The exiting improvements and fee updates

NXCombat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So after reading the latest blog release from LL I am legitimately curious to know just exactly what "more flexible pricing" actually means once the SL servers have been upgraded to the cloud. Now you could all yell "OMG CHEAPER TIER" but I severely doubt that will ever be the case. Cheaper premium perhaps?. See the problem with tier prices as has been stated several million times on this forum is that Linden Labs LITERALLY can not lower tier prices no matter how much we want them too. Reason being is the land barons.. Companies like the Chungs, Weazles etc have all bought their sims and locked in grandfathered tier deals that we could only ever dream of having. If LL was to lower tier these companies would loose a substantial amount of money and probably threaten to...if not fully pull out of SL all together and take with them a fairly large chunk of the profit LL makes from them. So as regards tier prices I feel like LL's hands are tied. Perhaps they mean cheaper setup costs for regions?. What do you guys think?

I am also curious about this "more new ways to stop the bad guys". I wonder what they have planned, I mean can you really stop copyright infringers?. I don't see how they could fully tackle that issue short of banning all third party viewers thus at least preventing Copybot viewers from being able to log into Second Life.

Also what do you think of the new 2.5% transaction with no limit?. 

Lastly am I the only one in SL who found the new Glytches game to be utterly boring and repetitive after 10 minutes of playing it?. I really do not see the hype that linden labs is trying to build here with this new "grid wide experience". 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NXCombat said:

So after reading the latest blog release from LL I am legitimately curious to know just exactly what "more flexible pricing" actually means once the SL servers have been upgraded to the cloud. Now you could all yell "OMG CHEAPER TIER" but I severely doubt that will ever be the case. Cheaper premium perhaps?. See the problem with tier prices as has been stated several million times on this forum is that Linden Labs LITERALLY can not lower tier prices no matter how much we want them too. Reason being is the land barons.. Companies like the Chungs, Weazles etc have all bought their sims and locked in grandfathered tier deals that we could only ever dream of having. If LL was to lower tier these companies would loose a substantial amount of money and probably threaten to...if not fully pull out of SL all together and take with them a fairly large chunk of the profit LL makes from them. So as regards tier prices I feel like LL's hands are tied. Perhaps they mean cheaper setup costs for regions?. What do you guys think?

I am also curious about this "more new ways to stop the bad guys". I wonder what they have planned, I mean can you really stop copyright infringers?. I don't see how they could fully tackle that issue short of banning all third party viewers thus at least preventing Copybot viewers from being able to log into Second Life.

Also what do you think of the new 2.5% transaction with no limit?. 

Lastly am I the only one in SL who found the new Glytches game to be utterly boring and repetitive after 10 minutes of playing it?. I really do not see the hype that linden labs is trying to build here with this new "grid wide experience". 

Thoughts?

Where are the chungs and the Weazles gonna go? There isn't another Second Life down the block they can move to.  I really doubt they get their sims for much less than 195 a month if any, its just one of those SL legends. Besides, lowering tier means lowering it for them too. They operate on a profit margin, lower costs get passed on in a competitive market, so it would benefit everyone.

31 minutes ago, NXCombat said:

Interesting, I didn't see that. I wonder if you could protest it by a mass boycott on exporting lindens for a whole month xD

What you're saying there is, "Instead of letting Linden Lab keep 2.5 percent of our money, we're going to let them keep all of it." They'll be quaking in their boots at that, I'll tell you what...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

That blog post reminds me of a community meeting I attended on Avination shortly before it collapsed. I think there are some word-by-word identical phrases even. "Exciting improvements, "bright future", "vibrant Linden Dollar economy", "as we forge ahead" - standard hype phrases with no semantic content whatsoever.

Linden Lab is making a million dollar investment in Second Life. They keep repeating that. How many millions? Two? Ten? Twenty? And exactly what are they going to ivnest in? None of the new features and "features" mentioned or hinted at so far should require that kind of investment.

Updates to LindeX and Credit Processing Fees

The more said about that, the better but there is a separate thread for it.

New & Upcoming Improvements to Second Life

Can you be a bit more specific please?

More fun, for everyone in SL

What? I thought the only thing you were supposed to do in Second Life was spend money! Is there something more to it too? Gosh! Who would have thought?

5000 people have tried hunting for glytches so far... Oh well, better luck next time. But if you're going to keep creating games, maybe it's an idea to rethink the strategy and try to come up with something people want to play even if they're not paid to do it.

New creative tools

Yes, that actually is good news. We have to give them that.

More value for Premiums subscribers

Can't comment on that. Insufficent data.

More customers for your businesses

That is rather confusing. Exactly how is a plan who's only purpose is to drive more newcomers away from SL going to generate more customers???

New ways to stop the bad guys

That is interesting and may be good news. But Second Life is already full of mechanisms to keep people from interacting with each other and for good or bad it needs to be a social medium to stand a chance at all. Adding further restrictions there is risky and it has to be done with far more care and consideration than what we've seen so far.

upgrade to SL infrastructure and move to the cloud

Fair 'nough. But I actually thought assets serving already was on the cloud. An if you're going to move the sims to the cloud too, how are you going to handle sim crossings with significant ping time between the sims?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The could lower the tier mabye when the move things into the cloud and only start regions that have visitors and keep all others in hibernate. But i think that tier is never going to drop far enough to around 10$ / sim. If the go change the tier, not hold my breath on that.

Technical, there's replacement for secondlife. It's called opensim.

3 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I can't find the right reaction option for your post :/  So I am going with confused 

Woops, I forgot most people use third party viewers and never get to see the official welcome screen. Sorry. This is how it looks now:

http://viewer-login.agni.lindenlab.com/

It's new today and it's obviously the multi-million dollar investment they've been talking about. :)

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, ChinRey said:

More fun, for everyone in SL

What? I thought the only thing you were supposed to do in Second Life was spend money! Is there something more to it too? Gosh! Who would have thought?

5000 people have tried hunting for glytches so far... Oh well, better luck next time. But if you're going to keep creating games, maybe it's an idea to rethink the strategy and try to come up with something people want to play even if they're not paid to do it.

• Like 1

I find myself extremely underwhelmed at the prospect of LL moving SL's Simulators to the Cloud. I spent a giant chunk of 2016 and 2017 attempting to equip a medium-demand MySQL Server on a Cloud instance. I had tons of help, the best minds and experts on cloud computing at the hosting company, and finally they just refunded most of the money I'd paid in fees and said "We're sorry but it's just not going to work." Okay .. 

After thinking and studying on it for some time, I've come to the realization that the major problem was the "hand-off" time. That's when it turns out another physical computer running as a Cloud Server is designated as being better able to serve up the response. With your typical web page servers, that hand-off time is no issue as the amount of information that must be replicated to the new computer is pretty small. But when it comes to FAT applications (like MySQL and SL Simulators) the data transfer is prohibitive. So when the switchover occurs, everything freezes for the 2-10 seconds it takes to mirror the whole shebang.

I realize that "Cloud Computing" is all the rage now. And I also realize it seems to be less expensive than dedicated servers. It's also pretty common to find 3rd party hosting services that will do all the management of the Cloud for you. But is it REALLY suitable to host a Region Simulator?

IMO ... No.

Darrius, most of us use ec2 or aws for hosting of opensimulator sims, it's tons better then trying to host it on a home machine that can be bogged down and is cheaper and costs ways less.   Dedicated such as LL has right now (it's kinda a cloud already as things are clustered) are expensive, and being able to move to a setup that will lower costs on their hardware end and will provide better up times and performance because they can split that across many machines is an attractive bonus for them. 

14 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Darrius, most of us use ec2 or aws for hosting of opensimulator sims, it's tons better then trying to host it on a home machine that can be bogged down and is cheaper and costs ways less.   Dedicated such as LL has right now (it's kinda a cloud already as things are clustered) are expensive, and being able to move to a setup that will lower costs on their hardware end and will provide better up times and performance because they can split that across many machines is an attractive bonus for them. 

Trust me, I wasn't using a home machine. I was leasing the cloud instance from one of the nation's biggest hosting services. They have a setup with high-speed fiber interconnections between each physical machine. Their hardware is all located in the same protected server building on the east coast of the USA. They're also using top of the line disk emulators that use RAM instead of physical drives. So moving an instance from one machine to another is blazing fast.

BUT .. when you are moving basically the entire RAM space of a very fat system, it can and does take time. With a web server there is actually very little "application specific" data that must be copied. The state of the web server is pretty much reset at the start of every request. But that is not the case with a MySQL Server or a Region Simulator. The amount of private and volatile "application specific" data is many times larger. And that is what has to be copied to another computer and its virtual drive when a switch is required.

Yes, it can be blazingly fast. But only if nothing else is happening on the  network at that time. Do you seriously think there won't be much traffic on the interconnecting network?

The last part of your last sentence though is what I see as their reason. You are right imo about this: "a setup that will lower costs on their hardware end and will provide better up times and performance because they can split that across many machines is an attractive bonus for them." After all, they are looking at any means possible to lower their costs. If it causes some hiccups or burps, as long as they're "acceptable" .. onward to infinity!!

PS: I will just still argue with the "better .. performance" part of that sentence.

On 03/11/2017 at 12:05 PM, Richardus Raymaker said:

The could lower the tier mabye when the move things into the cloud and only start regions that have visitors and keep all others in hibernate. But i think that tier is never going to drop far enough to around 10$ / sim. If the go change the tier, not hold my breath on that.

Technical, there's replacement for secondlife. It's called opensim.

The problem with this idea is the flawed architecture that runs scripts in a region regardless of whether there are avatars in it or not.

Vending server scripts, remote logging scripts, update server scripts etc. all need to be running on the sim they were rezzed in.

If there were a method that allowed a script to run off sim in a dedicated script server then this would have merit.

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Wait.......... there's sex in SL?

Sort'a. These days it's probably more of the lonely-person-fantasizing-about-some-dolled-up-avatar kind than the kind that requires interaction between two or more people. Mesh bodies really aren't that suitable for intimate socializing, they're more about looks than action.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/4/2017 at 7:03 PM, ChinRey said:

Sort'a. These days it's probably more of the lonely-person-fantasizing-about-some-dolled-up-avatar kind than the kind that requires interaction between two or more people. Mesh bodies really aren't that suitable for intimate socializing, they're more about looks than action.

I disagree. That is all. B|

7CwDHFV.gif?1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.