Landmarks in Objects

LoganNJ1013

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello.  I'm still pretty new to SL and to any type of building or scripting, so I apologize if this is somewhat of an amateur question...or even a scripting question for that matter, but I'm wondering if there is a way essentially insert a landmark in an object.  I know there are numerous methods to TP from point to point within a sim, but is there a way to "script" an object to connect to another sim by touch or by walking into it...or even to offer multiple favorite sims via a menu or the like? 

For example, and this might be TMI, but a little background....I own a land-locked parcel that I wanted to place some vehicles on.  Aesthetically, it looked a little strange for vehicles to have "no where to go", so I added a tunnel to give the appearance of the possibility of travel beyond the ban lines.  But it got me thinking if there was a way to use the tunnel as an actual teleport to another sim or sims.

Anyway, thanks for any advice.

Snapshot_263.png

7 minutes ago, LoganNJ1013 said:

I'm wondering if there is a way essentially insert a landmark in an object.  I know there are numerous methods to TP from point to point within a sim, but is there a way to "script" an object to connect to another sim by touch or by walking into it...or even to offer multiple favorite sims via a menu or the like? 

The quick answer is yes.  There are script functions that will allow you to do this.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Portal

That is the place to start for anything scripting.  Check out the pages under Teleport to get an idea about what is available.

Yes, and no.  If your region is in an Experience, you can use llTeleportAgent to create very successful portals. Just put a LM in your portal object to tell the portal where to send people who drive in. (Visit Linden Lab's Horizons game and enter through the portal at the starting point to see how it works.)  If you don't have the advantage of Experience tools, though, llTeleportAgent will only teleport the script's owner.  The only alternatives are teleporters that require you to sit or click on something and then use llMapDestination or one of the local TP tricks.  Those are less exciting than llTeleportAgent but they work.

Thank you both for your replies!  I'm not sure I'm experienced enough to fully understand these suggestions...and if actual script creation is required on my part, I'm totally in the dark...lol.  But they both appear to be excellent places to start my search and to learn.  Thank you again!

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yes, and no.  If your region is in an Experience, you can use llTeleportAgent to create very successful portals. Just put a LM in your portal object to tell the portal where to send people who drive in. (Visit Linden Lab's Horizons game and enter through the portal at the starting point to see how it works.)  If you don't have the advantage of Experience tools, though, llTeleportAgent will only teleport the script's owner.  The only alternatives are teleporters that require you to sit or click on something and then use llMapDestination or one of the local TP tricks.  Those are less exciting than llTeleportAgent but they work.

You can teleport the avatars but the vehicles remain behind. Per the wiki for llTeleportAgent: Sitting avatars cannot be teleported using this function. The driver would have to stand up (thus leaving the vehicle) to be teleported. A vehicle that you wear will go with you, of course.

Just now, Parhelion Palou said:

You can teleport the avatars but the vehicles remain behind. Per the wiki for llTeleportAgent: Sitting avatars cannot be teleported using this function. The driver would have to stand up (thus leaving the vehicle) to be teleported. A vehicle that you wear will go with you, of course.

That's true, but take a look at the way the epic glytch followers in the new Tyrah/Glytch game work, for example. If you've managed to capture one of them, you'll see that it follows you nicely as you teleport. There's a bit of slight of hand involved, because the follower actually dies and it rezzed again at the destination -- so it doesn't work if you TP to a no-rez area -- but when it works, it's a good way to get a vehicle or a follower to keep up with you.

That's cool, but you must be wearing something that's keeping track of where you are (or that the previous follower is no more) so that it knows when to rez the new copy of the follower (or vehicle). To be nice to landowners you'd want the vehicle to kill itself when you're no longer nearby. You'd also want to teleport to rez areas on roads/seas/whatever. Interesting idea.

9 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

To be nice to landowners you'd want the vehicle to kill itself when you're no longer nearby.

Yup, and a few other niceties that would make it kind to the owner and bystanders.  The basic idea is pretty simple, though.  And yes, you do need to wear a HUD that doubles as a rezzer.

Thanks again, everyone....My concern wasn't so much about transporting the vehicles, though.  They were really just the catalyst for the idea of whether or not it was possible to "script" an object (in this case, the tunnel) to provide one, or a list of "favorite" LM(s) which can then teleport you to them anywhere in SL.  Thanks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.