need advice on somthing wierd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

can i make or ask a person to sign a agreement to pay me back if i lend them 10500 Lindens or is this just something dumb ? this person is not from usa and i have no idea if they are male or female but  i did find out something wierd wont discus it but not sure   any advice is welcome :(

the lindens purchase says 10500 lindens are

Purchasing
L$ 10,500

US$ 42.52
Transaction Fee
US$ 0.60

US$ 43.12

I think if you willingly loan someone lindens its not protected by LL. Theres nothing binding you could really do to make sure they pay you back.

Personally, i wouldnt lend them the money. They have no obligation to pay you back and whatever they need money for now, they can acquire themselves later.

• Like 4

Openly discussing to "gift" L$ to someone who cannot buy them from SL for any reason might actually be frowned upon in terms of the TOS, me thinks...

But in theory, if I was personally considering such an arrangement, I'd let them pay me in advance by PayPal or preferably to my bank account, then I'd pass the inworld currency.
Be aware of PayPal, especially when using the Family & Friends option, that the payer can quite easily withdraw the payment and send you into a negative balance.
They want a favor of you, quite a big one actually, why should you take the risks? 

Beyond any regulations in LL's realms, you are free to come up with any kind of personal contract that both of you agree to. Enforcing it and effectively getting your money out of that agreement is a completely different topic...

• Like 2

That person may sign your agreement but is in no way obligated to pay. There is no way to force them to pay you if they decide not to. The amount is far too low to consider for any kind of legal or law enforcement action. LL won't help. They're from another country? Might as well set that money on fire.

• Like 2

No agreement you could come up with in SL is enforceable.  Think of it like going to Las Vegas, don't put out more than you can afford to lose.  While I have been know to give that much away before, I also don't trust anyone and would never expect to see that money again.  Do you like the person well enough to give them 50 bucks?  That is what you are doing after all. Agreements are not worth the paper they are printed on.  You are giving that person money.  Whether or not they decide to give you money later entirely up to them.

• Like 3

LL isn't going to act as a guarantor and being that this person is from another country; if they decided to walk away, the cost in terms of legal fees will far exceed the money you lost. Clearly this is some kind of scam, don't be a fool and you won't become a victim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Quinn Lysette said:

can i make or ask a person to sign a agreement to pay me back if i lend them 10500 Lindens

No you can''t make the person sign an agreement to pay you back, but you can ask them to.

That's the answer to your specific question. Everything else you need to know has already been said; i.e. there is nothing in and around SL that will make the debtor pay you back. There are RL laws, of course, but taking that course, would cost you a heck of a lot more than the amount you would be trying to recover, so it's not really an option.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that L$ is not money. The ToS states that. It's like Monopoly money which doesn't have any monetary value outside SL. So even the various countrys' laws won't be suitable.

I concur with everything that's been said - don't do it unless you are totally willing to lose it.

It may be that the other person is a good SL friend who you feel is very trustworthy, but how many good friendships have been scuppered on account of money. I'm reminded of the old expression that lending someone money gains an enemy, but borrowing money gains a friend. I.e. the person you lend money to avoids you while the debt exists because they don't have the money to pay it back yet, but the person you loan money to wants to see you all the time, at least until they've recovered the money.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Hello Quinn Lysette,

Please reconsider very strongly loaning money to anyone, especially in Second Life, and even more so if you do not personally know the user behind the account outside of Second Life.

Any such loan would be outside of the Linden Lab Terms of Service and if the other user did not pay you back, Linden Lab would be unable to assist you in any way with trying to recover the funds.

If you choose to loan the funds, you should most certainly get a written agreement by the real person behind the user account.  

In the event that the person does not pay you back, you will have real world options with regards to trying to recover the funds, namely Small Claims Court, if both of you are residing in the USA.

• Like 8

NO don't do it.  No matter how much you think you have this great "friendship" I promise you, you will regret it.  Never lend ANYONE money.  I have never seen or heard of anyone getting their money back successfully and having them sign something doesn't mean a thing in SL.  Bad, Bad BAD idea. So bad lol. Just BAD.

Walk away and if they give you the oh poor me bit, block them and move on. 

• Like 1

You've been given some good advise, the phrase "a fool and his money are soon parted" immediately sprang to mind. The only thing i'd add which i think is a good rule for paying something like a rent box or person you don't know well in SL is never pay more than you are willing to lose if things go wrong or the person welshes on the agreement and never pays you back. if you're not prepared to never see that $40-50 again don't pay them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.