Avatar Height Restrictions on Adult Sims.

ScottXRoxxs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello, fellow users of SecondLife. 

I have a question since there has been a lot of speculation going around SecondLife, and I am not sure if some of you are familiar with it. Why have I been told that we have to be a certain height to enter adult sims, this being 5'7''+? Will it be implemented in the upcoming Terms of Service? Would I have to send in a ticket to SecondLife to ask them? 

Would love to hear from everyone soon! Thank you! 

skirtsdown and Candice have good points.  It's very upsetting to be told the avatar you worked so hard on to make "anatomically correct" in proportion and appearance and profile "doesn't meet our (judgmental) requirements.  Why, I've even been kicked out of Frank's Place because my skirt was shorter than the hostess felt was proper.

But ladies, that isn't going to change.  The Golden Rule in SL has, and always will be, "He Who Owns The Land, Makes The Rules."  A landowner can be as arbitrary and capricious as she wants, and you have no say in the matter.  Sorry, that's the way it is.  Either meet their requirements, or go elsewhere.  There are more than 20,000 "elsewheres" to visit in SL, so it really shouldn't be that much of a problem.  Or buy your own land, put up your own club, and make your own arbitrary and capricious rules about who you'll allow in!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

I'm 5'0 in both SL and RL. Problem starts when others make themselves some abnormally high height.

In RL, if I stood next to an average height man then yes, I would look short, but not like a child.
In SL, if I stood next to one of the ridiculously average height men then yes,  I probably look like a child.

Whose fault is that?

Anyway, I like tall men. Even though the top of my head is below the tops of their shoulders.

Why dont kiddie avatars that are designed to be children have a hidden flag that SL can detect and automatically disallow them entry into adult areas. The shortest I can possibly make my Maitreya body is around 4'6".

5'7" is a stupid height to use as a limit for ejection. Anywhere that does that can poke their precious venue up my pixelled backside.

Shorties have a tough time in SL :D

Speaking as a male who is 6'3" in both worlds, i completely understand this issue. I have been told that i was a child av while wearing the niramyth human body.. Simply because the women towered over me. On my land, if you say you are an adult and do not have child related picks, i take that as face value. People are far too uptight on this issue. Height should never be the sole identifier of age in SL. The Glamazons and pro basketballlers need to realize THEY are the ones with the issue. 

ETA.... I realize i said i was 6'5" back in October.. i can only blame lack of sleep and or coffee on that.. 

Edited by Drake1 Nightfire
  • Like 3

@skirtsdown You are trying to establish an objective standard where humans use a subjective standard. It won't happen.

Since you are complaining of various people thinking your avatar looks too young to be in their region, it looks too young to be in their region. (Notice the period.) The people owning or in charge of a region provide the final verdict on such issues. I might agree that you look 18-25. But, I don't run the region. They have the final word.

You can't force your thinking on the region owners-managers. That is a fascist tactic, if you don't know. Looking to an authority to do it for you is sort of an entitlement generation tactic. You also assume the Lindens will see you as you see yourself. They may or may not. But if they don't, you'll have even more problems.Be thankful they will likely decline to participate in any decision about your being too young or old enough.

Freedom is rife with injustice and unfair things. But you are also free to go elsewhere and look however you want. But, if a majority of people think you look to young... it suggests you are out of touch with the larger shared reality in that part of your thinking.

On 10/16/2017 at 9:33 PM, ScottXRoxxs said:

No, that is not the criteria I am asking here, some people have been going ahead and saying that people who are not child avi's have to be that certain height, but until the Terms of Service "is" updated with this effective on it, I will keep my height as it is until then. Thank you for answering my question!

Some people use crack. Some people use meth. I don't intend to listen to the advice of either crowd.

On 3/23/2018 at 3:17 AM, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Speaking as a male who is 6'3" in both worlds, i completely understand this issue. I have been told that i was a child av while wearing the niramyth human body.. Simply because the women towered over me. On my land, if you say you are an adult and do not have child related picks, i take that as face value.

On my land I have resized all the buildings to RL scale so those giant avatars can't fit through the door to come in and yell at me for being 'too-scale sized' anyway... :P
(often they actually can get in... I don't try to block anyone out... I usually have easy close furniture for the rare person who actually IS that big... but most people can fit through a 2.3m tall door... it's just funny to 'imagine' one of them bumping at the entrance).

Now... I spend 90% + of my time nude and on A or M land (actually if I add in the M land, maybe more than 90% of the time... how does 97.327% sound... or roughly around there)...

- It's been a few years since I've gotten the "you are too short" routine tossed at me.

Of course the longer we're in SL the more we learn how to spot potential places that would be drama for us BEFORE we visit them... so maybe I'm just managing to screen them out.

But it also seems to me that today's SL has plenty of "too-scale sized" and plenty of "giant sized" avatars and most people have stopped caring about it either way. Which is a good result if true beyond just my observations.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 10:12 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

@skirtsdown You are trying to establish an objective standard where humans use a subjective standard. It won't happen.

Which is sad, because there are consequences based on that "subjective standard." If there weren't, I really wouldn't care.

Since you are complaining of various people thinking your avatar looks too young to be in their region, it looks too young to be in their region. (Notice the period.) The people owning or in charge of a region provide the final verdict on such issues. I might agree that you look 18-25. But, I don't run the region. They have the final word.

There is no doubt they have the final word, I never suggested they did not. Having that final word, however, does not mean they are right.

You can't force your thinking on the region owners-managers. That is a fascist tactic, if you don't know. Looking to an authority to do it for you is sort of an entitlement generation tactic. You also assume the Lindens will see you as you see yourself. They may or may not. But if they don't, you'll have even more problems.Be thankful they will likely decline to participate in any decision about your being too young or old enough.

I never made the assertion that anyone should be forced to do anything. Also, fascism is a form of radical nationalist authoritarianism and has absolutely nothing to do with my observations on the nature of perception in a virtual environment. Nor did I suggest an authority (Linden Labs) should force anyone to do anything. Note that to date, if a sim owner has asked me to change my avatar or leave, I have always opted to leave without causing any further problems for them. I am fully aware that managing a sim is extremely difficult and have no desire to complicate it further.

Freedom is rife with injustice and unfair things. But you are also free to go elsewhere and look however you want. But, if a majority of people think you look to young... it suggests you are out of touch with the larger shared reality in that part of your thinking.

You are absolutely right that the world is not fair. I am fortunate to have the freedom to go or look elsewhere if I choose, and I also have the freedom to attempt to change peoples minds. If being in touch with the larger shared reality means tiny hands, arms that are too short, and grotesquely oversized hips and breasts, then I'm not only happy to be out of touch with the majority, I will continue to advocate for anatomical correctness by example. The consequences of such a stance may mean that I shall never be welcome on any adult sim, and I am prepared to accept that.

6 hours ago, skirtsdown said:

There is no doubt they have the final word, I never suggested they did not. Having that final word, however, does not mean they are right.

No, it doesn't. But it's impossible to change those rusted on perceptions. There comes a point when you just have to give up, for the sake of your sanity.

Looking at your profile I would clearly judge you as an adult. No kid groups is a clear indicator for me.

One gentle suggestion, if I please may, the kinks pick where you mention you are willing to play a schoolgirl... in my mind that sort of destroys your entire argument. A statement in your profile, then 2 whole picks saying you are an adult, then one clearly asking people to "play" with you as a schoolgirl - and in that particular mesh body.

Doesn't matter if you actually mean an 18 year old schoolgirl, it's fuel for the fire of their rusted-on prejudice.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

No, it doesn't. But it's impossible to change those rusted on perceptions. There comes a point when you just have to give up, for the sake of your sanity.

Looking at your profile I would clearly judge you as an adult. No kid groups is a clear indicator for me.

One gentle suggestion, if I please may, the kinks pick where you mention you are willing to play a schoolgirl... in my mind that sort of destroys your entire argument. A statement in your profile, then 2 whole picks saying you are an adult, then one clearly asking people to "play" with you as a schoolgirl - and in that particular mesh body.

Doesn't matter if you actually mean an 18 year old schoolgirl, it's fuel for the fire of their rusted-on prejudice.

That's completely fair, and a good enough suggestion I've made changes accordingly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

"The Street protocol states that your avatar can't be any taller than you are. This is to prevent people from walking around a mile high." - Neil Stephenson, Snow Crash, the novel after which Second Life is modeled.

"Your world, Your imagination." Phil Rosedale. The creator of Second Life. 

If you want to be RL height, do so. If you want to be a glamazon, do so. Stop bitching about it. I dont whine and complain when i am shorter than most people in clubs. I find those that are more realistically sized and chat with them. 

My philosophy has always been.. You do you. 

1 hour ago, animats said:

"The Street protocol states that your avatar can't be any taller than you are. This is to prevent people from walking around a mile high." - Neil Stephenson, Snow Crash

Which would make me look very silly when I am a dragon. Has anyone ever seen a sub 6 foot tall dragon?

Nope, He enjoys being HUGE, 5 metres tall or bigger, then swooping down on unsuspecting Glamazons to carry them away to feed the wyrmlings. (there's usually a lot of meat on those hips)

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Haha 2

On 3/25/2018 at 10:41 AM, skirtsdown said:

I never made the assertion that anyone should be forced to do anything. Also, fascism is a form of radical nationalist authoritarianism and has absolutely nothing to do with my observations on the nature of perception in a virtual environment. Nor did I suggest an authority (Linden Labs) should force anyone to do anything. Note that to date, if a sim owner has asked me to change my avatar or leave, I have always opted to leave without causing any further problems for them. I am fully aware that managing a sim is extremely difficult and have no desire to complicate it further.

I see people make this statement that only governments are fascist. The point missed is while fascism is used to describe a type of government, governments are people. The word is also frequently used to describe people and behavior. 

I did infer from your writing that you were looking for Linden approval or endorsement that your avatar was an appropriate age to be somewhere. In asking myself what would one do with such authoritarian backing... it seems obvious. So, if you weren't trying to find a way in, sorry.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.