Laydee2u

Mesh issue making scripts die..

Hi all, I have a really nice new mesh store building that I bought on mp and I am setting up my vendors at the moment and have come across an issue that's really bugging me and I'd like to know what could be going on, if you can help.

The mesh store is from a really good creator in secondlife and the vendors and scripts that I am using are what I would call great quality, so I doubt its a dodgy mesh or bad script issue. 

I rezzed my store, placed it, stored the build when I was happy. I did move it after storing it just a bit. I set up my vendors and tested them and they worked just fine. So when it came to placing the vendors on the mesh wall, I touched the vendor and nothing happened except I got pulled towards the wall and hopped against it. Its as if the script dies and wont work near the mesh wall?

I pulled the vendor away from the wall and it works just fine, but if I place it back on the mesh wall...nothing.

Does anybody know in here with your experience of mesh buildings what could be the issue? I really don't want to go with another mesh build, I like the one I have.

Thanks in advance

You may find that the physics thickness of the wall is greater than the visual thickness. So when you place the vendor, you are actually moving inside the physical shape. 

You can try a look at the store's wall with Developer->Render Metadata->Physics Shapes set.  This isn't conclusive though, because it is showing you the viewer's understanding of the physics, not the server's - and they are different.

Edited by anna2358
  • Like 2

Thank you anna, I don't really understand but I did that and there are just blue lines everywhere. Its a mesh issue so then you think? I should wait for the creator to respond to me and hopefully she can fix it. 

31 minutes ago, Laydee2u said:

Thank you anna, I don't really understand but I did that and there are just blue lines everywhere. Its a mesh issue so then you think? I should wait for the creator to respond to me and hopefully she can fix it. 

Yes the Render Metadata is confusing, isn't it?

But if you cam-in on, say a doorway edge, you should be able to see the shape of the physics.

I should add that even though there are lots of mesh designers who make lovely buildings, some are not so hot at getting the physics right - it's an art in itself.  Good luck getting a good response from yours.

If you look elsewhere on this forum, you will find excellent explanations of how to understand physics.  Look for posts by Chinrey, Whirly Fizzle, and Beq Janus (and lot's of others) - that's how I learned.

If unsure if physics, you can run a test too -  you can select the wall on edit linked parts, and set mesh to None versus prim - that should remove the physics shape (make sure you only have the edit linked part selected not the whole build) - if that fixes it you know it's a physics issue.  You can then keep it as None and perhaps rez a transparent prim to ensure nobody can walk through the wall if the creator does not solve the issue for you.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your replies, it was the physics of the wall that was the issue. The creator never contacted me to help. I just binned the store and built my own from full permission and mesh walls and bits. It doesn't look as good but I can use my vendors. I can't believe that store still has the nerve to sell that store when its walls are like this. Thank you all for your help, it was great to learn a little about mesh. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Laydee2u said:

Thank you all for your replies, it was the physics of the wall that was the issue. The creator never contacted me to help. I just binned the store and built my own from full permission and mesh walls and bits. It doesn't look as good but I can use my vendors. I can't believe that store still has the nerve to sell that store when its walls are like this. Thank you all for your help, it was great to learn a little about mesh. 

Not everything that looks pretty and has a big name actually works. Alas.

You CAN however use the building you bought, turn it phantom and then put invisible prims "inside" the walls to act as the physics. Actually a fair amount of house makers still do this (again, alas).  DO NOT LINK THEM :D

Unfortunately you really can't test the physics all that well before it belongs to you.  Good luck.

• Like 2