Problem with resizing linked objects

risa5572

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently, when I try to resize linked objects, only one object is resized and others stay unchanged. For example, when I try to enlarge a skybox just out of the box, only the wall is enlarged, and the floor and the roof stay unchanged.

I remember I could do it some time ago, so this problem is because of my wrong settings or overlooking something. Can anyone guess what is wrong?

Thank you for your help. 

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/building-tips-r13/#Section__1
In this knowledge base, all coalesced objects are outlined by yellow lines. But when I edit the skybox, some parts are outlined by cyan lines, and other parts by yellow ones. Can this skybox still be coalesced objects?

If so, how can I link them up so that I can enlarge the entire parts? Once I start editing, "Link" command in Build menu is grayed out, and "Unlink" command is selectable. If I shift-click any part of the skybox, the whole parts get unselected.

Edited by risa5572
typo

A coalesced object very commonly consists of several associated linksets.  So, for example, a builder might link all of the roof parts together as one linkset, the second floor as a second linkset, and the first floor as a third linkset, and then package them together as a coalesced object.  One reason for doing that is to create modular building elements that might be combined in different ways to produce more than one model of the same basic building.  Another good reason would be to avoid running into limits on the physical dimensions of a linkset.  In any case, it's quite common to have a coalesced object that's made of two or three linksets.

So, can you link them together yourself?  Maybe, but be sure that you have a backup just in case. Especially if you have scripted components (doors, windows, appliances, lights, ...), they may not play well together if you mess with things that they are linked to.  You may also have trouble later if you decide to unlink them.  So ... go ahead a try linking them but don't be surprised if it doesn't work.  Be prepared to resize individual components slowly and manually otherwise.

3 hours ago, risa5572 said:

Thank you for your help. 

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/building-tips-r13/#Section__1
In this knowledge base, all coalesced objects are outlined by yellow lines. But when I edit the skybox, some parts are outlined by cyan lines, and other parts by yellow ones. Can this skybox still be coalesced objects?

If it's a single linkset and not several coalesced objects, one and only one part will be outlined in yellow. That will be the root of the object. the other parts are outlined in cyan.

3 hours ago, risa5572 said:

Once I start editing, "Link" command in Build menu is grayed out, and "Unlink" command is selectable. If I shift-click any part of the skybox, the whole parts get unselected.

That means your whole skybox is already linked and you have it all selected so neither of Rolig's explanations are correct. And that leaves us with no obvious answer. I thought for a while you could have hit some size limit, either the max object size or the max distance between parts of a linkset but if so, you shouldn't have been able to resize at all. That is if you are trying to resize manually. A resizer script might attempt to resize beyond the limit and end up only affecting some parts of the linkset but you didn't use one of those, did you?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.