Tainakachan

Videos of Creating "Stuff"

Question

Hello everyone,

I saw some Videos on YT how to create "Clothes" but its hard to understand. I wanted to create some "Clothes" for the Character Ingame, so i can wear it and sell it if its good. I sadly have zero expirience in that but i wanna learn and create something on my own. So then here is the Question;

Are there any good YT Videos for People who are just starting with "Edditing"? I mean i saw alot of videos but it's kinda not Beginner Friendly. 

And what Programs to use? I know how to use Photoshop but that's all. 
So Please help me :)

Greetings and thanks to everyone.

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Tainakachan said:

Hello everyone,

I saw some Videos on YT how to create "Clothes" but its hard to understand. I wanted to create some "Clothes" for the Character Ingame, so i can wear it and sell it if its good. I sadly have zero expirience in that but i wanna learn and create something on my own. So then here is the Question;

Are there any good YT Videos for People who are just starting with "Edditing"? I mean i saw alot of videos but it's kinda not Beginner Friendly. 

And what Programs to use? I know how to use Photoshop but that's all. 
So Please help me :)

Greetings and thanks to everyone.

Clothes are some of the most difficult things to make unless you want to make TEXTURE clothes (these days the textures go on bodies via an "applier" system). If you want to make the typical mesh clothing then FIRST you need to learn 3D modeling. The most popular program for that in SL is Blender --- partly because it is free and opensource :D.

I have a almost start at the beginning series of Blender modeling for SL. First though you will probably want to watch a video on the BLENDER INTERFACE (should be pretty easy to find one or two to watch. I think Blender Cookie has a good one.

Meanwhile my series is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8u00idO1kA&list=PLnUjXtZrc64laa7-1NUSY8pjXedwQj7kn

• Like 1

Even though they are not used for clothes as much these days, you should also learn the built-in creation tools in Second Life.  There is a great set of walk-through tutorials at The Ivory Tower Library of Primitives in the Natoma region.  In fact, I think this is where I would recommend you start your journey into learning to create for Second Life.

You will need skills in image creation, for the clothing textures.  If you don't have Photoshop, the free GIMP software is nearly as good, and there are many tutorials for it on the web.

You will need skills in creating 3D models, since most clothing these days is mesh.  The free Blender program is powerful and popular.  In addition, there are plugins for Blender specifically aimed at making clothing easier.  Do a Google search for "Avastar".  It's not free, but you may want to add it, once you are familiar with Blender itself.

Warning:  Neither GIMP or Blender is quick or easy to learn!  Think of each one as if you were signing up for a semester-long college course.  Dedicate at least one hour per day to working with the program, going through a tutorial, trying things with the interface, making your own objects and images.  Do not think that you will be making beautiful clothes right away.  Start with simple things!

You will also need some skills with scripting.  Scripts are used to power applier HUDs that apply different textures to your mesh objects.  There are free LSL script editors, and several free libraries of scripts that you can modify for your own purposes.  Again, Google search will be your friend here.

I am not trying to discourage you...in fact, I applaud your ambition!  Just realize that this is not something you're going to pick up in a weekend.

I will echo what Chic and Lindal said, if only to emphasize their basic message:  Making clothes is not a job for amateurs in SL. It's one of the most challenging creative jobs, even if you take a shortcut route and use templates that other people have made.  Sadly, many of those templates are deeply flawed so that they leave someone wearing the clothes either looking half naked from a distance or looking like a "jelly doll" to other people.  Creating good 3D models takes talent and experience.

I had a clothing shop in SL for several years myself and gave it up as a bad idea once mesh clothing became possible. I am a reasonably good 3D modeller and I have years of Photoshop experience, but I recognized that the extra challenge of rigging and weighting clothing well was going to be enough of a frustration to kill the fun for me. (Besides, my heart and my real talent is really in scripting anyway, but that's another story. ;) )  Like Lindal, I am not trying to discourage you but to let you know up front that this is not something that you can expect to be good at after a weekend of watching YouTube videos.  If you have talent and perseverance, you may be able to make good clothes for your avatar (not "character") after several months of hard work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

but I recognized that the extra challenge of rigging and weighting clothing well was going to be enough of a frustration to kill the fun for me.

It took me several tries and a big commitment ("give it a month of 8 hour days") before I ever got Blender to be the least bit friendly. More tutorials now and that helps for sure. I have tried clothes twice now and while the third time may be the charm it is indeed the weighting that is the killer LOL.