Sign in to follow this  
Memo Opaque

Baking of Glassy Objects

Let's say you have an object like a bottle above. It has 2 layers (as thickness) and a face in the middle for the liquid. The common model which most of creators use for their transparent bottles with liquid inside. I just wonder which way do you prefer to bake textures of such mesh. Because when you use glass node, each face affects eachother....like outer glass layer bakes what is behind it too.

Screenshot_14.png.de20e16a4c6b0b3b616b816b87ec03aa.png

• Like 1

I don't have an answer to the question you are asking for, but since nobody has replied as yet, I just throw in my 2 cents on the matter. Personally I do prefer in-world specularity, combined with some environmental reflection on glass objects, rather than baking these effects into a texture.

I saw some bottles using shine effects inworld (if you mean that), but...umm.. i donno they look alittle plastic-like(especially for dark coloured glasses), not giving glass effect so good.

Edited by Memo Opaque

This isn't really an effect that can be achieved in SL - The only kind of refraction we get in-world is the sim water from Windlight. If you do bake glass from blender it's only going to look correct from certain angles, just go with the inworld method of specular and transparency, even bake a solid fake reflection map for the glass.

Remember, live games are all about fakery to appease the memory used, not CGI.

1 hour ago, Zoxin said:

This isn't really an effect that can be achieved in SL - The only kind of refraction we get in-world is the sim water from Windlight. If you do bake glass from blender it's only going to look correct from certain angles, just go with the inworld method of specular and transparency, even bake a solid fake reflection map for the glass.

Remember, live games are all about fakery to appease the memory used, not CGI.

Even using transparent on both outer and inner surfaces another problem. Once i was told to use different materials inner and outer surfaces when i use alpha on them. So they would not overlap. Well i use only transparency on faces still i made those surfaces with different materials. If i make inner face no transparent it works normal. if i use transparent on inner face, outer face looks as if it is 90% percent transparent although it is %5-10 transparent. I searched a little, but no result.

Edited by Memo Opaque