What's your favorite season IRL

JingleWorm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/19/2017 at 7:22 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

In my childhood, I used to go spelunking in the ice caverns that built up on the Lake Michigan Shore during winter, and I'd hike up and down the beach, climbing the bluffs into people's back yards, then trekking home on the road. We don't have enough beach for that now, but I still take my kayak out in the water on calm winter days. Several years ago we had a very dense fog on New Year's Day and I paddled out from shore until everything vanished. Many days I just walk down to the water's edge, sit on a rock and wonder.

Which ones are the ones between Mich and Wisconsin? (Ice caves) 

Being in Michigan (like most of the Mid West) there are such distinct differences in the 4 seasons, and I love something about all of them! I think my favorite would have to be Autumn, though. I love the crispness in the air, the cider mills with their smell of fresh cinnamon doughnuts and hot cider, haunted hayrides, the burst of bright colors of the changing leaves. I love to wear turtle necks and a warm, comfy sweater, the smell of burning leaves, and fires burning in neighborhood fireplaces. (sigh) 9_9

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

Which ones are the ones between Mich and Wisconsin? (Ice caves) 

Are you thinking of the Apostle Island ice caves?

https://www.lakesuperior.com/travel/wisconsin/ice-caves-of-apostle-islands-national-lakeshore/

The shoreline topography of that area provides plenty of opportunity for ice caves to form if the winter weather cooperates. It's been ages since I've visited the area. Down here, on Lake Michigan's shore, the ice is more miss than hit. But, there were years in my youth when I could nestle in little cubbies along the beach, and hone my plans for world domination (which consisted mostly of imagining everyone had vanished).

• Thanks 1

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

Are you thinking of the Apostle Island ice caves?

https://www.lakesuperior.com/travel/wisconsin/ice-caves-of-apostle-islands-national-lakeshore/

The shoreline topography of that area provides plenty of opportunity for ice caves to form if the winter weather cooperates. It's been ages since I've visited the area. Down here, on Lake Michigan's shore, the ice is more miss than hit. But, there were years in my youth when I could nestle in little cubbies along the beach, and hone my plans for world domination (which consisted mostly of imagining everyone had vanished).

Yes, I believe that's it!! 

27 minutes ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

Being in Michigan (like most of the Mid West) there are such distinct differences in the 4 seasons, and I love something about all of them! I think my favorite would have to be Autumn, though. I love the crispness in the air, the cider mills with their smell of fresh cinnamon doughnuts and hot cider, haunted hayrides, the burst of bright colors of the changing leaves. I love to wear turtle necks and a warm, comfy sweater, the smell of burning leaves, and fires burning in neighborhood fireplaces. (sigh) 9_9

I love all those things too, but winter brings bed races on Cedar Creek and sledding on Mule Hill. Spring brings maple sugaring (with mules!) and summer brings tall ships into Port Washington.

I will agree that sweater weather is the cat's pajamas, though.

ETA: I had my chimney repaired this spring and had gas start installed in both fireplaces. As my woods mature, they're producing firewood faster than I can consume it. Hopefully this'll help.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I will agree that sweater weather is the cat's pajamas, though.

I'm so glad to see you using that expression. I've decided that there are words and phrases that need to come back to use, that being one. I've also decided that "hussy" and "the bees knees" are not used nearly enough these days, so I've made it my mission to bring them back. I would appreciate any assistance in this endeavor that you can provide:P

17 minutes ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

I'm so glad to see you using that expression. I've decided that there are words and phrases that need to come back to use, that being one. I've also decided that "hussy" and "the bees knees" are not used nearly enough these days, so I've made it my mission to bring them back. I would appreciate any assistance in this endeavor that you can provide:P

Someone once mentioned hussies here in the forum and I changed my avatar to a Huskie for my reply. I think Marigold caught the joke. Years ago I made a "Cat's Pajamas" poster and a "Bee's Knees" fridge magnet. I've sent them to you...

59ed238b0915d_CatsPajamas.jpg.77a430bd95a6884ed71e5e64dd4ab9ee.jpg

bees-knees.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Someone once mentioned hussies here in the forum and I changed my avatar to a Huskie for my reply. I think Marigold caught the joke. Years ago I made a "Cat's Pajamas" poster and a "Bee's Knees" fridge magnet. I've sent them to you...

59ed238b0915d_CatsPajamas.jpg.77a430bd95a6884ed71e5e64dd4ab9ee.jpg

bees-knees.jpg

HAHAHA! Love them!! Thanks!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.