Teyla Firethorn

Premium Account

Hi All

This has been asked a million times over but I have been away from SL for quite some time and haven't had premium in years. Is it still worth getting in 2017?

I might of answered my own question but I worked out I would be getting approx AU$9.50 worth of Lindens a month from the weekly stipend, I don't rent a place and I usually go to sandboxes to rezz so the free home could be used for something more private.

I used to buy Lindens every couple of weeks for clothes and what not so the 300L a week could be used to go shopping at the end of each month to spoil myself.

I thought i'd grab the 3 monthly deal that is currently going on which is why I am asking. :)

Edited by Teyla Firethorn

Whether or not it is worth it is very much a personal decision. 

I like having a home where I do not have to log in weekly or monthly to pay someone rent, nor worry about them up and leaving SL.  The Linden Homes are nice little starter homes, as is taking the 512 tier and applying it to a piece of mainland.  Having some private sandboxes is sometimes nice too, and that stipend is a nice offset of the premium fee.  Another really nice recent addition to the benefits has been the 'Premium bonus to events' - if you like going to events when they are really popular and busy.  That benefit basically allows a few Premiums to get into an otherwise full sim.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

Thanks Jewell, I decided to go ahead and give 3 months a go. Figured it's a good way to dip my feet back into premium. I was looking for a place to rent and worked out it would cost me about $400 a week for what I was looking at so works out cheaper for me to go premium.

Just for the future, the YEARLY choice is by far the best deal and has always been.  So you might want to change to yearly after your three months is up :D.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I didn't realise after all this time you can get a 512 mainland plot to buy instead of using the Linden home, now the fun begins trying to work out the best way of finding a nice plot to buy :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just for the future, the YEARLY choice is by far the best deal and has always been.  So you might want to change to yearly after your three months is up :D.

Actually, if they are running one of their specials, it is cheaper to take the quarterly special at first and then bump to yearly when the quarter comes to an end.

6 hours ago, Teyla Firethorn said:

I didn't realise after all this time you can get a 512 mainland plot to buy instead of using the Linden home, now the fun begins trying to work out the best way of finding a nice plot to buy :)

Technicality here but, you do not actually get a 512 'plot'. You get a 512 tier allowance to apply to any mainland plot.  If you buy a 512 plot then you will not have to pay anything above your premium fee.  If you buy a 1024 plot, then you'll pay an additional $5 per month for the extra 512, etc... (see your account dashboard, Land Manager, Land Use Fees)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, if they are running one of their specials, it is cheaper to take the quarterly special at first and then bump to yearly when the quarter comes to an end.

Yes, I knew that but honestly I am sure that they get LOTS of folks  forget to make the "to yearly" change (if they stick with it) or forget to cancel (if they don't) -- hence the reoccurring specials a few times a year.  Same with so many reoccurring charges in real life.  

For those who signed up on the deal (or on a similar future deal) here is where you can change your payment method.

managemembership.JPG.682dbbdfd3a9fc10902a0fff9e8050ae.JPG

like previously said the 512m parcel is nice to have (and you can use it to buy mainland parcel, and have the first 512m tier free).  I also think the weekly stipend of 300 l$ is pretty great, I dont login that much anymore, but when I do login, its nice to see my wallet increase so much even that it saved me a couple of times going to lindex to buy some lindens. So just for that the premium is saving me money.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pandora Barzane said:

like previously said the 512m parcel is nice to have (and you can use it to buy mainland parcel, and have the first 512m tier free).  I also think the weekly stipend of 300 l$ is pretty great, I dont login that much anymore, but when I do login, its nice to see my wallet increase so much even that it saved me a couple of times going to lindex to buy some lindens. So just for that the premium is saving me money.

Well you ARE paying in that money actually. LOL.  Whether you pay your premium yearly or monthly, you pay Linden Lab and The Lab "gives you back" some of your money. 

Long ago before I joined the stipend was 500. I only know one person that still gets that (a friend of a friend who I have met in SL). Before that there was the ability to get a "forever" account. This of course was when the grid was very new. I suspect the whole deal with the payment and the stipend came about for cash flow purposes.  It is still a good thing for both the lab and the citizens. 

But LL  isn't ACTUALLY giving you anything :D.   You can live just as well by NOT being Premium as has been discussed on these forums many times.   

It's all just a matter of choice and if the other perks like more groups and easy access to busy events are worth it to you. 

• Like 3

I have been debating going Premium as well and am wondering if my calculations are correct:

$72 a year premium is the equivalent of 17,712L a year but due to the weekly 300L stipend, you get back 14,400 of those lindens which means you are really only paying 3,312L for premium, which is $13.47 per year.

If I were to purchase double prim land which gives me 702 prims per 1024 sqm, I could essentially sell the weekly 300L and put it towards the extra 512 tier - I'd probably only have to pay about 50 cents per month extra for the land use fee, depending on the exchange rate. 

Normally 702 prims would cost 3690L per month, which would be a whopping 44,256L a year ($179.91). So in essence, I'd be saving $166.44 by going Premium.

Are these calculations correct? I only had 4 hrs of sleep so my brain is a little wonky. 

1 hour ago, Sadvhi said:

I have been debating going Premium as well and am wondering if my calculations are correct:

$72 a year premium is the equivalent of 17,712L a year but due to the weekly 300L stipend, you get back 14,400 of those lindens which means you are really only paying 3,312L for premium, which is $13.47 per year.

It is a bit over $1 a month yes. 

1 hour ago, Sadvhi said:

If I were to purchase double prim land which gives me 702 prims per 1024 sqm, I could essentially sell the weekly 300L and put it towards the extra 512 tier - I'd probably only have to pay about 50 cents per month extra for the land use fee, depending on the exchange rate. 

Your double prim 1024 is going to be PRICEY to start out with. It isn't free, so that needs to be figured in somewhere.   It will cost you $5 US tier per month (it would be "free" if you made a premium alt and a group and both donated to that group).  IF you trade in the $300 (or $600 if you go the alt rout) to pay tier you can't also count that in your "final costs above". You are "double dipping" so to speak. So one or the other.

The two alts being premium is your best bet moneywise (again talked about here often) BUT if you want a double prim lot --- again VERY VERY EXPENSIVE.  Someone sold some Horizon land here for $21,000 and it went very quickly. I went over and checked prices after that and saw WHY it went so quickly LOL.  You might find a deal, but don't count on that. 

1 hour ago, Sadvhi said:

Normally 702 prims would cost 3690L per month, which would be a whopping 44,256L a year ($179.91). So in essence, I'd be saving $166.44 by going Premium.

Are these calculations correct? I only had 4 hrs of sleep so my brain is a little wonky. 

If you weren't premium then there is no way to tell what "normally" would be since private land has many different "leasing costs" (the equivalent of tier).  It should be noted however that you can almost always rent land for less on mainland (what you would have if premium) for LESS THAN TIER -- if you shop well.  If you pick a good landlord with a long history you have MOST of the power you would have on mainland. 

I think you need to get a bit more sleep before deciding. Premium in most cases doesn't actually SAVE you money except if you stick with the free tier lot  (and then too the COST of the lot would need to be amortized over time).  

I think most people have answered this question, but here's my take on it. 

I'm not a premium member...never have been. I really think it depends on what you want. If you want the house or property, then it's probably worth it.  If you're only after the "free" lindens, then you're better off just spending the money and buying them each week. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2017 at 4:29 PM, Teyla Firethorn said:

I used the world map every day to see what land was for sale (there's oodles) and the price is almost always listed on each one. If you see one you think you might like to check out, you can tp directly to it, buy it on the spot, and that's that; no messing about :)

I went premium because I wanted a mainland spot along the roadside somewhere.  I just wanted to put down roots, be part of the "world", and have a place for my friends to come hang out at.  Years ago, when I was a non-premium member and a homeless drifter in SL, my friends had an entire private sim of their own and always made me feel like I had a place to be, so in a lot of ways this is just me returning the favor for the ones who are still around.

Thank you, Chic Aeon, for the feedback and for clarifying the financial aspect! I decided to go premium last night because I have no self-control when it comes to spending in SL. The only way to prevent this is to not use my credit card at all to make purchases. Now that I'm premium, I will no longer be using my credit card to buy things/rent land, since it's all paid for the entire year and I will just use the weekly stipend to buy things. 

• Like 1

Since this post is likely going to come up easily in search, I wanted to add some info that I just found out (last eve) from a RL friend (so not a rumor LOL).

I thought I knew most stuff but this really surprised me. The person who I mentioned was getting 500 LI a week in stipend from LONG ago, changed their payment choice (like from monthly to yearly or yearly to quarterly -- I don't know that detail) and her 500 LI a week became 300 a week -- the current stipend base. I had never heard about that -- likely because most folks are getting 300 and most old timers don't make changes. 

There is of course a possibility that it was an error in the database and if that is the case I would appreciate a Linden replying if they see this. If so I will pass along that info and she can put in a ticket.

But definitely something for oldtimers to remember. 

35 minutes ago, Sadvhi said:

Thank you, Chic Aeon, for the feedback and for clarifying the financial aspect! I decided to go premium last night because I have no self-control when it comes to spending in SL. The only way to prevent this is to not use my credit card at all to make purchases. Now that I'm premium, I will no longer be using my credit card to buy things/rent land, since it's all paid for the entire year and I will just use the weekly stipend to buy things. 

And that is why lots of folks in the US "overpay" their taxes --- so that they get a refund of their own money the next year. Whatever works, works!   ;)

36 minutes ago, Sadvhi said:

Now that I'm premium, I will no longer be using my credit card to buy things/rent land, since it's all paid for the entire year and I will just use the weekly stipend to buy things. 

I still can't stop sometimes adding in extra $$.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

There is of course a possibility that it was an error in the database and if that is the case I would appreciate a Linden replying if they see this. If so I will pass along that info and she can put in a ticket.

I'd tell her to put in a ticket anyway to question / confirm it.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'd tell her to put in a ticket anyway to question / confirm it.

Actually she MAY have --- I just don't know that. Will mention. Either way, something to be aware of.  I know of course that if you LEAVE Premium and then JOIN again, you get the "current" (lower) stipend. Just never dreamed that changing billing choices would trigger the same change.  I am not premium so not important to me. Just very surprised.

• Like 1