Thoughts On A Home For A Newbie

EllieFay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

So as someone who's not technically new but is new to the land/house scene and has hardly explored SL enough (I played a bit last year but have decided I'd love to be able to come on in my down time and chill and explore now a year later) I've decided I think when I start back up again I'd like to have a small place to call home!

However...I'm SO new to this part of SL it's a bit scary to me. I know the simple easy option is a Linden Home and I've looked into and considered it for the most part (I could easily afford $10 a month if I end up enjoying it, etc). Yet, I'd like to explore my other options in terms of renting a place!

I don't even know where to begin when it comes to talking to someone or finding a rental business...but I'd love some advice! First though, allow me to share my goals for this home:

Something small and cozy. No, I don't need a big house to call home. I'd love just the cutest and smallest of apartments or tiny home! I won't be starting out with anyone joining me or plan on starting a family (maybe? who knows?! probably not...but maybe!) so it's just little ole me.

The thought of being all alone is a bit sad, so being in a community would be lovely but not necessary. 

Honestly this home would just be to decorate a bit (make it cozy and cute so it feels like a second home) and to hangout alone/rezz purchases. 

Heck, I've even thought of just buying a tiny house and renting land to put it on. Yet I still don't know where to start this journey or which path I should take with this..I'm not too keen on paying a lot each week/month but depending on the area/home/apartment/etc it may just be worth it.

So...any advice? Which path would be most cost effective for someone like me and how would I begin my journey?

Most articles when I google this subject end up being ancient so I'm not sure what to trust. I'm still not even hip on the SL slang...yeesh.

Thank you for the help and I'm so excited to soon be part of this life. ♥♥

You can find places to rent that are cheaper than going premium. Most rentals on private estates are done by the week, so you can try different places to see what you like without spending much or committing to anything long-term. I know of some townhouses for rent that are L$200/week for 200 LI/prim allowance. That's about $3.50/month. I'm sure there are other places that are even less.

I suggest spending a day looking at the various rentals (apartments and homes) listed in the classified. Honestly I do this from time to time just for fun and to see what is out there. It is a very enjoyable time (I think so anyway) and you will likely have a MUCH better idea of what your choices are by the end of the day. 

From there, pick your favorite.  Communities are nice if you like company. And you can rent land easily for less than a linden a prim (mine is about .75 per prim) which gives you lots of options if you want to shop for a home and put down your own building and decorate.

There are so many options in SL the trick is finding what will work best for you. 

Yearly premium is about $1 US per month after your "stipend" so a Linden home is an option, but honestly they are getting a bit outdated by now and you can probably find something you like better.  

Now and then there are even free places if you are a peruser of the classifieds :D

3 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

You can find places to rent that are cheaper than going premium. Most rentals on private estates are done by the week, so you can try different places to see what you like without spending much or committing to anything long-term. I know of some townhouses for rent that are L$200/week for 200 LI/prim allowance. That's about $3.50/month. I'm sure there are other places that are even less.

I kind of figured premium was going to be a bit more expensive than just renting. I'm glad I asked now!

Oh wow, that actually sounds pretty amazing for a townhouse. I may have to go try to look into that!

I don't see how a premium subscription, with its weekly stipends and bundled house/land, is more expensive than any private rental. The annual premium fee is 72 US$, about 18,000 L$/year or 346/week. Subtract the 300 L$ weekly payment and your cost is 46 L$/week. Kind of hard to beat, if you like the house options.

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, angeoco said:

I don't see how a premium subscription, with its weekly stipends and bundled house/land, is more expensive than any private rental. The annual premium fee is 72 US$, about 18,000 L$/year or 346/week. Subtract the 300 L$ weekly payment and your cost is 46 L$/week. Kind of hard to beat, if you like the house options.

and add  the fact that the house doesn't count to your LI.  I agree, over the year it is a very good option.  We have a homestead  too but the escape to the linden home on restarts day, plus we needed a spot for a  backup vendor dropbox and this was better value than renting one of the storage places for it.

Well, I must say the more I look into homes/furniture...the more I want to think about even renting a small space for a house.
It's so bad! I was so keen on just getting a tiny box of a home, but now...I'm so inspired to decorate...I keep finding cute 1024m cottages/homes and it's sooo hard to resist. 

I feel as though I'm getting quite a bit ahead of myself but I also just want to dive right in! 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.