36 minutes ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

... Until the laws will aknowledge that there can be a type of emotional violence without physical aggression which can have the same level of trauma than a physical rape. It's been clinically proven. But as long as this topic is taboo, I don't believe it's a problem of english language.

So I don't really care how it's renamed but 3 pages of protestions that it doesn't exist, it's a pretention, it's the victim's choice, the OP must be troll, etc etc..., I don't believe I'm the one who has undestanding problems.

Firstly, please do not make statements  saying something has been 'clinically proven' unless you are going to provide the specific links to this miraculous research. Primarily because the phrase 'clinically proven' is itself meaningless.

Secondly, the Law does acknowledge emotional abuse. It doesn't matter how much you stamp your feet to say it doesn't, it actually does. And in practise the prosecutor and judge will take into account its severity if guilt is proven in court.

Lastly, that you state you don't care about how its named is precisely the point of the article referenced by the OP. You are more concerned about what you believe your virtual experience entitles you to believe and totally disregard the realities of the real world, where professionals in Law endeavour to define these types of things. It is not the victims choice. It isn't about having your own personal emotional experience validated simply because you believe you have the right to. A person who presents with claims that 'I feel like I have been raped" after an encounter in a virtual environment needs counselling to make them understand that what they are 1. unable to understand their own emotions and 2. that they are having difficulties in attribution. That someone would make these types of claims indicates attention seeking behaviour, and that they are looking for sympathy and validation for some perceived wrong that they believe or have convinced themselves has been done to them. To conflate the experience of actual rape with any type of emotional harassment or abuse that may occur on-line is insulting.

I will reiterate, rape requires physical contact. There is no such thing in reality as virtual rape, or emotional rape. There never will be.

So yes, you are having trouble understanding.

Edited by Derek Torvalar
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

Secondly, the Law does acknowledge emotional abuse. It doesn't matter how much you stamp your feet to say it doesn't, it actually does.

No, that's not what I said.

11 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

It is not the victims choice.

3 pages from forumers claiming that it is but none from me.

13 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

You are more concerned about what you believe your virtual experience entitles you to believe and totally disregard the realities of the real world

I'm clearly not the one who introduces the realities of the real world here.

14 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

So yes, you are having trouble understanding.

cf what I've just pointed. Enough said.

• Haha 1

Oh for ...

It is quite clear that you have a bit of an issue understanding what some have said here Morgan, otherwise you'd not be conflating people talking about having control over their experience using a computer program or even social media with the distinct lack of control a person has outside of such environments.

Seriously, enough is enough.