Change display name

HughLazenby

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Also bear in mind that the 'profile card' as shown above is from the third party Firestorm viewer and is not available to users of the default Second Life viewer.

To change your display name in the standard Second Life viewer, follow these instructions (from the Second Life Knowledge Base):

Setting or changing your display name

You can change your display name once every seven days, but you can Reset it at any time, which makes it appear as your "classic" Second Life first name and last name, or your username.

To set or change your display name:

1. Log into Second Life.
  2. In the Second Life Viewer, click Me > Profile... or profile1.jpg in the toolbar.
  3. Click Edit Profile.
  4. Click Display Name.
  5. Type the desired display name in the field under New Display Name.
  6. Type the name again to confirm.
  7. Click Save.
Edited by wesleytron
Credited instructions to correct source
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
33 minutes ago, Magdalena Easterwood said:

Is there a way to raise my display name up higher than it is?   It overlaps my Unity meter and I can't read it.  Thank you very much.

Maggie

I don't know about moving the display name itself - it might be better to move the unity meter display up a little higher. 

Other options would be to turn off displaying names altogether, or just turn off displaying your own name - play around with the options in Preferences -> General tab - Name Tags section. 

2 hours ago, Magdalena Easterwood said:

Is there a way to raise my display name up higher than it is?   It overlaps my Unity meter and I can't read it.  Thank you very much.

Maggie

If you're on Firestorm, you can switch to "Legacy nametag positioning" in Preferences/General. I don't remember if this raises or lowers it, but either way it may help. Though it would definitely be easier to raise or lower your Unity tag instead.

• 9 months later...
6 hours ago, Azareth Kohime said:

Is there a way to change my FORUM Display name? I would like it to match my in world display name instead of my old name that I really don't like and wish I could change

Make 500 posts and you could at least change the title that appears under your name - you could change that to match your display name.

58 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

You could pay the $40 odd plus one month premium to change your account name. you'll probably have to take the "Resident" last name if none on the list work with your inworld display name 

Well, I don't think I want to change it enough to pay $40, but it's good to know that it's an option now. 

Edited by Azareth Kohime

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.