Social Island overrun with griefers

julisees

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

23 answers to this question

4 hours ago, julisees said:

I'm sure any smart script writer could write a script that detects it and remove them immediately

I'm a reasonably smart scripter. What would you like to detect, and how do you suggest doing it? Keep in mind that there is no way for a script to tell when one person or object is being pushed by another one. And no way to tell whether a person is a griefer by looking at his age or payment status. If you have a good idea, I would love to take a crack it making it work, but I can't think of one myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

julisees,

Welcome to Second Life, and kudos for your desire to help newcomers.  All of us here share that, or we wouldn't spend so much time posting replies here in Answers.

I completely understand your concern about the griefers and pranksters that hang out on the Social Islands (there are actually a number of identical copies, to handle the volume of incoming new residents).  However, this sort of thing has ALWAYS been a problem.  Jerks like these gravitate to any area where there are newcomers, because they know that they don't know enough to protect themselves.

Certainly you should Abuse Report violations of the Terms of Service.  But you should not count on LL taking it from there.  For one thing, the investigation process takes time.  For another, LL is reluctant to ban people, and reserve that for really serious violations, like fraud.  The reason should be obvious:  LL wants Second Life to have a lot of residents, their profit depends on it. 

Instead of counting on Abuse Reports to solve the problem, a better strategy is to talk to the residents who are the griefers' intended victims.  Offer to help them get to a place where they're less likely to be harrassed, such as one of the resident-run newcomer help areas.  Caledon Oxbridge University, New Resident Island, Firestorm Help Island, and NCI are all good choices.  There is also a good help area for Portuguese speakers, Ajuda SL Brasil.

Since you seem to have a predisposition for attack rather than defense, you might fit in well with one of the anti-griefer groups, such as the Green Lantern Corps.  Note that even these groups don't actually fight back...but they have a lot of experience in ways to discourage griefers while still remaining within the Terms of Service themselves.

Finally, as for changing your Home.  You can set your Home spot to any of the following types of locations:  

• Linden-owned public land
  • Land owned by a group you belong to, if your group role allows it.  For example, if you join the Oxbridge University group, you can set your Home position to a couple of different spots on their campus.
  • Land that you own or rent

I definitely recommend changing your Home spot to something other than Social Island.

• Like 2

julisees said:

And as far as script writing from the great "Rolig Loon" himself? You would really choose to belittle your abilities just to dig in like the rest like a bunch of vultures?

No wonder better script writers think your done.

I'm not quite sure what this means, but I asked a simple question. I would like to tackle the scripting challenge you posed, but I want to know what I should be trying to detect. An LSL script has to have well-defined parameters.  Even then, there are many things that you cannot do with a script.  Before I start trying to solve a problem with a script, I need to understand exactly what problem to solve.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, julisees said:

You're just a nit-picking pedantic troll who thinks that post count and rep validates whatever cr@p you have to say.

25 minutes ago, julisees said:

It was a recommendation. Not a demand. But whatever, I guess post count and rep gives everyone a pass to nit-pick a post and be a pedantic quote junkie troll. Do what you want. This post is DOA. So is this forum IMO...lol and yes I get to laugh as I log out of this stupid forum. Good riddance me! (ya im having fun now!). See you in SL...old-timers...lol

So basically you were looking for only people under a certain post count to reply to your thread and then delete things when nobody seemed to be shocked there are griefers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, julisees said:

You're amazing!

It's a curse I have to deal with :)

5 minutes ago, julisees said:

Sorry I didn't see this post. Its WAY UP THERE and my "." posts are WAY Down there!

I use "sort by date"  so I can see posts in order

6 minutes ago, julisees said:

I get to have fun at all of your expense. Thank you so much.

You're welcome.  Happy Friday :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:
julisees said:

And as far as script writing from the great "Rolig Loon" himself? You would really choose to belittle your abilities just to dig in like the rest like a bunch of vultures?

No wonder better script writers think your done.

I'm not quite sure what this means, but I asked a simple question. I would like to tackle the scripting challenge you posed, but I want to know what I should be trying to detect. An LSL script has to have well-defined parameters.  Even then, there are many things that you cannot do with a script.  Before I start trying to solve a problem with a script, I need to understand exactly what problem to solve.

Scripts are disabled on Social Island anyway.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, julisees said:

*my reports where a waste of time or not?=

no, they never are... but somtimes there's not enough proof / reason for LL to act on it.

*upgrading to a premium account would perhaps would improve my chances or not?

no

*Should I just give up and try and not fester a grudge towards LL if I'm to last in SL?

thats your own choice...

I've spent alot of Lindens so far...

so?

my advice would be, pick your home somewhere else... those regions always been, and will be, a very warm nest for people who like to bother others.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, julisees said:

So that's your answer. Considering it was a pointless question to begin with.

yes

there are several of these threads..... why ..... the answer is : dunno, but to avoid it, find another place to hang out.

Your proof of griefing doesn't mean it is actual griefing, perhaps it's just annoying ..... If there's a real serious of TOS LL will act on it. (at least that's my experience)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, julisees said:

Considering it was a pointless question to begin with.

If not pointless, at least a story the old-timers have heard so many times before, they've given up on it.

Protecting the newcomers at Social Island and the infohubs against something as basic as a griefing follower isn't even difficult:

One minute autoreturn + no object entry + no building = no followers

There are of course more advanced griefing techniques that are harder to protect people against but something as basic as what you describe shouldn't even be possible to do.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, julisees said:

your "so?"

my "so" was aimed... and clearly pointed, even quoted to your :

8 hours ago, julisees said:

I've spent alot of Lindens so far...

... lets say thát is really relevant in the battle against griefers ...

post/rep count is of no relevance at all, also people without a high amount of posts/reps are totally welcome, and able, to give perfect answers here.

25 minutes ago, julisees said:

So as you are not a representative of LL

communication with LL goes by support/live chat. Here you get responses of SL residents.

26 minutes ago, julisees said:

But don't think a moment you are educating me on anything. Don't let your high post count and rep score get to your heads.

good lord no... of course we don't think that, some people are so blinded by their own thinking "we" gave up that hope already after your first reply.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, julisees said:

Forums in this format are mob rule I don't give a ***** anymore.

Sorry to see you getting such a poor welcome to the forum. :(

I think the reason why people reacted so badly to your question is that we've all heard the same story so many times before and we know it's important but there's nothing we can do about it. We're all just regular users here after all. It's quite frustrating and of course, it's always easy to blame the messenger for the message.

12 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I'm a reasonably smart scripter. What would you like to detect, and how do you suggest doing it? Keep in mind that there is no way for a script to tell when one person or object is being pushed by another one. And no way to tell whether a person is a griefer by looking at his age or payment status. If you have a good idea, I would love to take a crack it making it work, but I can't think of one myself.

Heres your opportunity. 

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Social Island 6/30/94/8191

*Avatar is is 0.29 and invisible: No profile no overhead indicators. Stuck in a state of arrival/teleportation.

*I have a movelock

*fly override

I believe I was successful in gettting the other accounts banned (assumption).

Another account using the same exploit but part of a grid of accounts used for griefing.

How would a sim detect this? At what point is an avi able to push in a no push sim? Perhaps remaining in a state of arrival/teleportation? If an avi never fully rezzes. Can a sim detect that?

Remember this point of my post was not ME asking for help it was ME taking on the challenge. And quote bombing me and replying out of context is easy pointlessness.

I'm about to submit a report with pretty much conclusive evidence.

Perhaps LL should consider a patch that 1) Removes avis from a sim that don't fully rez after a timeout.

I don't back down from a challenge and I h8 bullies and forum pedantic quote junkie trolls that respond first and skew the topic so OT that there is not point to it anymore.

There it is stuck at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Social Island 6/33/96/7752

Snapshot_001.png

Edited by julisees

5 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

So basically you were looking for only people under a certain post count to reply to your thread and then delete things when nobody seemed to be shocked there are griefers

You concluded that? WOW do you have tomorrows lottery numbers too? You're amazing! Sorry I didn't see this post. Its WAY UP THERE and my "." posts are WAY Down there! LOL

I get to have fun at all of your expense. Thank you so much.

2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

FYI people who start threads do not own them. All threads are public property. 

It was a recommendation. Not a demand. But whatever, I guess post count and rep gives everyone a pass to nit-pick a post and be a pedantic quote junkie troll. Do what you want. This post is DOA. So is this forum IMO...lol and yes I get to laugh as I log out of this stupid forum. Good riddance me! (ya im having fun now!). See you in SL...old-timers...lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.