Animesh Beta testing is HERE!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Its not because I have a crappy computer, its because the fan on my graphics card died and I've not gotten around to getting a new card.

Interesting - how exactly does "broken and unrepaired" not equal "crappy", and how will your experience have any meaning to people with unbroken computers?

Oh, and now I remember exactly when your computer broke - right after you said jellying avatars was stupid and useless...

Edited by Theresa Tennyson

18 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Oh joy, something else to cause lag. Just one more thing to derender in some of the lag black holes I go to.

That's your initial statement.

3 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Its not because I have a crappy computer, its because the fan on my graphics card died and I've not gotten around to getting a new card.

And that's the reason you come across "lag black holes".

Ii's just your problem and not a general problem. If you'd said something like, "something else to cause lag for me (until I get my fan fixed)", you wouldn't now be in this 'discussion'.

3 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Interesting - how exactly does "broken and unrepaired" not equal "crappy", and how will your experience have any meaning to people with unbroken computers?

Oh, and now I remember exactly when your computer broke - right after you said jellying avatars was stupid and useless...

I also said mesh was a passing phase and refused to get a mesh avatar until i got tired of my partner looking so much better than me.

My opinions might change, but not the fact that I'm right :)

18 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Oh, and now I remember exactly when your computer broke - right after you said jellying avatars was stupid and useless...

Seriously?

A broken part is a broken part is a broken part. A 'crappy' part is one whose proper running condition is truly not up to the tasks you're throwing at it. Apples and oranges.

What is your reason for the rather hostile tone?

Since the above post was edited while my response was being typed I'll just edit this response: Correlation does not equal causation.

Edited by Solar Legion

Just now, Solar Legion said:

Seriously?

A broken part is a broken part is a broken part. A 'crappy' part is one whose proper running condition is truly not up to the tasks you're throwing at it. Apples and oranges.

What is your reason for the rather hostile tone?

She was talking about her computer as a whole. As far as my tone, I generally try to match who I'm responding to.

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Animesh Project Viewer for Windows, Mac and Linux. Look before claiming there's no 'release'.

as i said.. a project... it's not released in the official viewer.. nor on the main grid.

Look before claiming it's a release.

5 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Thanks for quoting the subforum header; notice how this thread does not fall under any bit mentioned?

thats why i said you were right...

7 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

I was being quite nice in my response to you

me too!

7 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

and you fire back with needless sarcasm as usual.

oh.. also agree on that... you too!..

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

why this is posted in GD? there's a seperate forum section for animesh...

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/354-animesh/

I believe it's posted here as an announcement to the general forum population. Those who use the animesh subforum no doubt already knew. In other words, I believe it was posted here as a favour to the rest of us.

Just now, Theresa Tennyson said:

She was talking about her computer as a whole. As far as my tone, I generally try to match who I'm responding to.

She later clarified that a part needs a repair.

Take it from someone who knows, that method of response does not always work well and is best reserved for repeat offenders.

4 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Ii's just your problem and not a general problem. If you'd said something like, "something else to cause lag for me (until I get my fan fixed)", you wouldn't now be in this 'discussion'.

I guess  I need to stop replying before  I get another one of those warning.

*shrugs*

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

as i said.. a project... it's not released in the official viewer.. nor on the main grid.

Look before claiming it's a release.

It is downloadable, therefore there is a release that others can use. Being a part of the primary download simply means it is ready to be moved into the main line, ditto for the difference in the grids.

Now if you'd said it was in beta or undergoing public testing then perhaps you'd be correct. Simply calling it a project really does not mean all that much; After all, the sixty four bit client is still listed as a Project Viewer yet it is considered mainline enough to be included in TPV releases without those developers being berated by Linden Lab for it.

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

After all, the sixty four bit client is still listed as a Project Viewer yet it is considered mainline enough to be included in TPV releases without those developers being berated by Linden Lab for it.

oh yes... getting something totally irrelevant into the post will make your statement more true.... O.o

• Haha 1

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

oh yes... getting something totally irrelevant into the post will make your statement more true.... O.o

Why yes, pointing to a Project Viewer whose code is actually part of main line releases of any sort doesn't showcase what I stated concerning the difference between beta/public testing, usable releases and not having a release of any sort at all ... Nope!

Arguing just to argue? Fine. Do it with someone else Alwin, not in the mood.

19 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Oh joy, something else to cause lag. Just one more thing to derender in some of the lag black holes I go to.

Ok, well, allow me to explain a bit. 

Of course, just about any feature in SL can be used to create a bad SL experience. The real question is tho, can developer create a better, more efficient virtual item with this new feature? The answer to that is - OMFG YES!

As far as I understand things, It's really scripts that are the bottle neck for SL. When script are dedicating time to move or rotate objects, then the system has less time to run other scripts. The less and less things that require scripts to move them, the more script resources can be spent on other things.

I could really go on and on about how much better Animesh is compared to any other ways to make anything move. 

The best part about Animesh tho, is that it will make Second Life ALIVE

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

People get 50-60 fps with settings on ultra and all of the shadows checked as well.

I'm talking about me and the other plebes that have less than top of the line gaming computers.

Its just more crap to derender to get a decent frame rate.

He also says his computer isn't a particularly good one, though he doesn't say what it is.

On the face of it, I don't see why it would be significantly more burdensome for your computer's GPU and CPU to render animated mesh objects than it is for them to render animated avatars.     Do you consider people's AOs as a particular cause of lag?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Medhue Simoni said:

Ok, well, allow me to explain a bit. 

Of course, just about any feature in SL can be used to create a bad SL experience. The real question is tho, can developer create a better, more efficient virtual item with this new feature? The answer to that is - OMFG YES!

As far as I understand things, It's really scripts that are the bottle neck for SL. When script are dedicating time to move or rotate objects, then the system has less time to run other scripts. The less and less things that require scripts to move them, the more script resources can be spent on other things.

I could really go on and on about how much better Animesh is compared to any other ways to make anything move. 

The best part about Animesh tho, is that it will make Second Life ALIVE

Nope, you don't really understand about scripts and lag.   All scripts can do is lag other scripts.   That's because the simulator devotes a limited amount of time each cycle to handling scripts.  This isn't generally an issue for anyone but scripters.    You are, however, completely correct in suggesting that animesh is a far more simulator-friendly (that is, less laggy) way of animating objects than are any of the methods we've had to use up till now.  .   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Nope, you don't really understand about scripts and lag.   All scripts can do is lag other scripts.

I didn't specifically talk about lag. That said, if a script never runs, cause there was no time to run it, or you never see the results of it running, that is not a positive result leading to a good experience. If so many things are running that a simple click results in a delayed reaction, most would consider that lag.

Even the alpha swapping way of simulating motion is very script intense. The script is creating each "keyframe" by having to switch between alphas on meshes. So, every "Keyframe" is handled by the script. With using animation, the script calls the play function to play 1 whole animation, not 1 keyframe. And... the animation, for the most part, is an extremely small amount of data that is being passed around. Even really smooth motion capture animations can be very small files, with hundreds of keyframes.

Again tho, I'm not a coder.

Edited by Medhue Simoni

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

Regardless of if i replace my graphics card or not,  I derender any superfluous moving object where ever i go.  Animesh dancing elephants and flying snakes will defo fall into that category.

15 minutes ago, Medhue Simoni said:

Even with the alpha swapping way of simulating motion is very script intense.

The main problem with alpha swapping, which, as you suggest, involves running a fast timer, is that every time the timer runs (so maybe 10 or more times a second) the simulator has to send a message to the viewer of everyone who can see the object, telling it to have its CPU to make particular faces visible or invisible.   

An animation, in contrast, be it for an avatar or a mesh object, means the simulator just sends one command to anyone who can see the mesh object or avatar, telling it to keep on drawing the object's or avatar's skeleton moving in a particular way.  So it's far, far less work for the simulator, and far less work for the CPUs of the people who can see the object (since the CPU has only the one command to process -- "keep on drawing the following sequence of movements until further notice" --  rather than multiple commands, "make the following faces visible and the following faces invisible", several times a second).

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nova Convair said:

If you want to have SL frozen on a level 10 years ago because you can't or don't want to get a decent computer and connection that is understandable but this will not happen. Nobody can help you here.

Some of us can't buy a decent connection.  Not because we can't afford it, and not because we don't want to, but because our miserable governments, and the miserable expletive deleted ISPs don't make it available.   In my village there is only one expletive deleted ISP,  there is no cable, and the junction box is a mile away.

You can only buy what is on offer.  It really REALLY pisses me off when people say 'buy this', when it isn't for sale!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Regardless of if i replace my graphics card or not,  I derender any superfluous moving object where ever i go.  Animesh dancing elephants and flying snakes will defo fall into that category.

Why are you posting here? You will not see it anyways. And no reason to read your posts since you write about stuff you'll never get to know. Too funny.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, anna2358 said:

Some of us can't buy a decent connection.  Not because we can't afford it, and not because we don't want to, but because our miserable governments, and the miserable expletive deleted ISPs don't make it available.   In my village there is only one expletive deleted ISP,  there is no cable, and the junction box is a mile away.

You can only buy what is on offer.  It really REALLY pisses me off when people say 'buy this', when it isn't for sale!

And whining here makes what exact progress for your situation?

Wrong topic btw. since this animated mesh will reduce the transmission and is therefore a progress for your situation.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.