Cannot Purchase L$

Alyxiana Helendale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Dear community,

I've been having issues with purchasing Lindens - I've been gone from SL for a good amount of time and would like to update my avatar. Unfortunately I cannot do so because every time I try to add my card's details to buy more lindens, I get this:

We were unable to add your payment method.

Please go back to the cashier and try again.

Please contact Second Life Support if you see this error more than once.

And if I try to use paypal instead to pay for Lindens, I get the following:

To use your PayPal account with Second Life, it must be verified with a bank account. Click here for more information.

There was a problem with your PayPal account. Please contact PayPal to resolve the issue, then try again.

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong forum, but I'm a bit desperate.

Any ideas how to address this issue?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Alyxiana Helendale
removing URL from quote.

6 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, Alyxiana Helendale said:

Dear community,

I've been having issues with purchasing Lindens - I've been gone from SL for a good amount of time and would like to update my avatar. Unfortunately I cannot do so because every time I try to add my card's details to buy more lindens, I get this:

And if I try to use paypal instead to pay for Lindens, I get the following:

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong forum, but I'm a bit desperate.

Any ideas how to address this issue?

Thank you in advance!

Your paypal needs to be verified .  This changed a while back depending on how long you have been gone  but you should be able to get more information here:

40 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Because debit cards and prepaid cards of any kind are not acceptable.  Use an approved credit card or a verified PayPal or Skrill account.

Which is interesting because before I used my debit card with money on it and I had absolutely no issue buying L$. And now I cannot. 

I have no interest in getting a credit card and spending money I don't have on digital goods, I'd rather spend the money I put on my debit card, if that makes any sense. And I'd rather not connect my bank account to my paypal for numerous reasons and security reasons.

If you do a quick search in this forum, you will find that we have addressed this concern many times.  Linden Lab changed its credit processor over a year ago.  Since then, it has not been possible to add a new debit card or any kind of prepaid card as a payment method.  Those were discouraged in the past, but since the change have been disallowed. If you had a card that worked before, it was still valid until it expired or had to be replaced for some other reason. No more.  I have no idea what security reasons you may have in mind, but once your PayPal account is verified by linking it to a bank account, you are free to add money to it from any source you wish -- including your debit card.  Verification is PayPal's way of guaranteeing that they have a way to get their money if you start running up unpayable debts. Linden Lab, in turn, expects you to have verified your PayPal account as a way of guaranteeing that they are dealing with a reliable customer.  These days, with the Feds and state authorities looking carefully at Internet commerce to prevent money laundering and other forms of fraud, businesses have to be more certain about who they are dealing with.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Alyxiana Helendale said:

have no interest in getting a credit card and spending money I don't have on digital goods, I'd rather spend the money I put on my debit card, if that makes any sense. And I'd rather not connect my bank account to my paypal for numerous reasons and security reasons.

Then you will have to find another way to get Lindens

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.