28 minutes ago, BatGirlMeow said:
31 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

Post the article.

I already posted it. 

Where?

The only links in this thread were posted by Morgan Rosenstar and Rhonda Huntress.

3 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

This is the first mention on search of the possible articles the OP is talking about.

https://www.wired.com/2007/05/sexdrive-0504/

The inference of the OP ("I already posted it") was that they had already posted the link in this thread. Perhaps if they had linked to it like they said they had, you wouldn't have had to search for yourself to find the one that it possibly could have been.

(ETA: No dig at you, Derek. I've done the dissertation thing myself, so I'm well-versed in 'cite your sources'.)

Edited by Skell Dagger

1 hour ago, BatGirlMeow said:

You said it "that starts to harass you". Some people are more fragile than others and even the start of a harassment can affect them. 

Why the harsh word "repulsive" ? So you think that online bullying doesn't exist ? People that are bullied on Facebook can also block their bullies. That doesn't mean that the bullying didn't happen. People can harass you on SL just like on Facebook. 

Just because you have all control doesn't mean that others do. Sometimes the victim simply doesn't know how to respond to the violence, so they just stand there. 

Where are you pulling those statements from? I never even mentioned online bullying, as its a different topic and not what we are currently talking about. And I chose the word repulsive, because thats what it is, comparing a real life rape case with someone who couldn't figure out to press the little box in the corner of their screen to close the program. Those are just so much different levels of experiances. And based on that, I'm against using the term "rape" in research about Second Life.

• Like 2

Just now, Skell Dagger said:

The inference of the OP ("I already posted it") was that they had already posted the link in this thread. Perhaps if they had linked to it like they said they had, you wouldn't have had to search for yourself to find the one that it possibly could have been.

she has a thread in the Answers section too,... same subject..

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

I know right. Sloppy referencing, -2 on the grade. LOL

I am betting it won't be from an APA Journal.

9 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

she has a thread in the Answers section too,... same subject..

Ah, so that's where they posted the link: on a thread from 2011 in a completely different section of this website. Damn, my psychic abilities must be failing me... :D

For everyone else who doesn't visit other parts of the site, the link that the OP posted is this one (French language).

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

Are you sure you posted the article and the journal it came from?

Not that that really matters at this point.

You might think about changing the title of your research to something like. 'Exercises in  futility; Ridiculous notions of ridiculous research projects undertaken on ridiculous topics in ridiculous computer environments'

QFT

9 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Ah, so that's where they posted the link: on a thread from 2011 in a completely different section of this website. Damn, my psychic abilities must be failing me... :D

For everyone else who doesn't visit other parts of the site, the link that the OP posted is this one (French language).

Uhm.. okay ? I took a topic for another one, there's no big deal. 

13 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

I know right. Sloppy referencing, -2 on the grade. LOL

I am betting it won't be from an APA Journal.

Everything is in APA 

Back to the topic that I think the OP actually wants to discuss - perceived violence in SL:  

People new to SL, not fully knowing about the tools available, might find themselves in situations where they are feeling victimized (harassed, verbally abused, griefed, etc...).  I do feel for those people as it can be quite upsetting until they come to know the environment and all of the methods available to them to deal with such situations - though they should still have enough wherewithall to click that 'X' to just shut things down. IMO, anyone that is so traumatized by said incidents that they freeze up or end up with negative rollover to RL (nightmares, etc...) needs to recognize that they still need to deal with their original trauma and should stay out of SL until that is done. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BatGirlMeow said:

Uhm.. okay ? I took a topic for another one, there's no big deal. 

I wrote my response to this somewhere else on the forum. You'll have to go and look for it.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Back to the topic that I think the OP actually wants to discuss - perceived violence in SL:  

People new to SL, not fully knowing about the tools available, might find themselves in situations where they are feeling victimized (harassed, verbally abused, griefed, etc...).  I do feel for those people as it can be quite upsetting until they come to know the environment and all of the methods available to them to deal with such situations - though they should still have enough wherewithall to click that 'X' to just shut things down. IMO, anyone that is so traumatized by said incidents that they freeze up or end up with negative rollover to RL (nightmares, etc...) needs to recognize that they still need to deal with their original trauma and should stay out of SL until that is done. 

Thank you, this is kind of what I'm talking about. (without the judgement haha, but you're right, I guess SL is not a platform for fragile souls). 

11 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

This thread makes me want to set the forums on fire.

Yes.  I wish there was a way to ignore content for a thread.  These threads that make me angry - because they are purposefully written by ignorant trolls to generate controversy and piss people off - need a "destruct" button. Plus, I've seen enough of these fakey "I'm a Psych major", or "I'm a Psychologist", or "I wrote a book" posts.

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

These threads that make me angry - because they are purposefully written by ignorant trolls to generate controversy and piss people off

To clarify my comment above:  If you want to know something this stupid (as stupid as the OP's question) - do not ask in the Forums. Asking here merely makes you a "troll". Go make a Second Life account, create an Avatar, and ask other avatars.  That is where you will get a "good" answer.  The Forums users are a microscopic subset of the overall population of Second Life - and we do not fit the "standard deviation" of SL users. Because of this, you will NOT get accurate answers to your questions.  If you think you will get "good" information here without going into Second Life and asking Avatars directly, you are either deceived, delusional, or both.

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

(...) I'm disputing that 'physical rape' is possible in an online environment. 

Is it the topic? I don't read it is about physical rape.

2 hours ago, BatGirlMeow said:

I guess SL is not a platform for fragile souls). 

I think this is true of most social platforms.

I haven't time to read the entire thread, but I've mentioned before (years ago, probably) that people's investments here can give bad actors quite a bit of leverage. That investment can be in one's own reputation, an intimate relationship or in circles of friendship. And that can explain why some people won't click "X" and log out. So, even people who are not extremely vulnerable can find themselves in a quandary when confronted by an asshat. Those of us here who've heard the horror stories over the years may have become a little jaded. It's hard to remember when everything was new and we looked to belong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

Is it the topic? I don't read it is about physical rape.

I did mistate that - I should have said that I dispute that it is "actual rape".  

Everyone will pleased to know that in the Answers thread the OP has admitted to Rolig that, yes, she does need to rethink her methodology and that she worded  the OP wrong, ie her Operational Definitions need to be tightened up. As was pointed out to her on a previous page, which she refuted.

It should also be brought to everyone's attention that the Journal Cahiers de Psychologie Clinique, where the article in question in which the OP took their inspiration for this 'research'  does NOT require peer review and only "may" consult with members of the scientific community. Further, the article in question is not a research study but merely an opinion piece in a collection of similar articles on identity and virtual worlds. Any references to Adam in the article do NOT come close to the accepted scholarly presentation of a Case Study.

I suggest the OP go back to their Advisor, she of the PhD  who green lighted this farce, decline to have her as their advisor and find someone with more methodological acumen.

To the OP, I'm sorry, I am not available in case you were thinking of asking. You could do a helluva lot worse, and did.

• Like 1

Not to sound trite when I'm aiming for sarcasm, but pretty sure there's websites that will provide you with all the violent rape stories (either fact or fiction) your little heart desires, rather than asking for SL Residents to provide it for you.

Why not go haunt those sites and ask their members to give you all the gory details, given that they've already demonstrated their eagerness to discuss it online in the first place?

Why zero in on Second Life specifically? You know full well it's going to be a moot discussion in here.  Sorry, but I smell a rat and I'm not buying the whole 'research/study/student' claim thing.

As others have said, there's no such thing as pixel rape in a VR and come to that, 'emotional rape' can't really be claimed, either - not when there are instantly accessible options available to block and ban people the instant they start talking rubbish. 

Second Life isn't real life; every experience in here is ultimately controllable by each and every one of us (albeit after the fact in some cases, but still controllable). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AnyaJurelle said:

(...) 'emotional rape' can't really be claimed, either - not when there are instantly accessible options available to block and ban people the instant they start talking rubbish. 

Second Life isn't real life; every experience in here is ultimately controllable by each and every one of us (albeit after the fact in some cases, but still controllable). 

Your level of control on your emotions is amazing. You should consider to offer lessons.

• Like 1

C'mon Morgan.

Are you being willfully obtuse here or is there a problem with English you are having trouble with?

The physical nature of the act is what defines rape. As there is no physical contact between parties in a virtual environment, or there is no physical contact between parties in the real world, rape is just not possible. It is an assault, and assault requires physical contact.

Everything else is either emotional abuse or sexual harassment.

• Like 2

... Until the laws will aknowledge that there can be a type of emotional violence without physical aggression which can have the same level of trauma than a physical rape. It's been clinically proven. But as long as this topic is taboo, I don't believe it's a problem of english language.

So I don't really care how it's renamed but 3 pages of protestions that it doesn't exist, it's a pretention, it's the victim's choice, the OP must be troll, etc etc..., I don't believe I'm the one who has undestanding problems.

Edited by Morgan Rosenstar
  • Haha 1