindens inworld with customized avatars. I imagine that the ones using "library" defaults are devs who are testing things and don't spend much time inworld for pleasure (or use an alt account). Since Linden Lab employees seem to all have Linden as their last name (don't know if that completely holds true, but generally anyway) then they would have to have a Linden account. Years ago they were allowed to have alts (or in your scenario KEEP their alts) but I have no concrete knowledge that is still the case. 

• Thanks 1

As far as I can tell, Chic is right on. Lindens are not all the same, just as SL residents are not. I've met several over the years who have stylish, imaginative avatars and wardrobes, and others who don't. When you meet a Linden in  world, they're usually there to work, not to show off their clothing. If you  go to an event like Mole Day in Bay City or a dance on the Isle of View in February, though, you'll see a lot of Linden finery.  I strongly suspect that some Lindens have their own private alts, so they can wander around after work without drawing attention, but I also suspect that they can't use them on company time for security reasons.

• Thanks 1

Mazidox Linden wears an avatar that is a spray can of bug spray...

Oz Linden has changed avatar a couple of times, still sort of the mage kind of guy with a white beard and hair.

Rider Linden is a sort of Steampunk robot looking guy riding a gear.

Alexa Linden is a cute woman avatar.

Vir Linden is a catfish made from prims.

There are more, some strange.

As to having to give up an avatar when hired... sort of. Lindens all get an avatar with the Linden name when hired. I don't know that every Linden does. But, AFAIK they do not have to give up any personal avatar they had. Those that we see in-world certainly get a Linden avatar. Those Lindens avatars are never seen again when a Linden leaves the company.

• Like 1
On 11/4/2017 at 1:31 AM, StormcruzerLore Abbot said:

Hi StormcruzerLore Abbot,

Linden Lab employees are allowed, and many do, have alternate accounts that we use for playing in Second Life.  As long as you do not use information available to you as an employee to profit from with your alt, there are no issues, and if you have an existing Second Life account before joining the Linden Lab team, you are not required to cancel the account.  You may keep any existing accounts/alts that you currently have.

When a person first starts working at Linden Lab, if they will be working with users, or in world, a Linden named account is created for them, as in my case, Dakota Linden, and others like Tommy Linden, Kristin Linden, Oz Linden, etc.  We are also granted a small amount of L$ in order to customize our avatars, if we choose.  The Linden named account is then used for all of our work related duties, so if you see a Linden named avatar in world, there is a 99.9% chance that the person behind the account is "at work".

With regards to the types of avatars that Linden Lab employees use, it really depends.  My avatar is currently a mesh golden eagle. However, some Linden Lab employees who are working, especially if they are in world investigating issues like lag, they may choose to use a simple avatar without scripts that does not add extra load to the system, etc. 

We have quite a few Linden Lab employees that are creators and maintain their alternate accounts for creating and selling their own items.  

You will find that Linden employees, myself included, are very private when it comes to using their alternate (non employee) accounts/avatars.  If users knew who we were while we were on our alts, we would be bombarded with requests for help while we were off duty, and we would not be able to play and enjoy activities in Second Life.

If you are interested in working for Linden Lab, please check out the Jobs postings on the main Linden Lab website, located here:

https://www.lindenlab.com

https://www.lindenlab.com/careers

Edited by Dakota Linden
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.