Scisslor Clip

Is it worth getting back into SL?

How should we know?

What defines "worth" for you?

This is a question about an entertainment product, after all, not a question about whether or not you should invest into a paper on the stockmarket.

• Like 6

Do whatever you feel like! smile.png It will cost you nothing. You will notice a lot of changes though; things are much more slick and  sophisticated (some would say complicated) than they were before, though you can always stick to the old-fashioned ways if you want.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Syo Emerald said:

How should we know?

What defines "worth" for you?

This is a question about an entertainment product, after all, not a question about whether or not you should invest into a paper on the stockmarket.

Good question..

It might not be a financial investment, but it's still potentially a significant investment of time. 

Not sure what worth it means to me, I'm more interested in what it means to others here and what they think about the state of SL currently and whether they would recommend getting into it. 

It sounds like one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions.  

I would always recommend people get into it.  I love SL with all its quirks and weirdos and the awesome people I have met, the builds people create and the fun twists along the way.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Scisslor Clip said:

Good question..

It might not be a financial investment, but it's still potentially a significant investment of time. 

Not sure what worth it means to me, I'm more interested in what it means to others here and what they think about the state of SL currently and whether they would recommend getting into it. 

Well, what made you leave and what made you consider joining again?

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Scisslor Clip said:

I'm more interested in what it means to others here

i don't see the relevance in that for you to come back in SL, it's always been and still what you make of it.

You come inworld again, or not, will not likely change our, but mostly your life.

• Like 3

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

i don't see the relevance in that for you to come back in SL, it's always been and still what you make of it.

You come inworld again, or not, will not likely change our, but mostly your life.

Maybe I phrased that badly. What I meant is that I'm interested in whether or not you guys feel it would be worth it to come into SL now, from your own perspective. 

3 minutes ago, Scisslor Clip said:

Maybe I phrased that badly. What I meant is that I'm interested in whether or not you guys feel it would be worth it to come into SL now, from your own perspective. 

go inworld and check yourself... find your own reasons?

Why ask others why you should come back? Simply do.... download a new viewer, and log in  ..

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Well, what made you leave and what made you consider joining again?

I left for a few reasons. I was busy with other things, and for a long time my computer's graphics card had a conflict with SL for some reason and couldn't run it very long without crashing. I have a new computer now and quite a bit of spare time on my hands. I also left for some personal reasons, but pretty much everybody I knew is inactive now so that's no longer an issue. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scisslor Clip said:

I came back almost 2 years ago after many years away from SL, but with a new avatar (mostly because I forgot login and password to old one). A lot has changed and from one hand I like current SL much more (the quality of creations, avatars, availability of many things) but from the other hand... not so much and that's mostly because of people around. Depends what you really expect from SL now. You can always give it a try and log in, as Alwin said. 

Edited by Kotelle
pre-coffee spelling
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

it's always been and still what you make of it.

Yes, I believe so too. At least that's why I'm logging in and enjoying SL. I suppose that the day I'll have nothing anymore to share, I'll probably stop to log in but for now, I've always something to do on SL.

• Like 1

It's always worth digging back into SL - it's an awesome environment for creativity and hang out.. I'd say go for it!

I've started again after being absent for so long. 2004 to be exact.

• Like 1

I'm not seeing the downside of just trying it and seeing if it interests you now.

Both SL and you are likely to have changed over the years, so it won't be quite like the "riding a bicycle" thing. Stuff you remember won't be the same now, and there's lots of new stuff. That may be either exciting or disappointing, perhaps depending on your personality.

Although it hasn't been mentioned, I can't help but wonder if the question is somewhat driven by concern that we're all just packing up to move to Sansar, and I too might have thought about that -- until I actually visited Sansar. (Personally, I'm just hoping the Lab will cut its Sansar losses while SL is still a viable fallback.)

• Like 3

A lot has changed so you may discover some new and interesting things on your return. SL definitely takes advantage of newer computers so your new experience should be better than before. There's no need for a significant investment of time either unless you make it that way. 

• Like 1

SL has not become worse than it was in the past, it has improved in many ways, you will find it more visually appealing, faster, with things that were not possible to exist before, thanks to the collaboration of Lindens and the community, activities have improved thanks to the new arrival of technology, concurrency i think has been about the same, you may not find many people in places they used to get together because of cultural changes, but you may find them in new places, searching under events.

if there is an activity you enjoy doing in the past, you probably will be able to do it again, some objects have resist the passing of time in this ever evolving world, you will probably find groups of all kinds of interests, they can lead you to the hottest places of their interest.

I think you are going to have a great time in current SL, you have previous knowledge of how it works.

one thing that you may have to learn is the new flexible interface, once you get the hang of it, there is nothing that can stop you.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Scisslor Clip said:

Should I get back into SL? I was a very active user from around 2007-2012 and am considering starting up again. 

Um why dont you just log in and find out for yourself. The second life community is not responsible for what you find worth or entertainment value in, its up to you.

10 hours ago, Scisslor Clip said:

Should I get back into SL? I was a very active user from around 2007-2012 and am considering starting up again. 

Come on in, the water's fine!! :D

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Scisslor Clip said:

I left for a few reasons. I was busy with other things, and for a long time my computer's graphics card had a conflict with SL for some reason and couldn't run it very long without crashing. I have a new computer now and quite a bit of spare time on my hands. I also left for some personal reasons, but pretty much everybody I knew is inactive now so that's no longer an issue. 

Then it sounds like your problems have been solved.

Return to sender :)

Many advances keep it relevant enough for me.

Like shopping for mesh clothes

and shopping for mesh clothes

then there's shopping for mesh clothes

and dancing <3 

and did I mention, you can dance while shopping for mesh clothes. 9_9

Luv u SL xx :D 

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've taken long breaks from SL but always end up returning. Not sure what you enjoyed the most when you were here, but chances are whatever it was that captured your attention is still around:)I'm an extreme introvert and spend all of my time in SL alone, yet I still find enough things to do to occupy my time. 

• Like 2