Question about Relevance Ranking

txwalrus Petrovic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When ever I go to the MP I like to see what is new - so I search without putting anything in the search box - the default sort is Relevance Ranking - try it and see what you get? The same vendor is always at the top with multiple listings. I would pay good money to get that kind of product placement!! Some things make a lot of sense - several popular things for L$1 and of course, Omega appliers. I can understand that - but a simple dress for L$240 that is at the top of the relevance rankings? There is another merchant with high relevance rankings and strangely enough uses the exact same keywords. Can someone please explain why these items are so relevant to a blank string search?

• Like 1

Thanks Whirly - it seems the definition of keyword spamming is a bit loose - here's what I see for a top, so I guess you are right (all the items use the same keywords) 

<meta name="keywords" content="dress,mesh dress,black,fit,fitted,fitmesh,top,HUD,skirt, shirt,maitreya,tmp,belleza,slink,pink,red,bottom,body,sexy,original,women,clothes,item,hourglass,freya,isis,blueberry,white,blue,latex,leather"/>

It's just terrible. Not sure if we think about the same merchant, but there is one person who sells all kinds of clothes/shoes/hats etc. with multi-color hud. No matter what she sells she tags it the same, if it's a dress it also has tags for shoes, top, lingerie, skirt etc etc., when a skirt tags for top, lingerie, dress, shoes etc etc. Reporting this makes no sense because she puts it back on with the same tags for everything. Her items spam like this all the first few pages of everything(sic!), impossible to find anything. When I once wrote her and kindly asked her to sort out her tags because it makes a mess, the only answer I received was "I don't like being told what to do" and that was it. It's just.. no words.

Edited by Pavon2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Pavon2 said:

It's just terrible. Not sure if we think about the same merchant, but there is one person who sells all kinds of clothes/shoes/hats etc. with multi-color hud. No matter what she sells she tags it the same, if it's a dress it also has tags for shoes, top, lingerie, skirt etc etc., when a skirt tags for top, lingerie, dress, shoes etc etc. Reporting this makes no sense because she puts it back on with the same tags for everything. Her items spam like this all the first few pages of everything(sic!), impossible to find anything. When I once wrote her and kindly asked her to sort out her tags because it makes a mess, the only answer I received was "I don't like being told what to do" and that was it. It's just.. no words.

Hello Pavon!

I am so sorry to hear that the user responded to your communication negatively.

The type of spamming you describe is definitely against the Marketplace Listing Guidelines.

If you see their items, please consider reporting a few of them so that Linden Lab can address the issue with the seller directly.

• Like 2

But I did Dakota, and my friends also did :(  It just stays the same. I will report few of them again, but.. :( And during last days, I don't know what happened but something has changed on markatplace and it's even worse. During the past months there was some diversity at least, there were many different designers on the first few pages when one searches for, for example "maitreya mesh top" or whatever of that kind, now it's just that one person... 

Edited by Pavon2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Wow that really IS bad ^^.   I thought the point of the new search rating matrix was to penalize folks that tagged their items with inappropriate keywords, the idea being that people looking for a Maitreya Top would not by Belleza shorts (etc.) and the higher percentage of lookers that buy, the better your product rates in the listings.   It doesn't seem to be working too well.  

There could also be people being paid to buy products and hence the listings -- even if tagged incorrectly -- get higher in the ratings because of "product sales".  Hard to say what is going on and why things are so lopsided. I had never even heard of that creator. It's not like they are someone VERY well-known that you would expect to be at the top of the listings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Wow that really IS bad ^^.   I thought the point of the new search rating matrix was to penalize folks that tagged their items with inappropriate keywords, the idea being that people looking for a Maitreya Top would not by Belleza shorts (etc.) and the higher percentage of lookers that buy, the better your product rates in the listings.   It doesn't seem to be working too well.  

That’s what I thought, too. Evidently those of us who do not keyword spam are still being penalized for following the rules. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Great question. And to clarify the way items are ranked are based on sales of the specific item compared against everything else on marketplace. The items that get the most sales are ranked higher. You can effect these ratings by paying to get your listings shown on landing pages to get higher visibility.

• Moderators
On 10/24/2017 at 5:40 AM, Galilla Sinatra said:

I will no longer pay for product promotions on MP because not one time did I ever see my product in said promotion.  I saw the same designers over and over, but never my own.   

Hello Galilla Sinatra,

How effective a Product Listing Enhancement is depends on a few things. 

1. What landing page did you choose?

2. How many other products are also using the same landing page?

3. Is your product a popular or niche` type product?

Items placed on the Marketplace Home page are going to compete against the thousands, or hundreds of thousands of items also with Home page enhancements. 

If you are trying to sell a niche` item, it may be far more effective to place the item on a sub-category landing page as opposed to a top level landing page.  If you are selling a game, it may be more effective to use the Games category landing page, instead of the main Recreation and Entertainment landing page.  This way your listing is shown specifically to people looking in the Games sub-category.

Consider cross marketing.  If you sell Military Uniforms, you might look at the Military Vehicles category to see if you might want to use that category landing page for your Uniforms to see if those looking for Military Vehicles might also be looking for Uniforms for their Avatars as well.

• Thanks 1

I tried both Dakota, several times, and never saw them despite refreshing and logging in/out, many times.  Plus, using your example of cross-referencing is exactly what we're talking about.  In my mind, that also is false advertising and spamming.  If I am searching for a military vehicle, I don't expect to see a bunch of military uniforms.   I'd search military uniform if I was looking for one of those!

A few years ago, one of my listings was removed by LL saying it was wrongly categorized for something similar to what you describe.  It was a genuine accident on my part because I was lazy I guess and didn't drill down the categories enough when posting several at once.  Only one was removed and I correctly relisted.  And ever since this is something I am really careful about not repeating.  It seems others are very blatant and get away with it.  

I believe the standards have gotten so lax in the last few years and I truly hope LL realizes that there are still thousands of us who are in Second Life and who will choose to stay there.  I tried Sansar and have no intentions of moving my business there.  How about not abandoning us!

• Moderators

Hello Galilla Sinatra,

The military uniforms themselves should not be in the Military Vehicles category, but if you have a Product Listing Enhancement on a listing for a Military Uniform, the Category Landing page for the Product Listing Enhancement on the uniform can be the Military Vehicles category.

If the actual listing for the item was in an incorrect category, then yes, the listing would be subject to being actioned for being in a wrong category on the Marketplace. 

Second Life isn't going anywhere, and isn't being replaced by Sansar. 

The standards on the Second Life Marketplace haven't gotten lax.  What has happened, though, is that there are now more than 5.5 million active listings on the Marketplace, whereas back during the SLExchange/Xstreet SL days, there were barely 400,000 active listings.

This is why it is very important for users to report listings to Linden Lab by using the Flag option if you notice an issue with the listing. 

Edited by Dakota Linden
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.