StarkLynn

Threatening my RL

OH What a MESS....!! 

I'm so sorry for the hurt I caused. I cheated by making a few Alts. Problem is after he found out and  I admitted it my personal life is now threatened, do I go to Linden Labs with this, I am married in RL and have a real lot to lose.. ( yes I understand loss of sympathy here but I was also just looking for some distraction) My SL partner is so mad and has the money and time to trace me and destroy my life for real..  He wrote me a mail stating that he would not rest before he hunt me down and hurt me the way I hurt him. I'm really afraid that having our accounts frozen will only result in more fury from him. Please help me.. I asked his forgiveness so many times...  I know I was wrong to treat this as a game.... even though I proclaimed and loved my SL partner as a lover and friend for real.

Big Sighs

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Linden Lab (no s) will not do anything for resident to resident disputes.  If he wrote a physical letter threatening you, your best option is to take that to the police.

• Like 9

I know hindsight is 20/20, so you probably know you should never have let him have enough info to find you. I certain do not have any objection to the game you played, I have played it myself, but if you do that, stay safe, like you say, you have to much to lose. It is also a good idea to only play that game with someone else who is playing it to.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, StarkLynn said:

My SL partner is so mad and has the money and time to trace me and destroy my life for real..  He wrote me a mail stating that he would not rest before he hunt me down and hurt me the way I hurt him. I'm really afraid that having our accounts frozen will only result in more fury from him.

Tracing - In theory, it would be fairly simplistic to be able to uncover another SL user's IP  address using a viewer like Firestorm and its devtools.  Proxies, tunneling & packeting aside, this would generally require a user to view another's information or messages alongside the respective underlying code for each.  It sounds simple, but the amount of time and knowledge it actually takes to get an valid & reliably accurate IP address is beyond that of the general public.  In addition, simply being able to trace an IP address is highly insignificant.  Internet service providers (ISPs) protect the personal information of their consumers. 

• TLDR; Unless this guy is Julian Assange or the NSA, I find it highly unlikely that he is truly able to "dox" (or expose) your true identity.  

It is more than likely that he is trying to add false credibility to his threat by adding that he is capable of "finding" you.  This is a threat commonly used by toxic gamers in games like League of Legends or DOTA 2 (i.e. You made me mad, so I will hack, trace, DDoS you, etc.). It's just big talk for a small person - all bark and no bite.

All that aside, the real issue is that this person is threatening your real life & states his malicious intent.  You could should report this to Linden support, and you can always contact the police if you feel that this warrants notifying a legal authority.  For your own safety, it is a good general rule of thumb to change your login passwords for your accounts, if not simply deactivate them and start fresh.  I like to run a VPN or at least proxy on my devices for an extra layer of security and privacy.  

Be safe, and good luck! 

59e62a437e353_Therethereking.gif.d994b5ca48eec28b41f5098ce787d35b.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Linden Lab (no s) will not do anything for resident to resident disputes.  If he wrote a physical letter threatening you, your best option is to take that to the police.

I think it doesn't need to be a physical letter these days, more and more police forces and legal systems are taking online threats seriously.

• Like 1

I feel really bad .. have been crying for days for deceiving him and treating this as a game... but also my RL and innocent people should not suffer because of my infidelity and my need to explore.. thank you so much for giving me a bit of rest and piece of mind..  Sighs.. I can only hope that this will be a warning to all out there to not play with peoples feelings as I did....

Did you give him any _real_ informations that could lead him to the "real" you or are you just afraid, because you believe his claim that he can track you down?

• Like 1

His threats could be just empty promises, but they might not be. I'd also like to point out that a trace is not just specific to IP. Trace also refers to discovery through investigation. He could have simply been referring to finding out who you are based on information given to him. Only you know what private information was shared that could give him a clue.

Hello StarkLynn,

I'm sorry to hear about this issue that you're having in-world. 

If you are being threatened and harassed within Second Life, we encourage you to please block the Resident and file an Abuse Report. You can find more information on how to file Abuse Reports here:

As mentioned before in this thread, if you fear this may have an impact on your real life, such as threats of personal harm or putting your actual safety at risk, we encourage you to also notify your local authorities so that they can assist you in taking the appropriate steps to ensure your real life safety. If the issue spills on over to other platforms or social media (Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, etc), we encourage you to reach out to their respective support/abuse teams to report the issue on their service.

For more tips on how to deal with harassment, please visit  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-deal-with-abuse-and-harassment/ta-p/1339983

• Like 6