Jump to content

Your Biggest SL Disappointment


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I don't like that so much of the makeup and special facial effects are only done as mesh head appliers now.  A few stores still do makeup for the system skin, but they are becoming less common and you can just about forget finding much these days in the way of special effects for a system face.  I don't know if regular system tattoo layer is that much harder than mesh applier layers or if the creators just don't want to create both.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Display names (and removal of last names) is my number one biggest dissappointment and how people abuse them with some crazy unreadable characters. The naming system was totally broken when new accou

My biggest disappointment in SL is the level of homophobic abuse that is levelled at me on a semi-regular basis, for no reason other than I exist and have a male partner listed in my profile, either w

The loss of last names. Display names are a sop. I've learned to live with them, but real names will always remain several orders of magnitude cooler.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, cykarushb said:

Care to elaborate on this? Presumably with a proper mesh body you could wear just about anything short of layer clothing, which i think you can still wear somehow but i never bothered to learn how appliers work.

Why certainly,
your comment; “Presumably with a proper mesh body you could wear just about anything short of layer clothing” could not be further from the truth.  And if that were the case there would be no need for a dozen different sizes for one skirt in a package, or even the need to make sure the ad lists your body as having the item rigged for it.  And fit mesh is rigged for the LL avatar and not any of the mesh avatars so fit mesh things like skirts and pants just don’t fit, unless like I have said before, you stand perfectly still, and that is not going to happen.  And you ask, and what is the problem, the problem is the hips, as I walk or move my body moves, and the mesh body and the LL body under it do not move exactly the same.  So as I, you, move, the waist does not fit, and no the alpha cuts do not work all that well for most clothing, unless the clothing is made for and rigged to your mesh avatar body, and now your back to a dozen copies of one item in a package with each one made and rigged for a particular body.  And not necessarily your body.

And as far as having a proper mesh body, I used mesh body addicts to research before I purchased my mesh body, it got good reviews from them.  But like “every” mesh body, you can find someone saying don’t buy it for what ever reason.  I bought the one I thought looked the best and has options that I found mandatory, like Omega completable and I can wear my shoes with it without spending a lot of money of even more items just to be able to use the body.

And layers, that one was a bit of a surprise, and I don’t know if all appliers work the same but I did not expect to have my panties show through my skirt when they are “applied” to the tattoo layer under a mesh dress.  But most likely there are things I don’t know yet.  And to be sure, I do not have a problem using alpha cuts, in fact I get a good laugh as I watch others dance with body parts poking through their clothing when a simple alpha would stop it from happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

If we turned it around and asked Linden Lab what their biggest disappointment with Second life is , they would probably say how sex permeates their creation.

I'm sure the management cringes every time they see a headline "Second Life is a haven for Sexual Degenerates"

I cringe whenever someone says to me, "Oh, Second Life. Isn't that like a game for sex addicts or something?" Ugh.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest disappointment with SL from a technical standpoint would be region crossings.  I know it's an insanely complex problem, and honestly SL handles them as well as it can when you consider what's involved, but I can't help wishing they were better.  They make travel through the open world difficult, if not dangerous (in terms of disconnects, detaching vehicles, etc).

My biggest disappointment overall, though, would be that I've lost touch with some really good people over the years, and I wish I'd taken the time back then to get some sort of RL contact info from them.  I miss them, and I hope they're doing well, and it's hard not knowing if they are.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Teagan Tobias said:

...And as far as having a proper mesh body, I used mesh body addicts to research before I purchased my mesh body, it got good reviews from them.  But like “every” mesh body, you can find someone saying don’t buy it for what ever reason.  I bought the one I thought looked the best and has options that I found mandatory, like Omega completable and I can wear my shoes with it without spending a lot of money of even more items just to be able to use the body.

And layers, that one was a bit of a surprise, and I don’t know if all appliers work the same but I did not expect to have my panties show through my skirt when they are “applied” to the tattoo layer under a mesh dress.  But most likely there are things I don’t know yet.  And to be sure, I do not have a problem using alpha cuts, in fact I get a good laugh as I watch others dance with body parts poking through their clothing when a simple alpha would stop it from happening.

Not sure I'm understanding what the problem is, Teagan, so please forgive me if I get this wrong - it's not intentional.

I can pretty much wear any fitmesh clothing on my Maitreya Mesh Body, but I choose not to, for two reasons:

1 - Fitmesh clothing is often derendered by pervs and I hate that.

2 - Even using my HUD alphas, Fitmesh clothing (especially shirts and sweaters) more often than not cut through the arms/elbows and places that alphas on my HUD just don't cover. Were you using the alphas on your mesh body HUD, or were you trying to attach the alphas that came with the clothing?

I pretty much only buy applier clothing now - nothing cuts through and - as far as I'm aware - applier clothing can't be derendered. Applier dresses don't generally require you to wear knickers underneath because they usually have their own inbuilt 'modesty covering' anyway.

If you're wearing fitmesh dresses, though, you do need to use the alphas on your mesh body HUD to hide 'those bits' because yes, knickers will cut through the fabric of your fitmesh dress - so forget the knickers and just make the area invisible.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rhonda Huntress said:

I may be a perv but I have never intentionally derendered anyone’s clothes. I may grab a snapshot before the clothes res, tho. 

lol No, I wasn't referring to the usual checking out what someone's wearing kind of thing - I meant the pervs who intentionally derender your fitmesh clothes and then IM you with sleazy talk. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Not sure I'm understanding what the problem is, Teagan, so please forgive me if I get this wrong - it's not intentional.

I can pretty much wear any fitmesh clothing on my Maitreya Mesh Body, but I choose not to, for two reasons:

1 - Fitmesh clothing is often derendered by pervs and I hate that.

2 - Even using my HUD alphas, Fitmesh clothing (especially shirts and sweaters) more often than not cut through the arms/elbows and places that alphas on my HUD just don't cover. Were you using the alphas on your mesh body HUD, or were you trying to attach the alphas that came with the clothing?

I pretty much only buy applier clothing now - nothing cuts through and - as far as I'm aware - applier clothing can't be derendered. Applier dresses don't generally require you to wear knickers underneath because they usually have their own inbuilt 'modesty covering' anyway.

If you're wearing fitmesh dresses, though, you do need to use the alphas on your mesh body HUD to hide 'those bits' because yes, knickers will cut through the fabric of your fitmesh dress - so forget the knickers and just make the area invisible.

You specify fitmesh, I pretty much keep away from fit mesh unless its made for, rigged to, my body.  I have not had much luck with it fitting very well, its just not rigged right to fit right, because fit mesh is rigged to the LL body, if its not then its rigged for a mesh body and listed as such.  Could be just me but that is how it works for me.

And as for appliers, I don’t see a lot of difference between appliers and system clothing.  Yes some of it is better but its still applied to or pained on clothing.  That one thing was what made mesh clothing so good, its not painted on, it looks like your wearing clothing and not body paint.

And the alpha that comes with mesh clothing does not work with mesh bodies, it is for the classic body only, so no I don’t use that alpha, only the HUD with my body.  And its pretty good but hard to get precise enough for a lot of clothing.  I do like the clothing that comes with the alpha built in.

And what you say about fitmesh shirts and sweaters, yes if the clothing is not rigged to your body it will most likely not fit correctly, some come pretty close.  But having said that, I try on everything, I have found that depending on the creator I can use any number of items made for a variety of different bodies with my classic avatar and some of my mesh avatars.  I even use some fit mesh but its not often.

And what is most disturbing about the clothing, even something made explicitly for your body may not fit your body.  What a great system.
I still get some clothing for my mesh avatar but if I’m going out I usually just use my classic avatar, it just works better.

And as with everything, your millage may differ.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's really been aggravating me with Second Life is crap being sold on Second Life with a no mod restriction. It angers me so much! I've been looking for a new leather jacket to replace this old one for the last few days now. I've found a few quality potential orders, but everything I have found; even the stuff that doesn't fit my taste, is freaking NO MOD! Why is this a thing? Honestly, I don't care whatever reason anyone could have to justify it. For the most part no mod = no sale as far as I'm concerned.

But for this jacket, i need this mesh item to be moddable so I can add my own textures to it, cos I have patches and stuff I want on my leather jacket. But no, every flipping thing on the market place is no mod!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, shayferal said:

What's really been aggravating me with Second Life is crap being sold on Second Life with a no mod restriction. It angers me so much! I've been looking for a new leather jacket to replace this old one for the last few days now. I've found a few quality potential orders, but everything I have found; even the stuff that doesn't fit my taste, is freaking NO MOD! Why is this a thing? Honestly, I don't care whatever reason anyone could have to justify it. For the most part no mod = no sale as far as I'm concerned.

But for this jacket, i need this mesh item to be moddable so I can add my own textures to it, cos I have patches and stuff I want on my leather jacket. But no, every flipping thing on the market place is no mod!

full AND perm AND leather AND jacket

(Not sure of the gender you require, but another AND/NOT would refine the search even further.)

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

full AND perm AND leather AND jacket

(Not sure of the gender you require, but another AND/NOT would refine the search even further.)

If it were really that simple, I wouldn't be complaining.

The jacket has to fit a Belleza Freya body, be open faced to accommodate my avatar's other "enhancements", and fit a perticular rocker or biker look. I've found a number of candidates, but every single one of them was no mod, seemingly to promote the sale of other color combinations.

----

Oh, and after a few minutes of searching I found something that interested me.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Tay-Lay-Designs-Wild-Thing-Outfit-28-Mesh/7982100
 

Then I read the description, and wouldn't you know it. Thing is listed with copy and mod perms, but in the description the very item I would buy this outfit for, is no mod.

No mod, no sale.

Edited by shayferal
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, shayferal said:

The jacket has to fit a Belleza Freya body, be open faced to accommodate my avatar's other "enhancements", and fit a perticular rocker or biker look. I've found a number of candidates, but every single one of them was no mod, seemingly to promote the sale of other color combinations

So it's not that...

26 minutes ago, shayferal said:

every flipping thing on the market place is no mod

It's that you're unable to find something that's modifiable within a limited subset of three very specific requirements in combination.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cykarushb said:

So maybe we'll see unification, maybe some kind of body conversion kits or whatever so you can comfortably wear clothes for a Slink body while using a DSD body, or clothes designed for a DSD body while wearing a Slink body.

I would already be happy if they sold appliers for the mainstream bodies. Right now its so limiting. As an elf I can comfortably buy all kinds of clothes, because I picked Maitreya as my mesh body. But for some random DSD body there simply is not even a slight amount of that...if any clothes at all and I can't use anything thats already in my inventory and there are no events or big stores that produce content for those avatars. That situation is really the only downside of the whole mesh trend for me. Before that, it was possible to use all my clothes for all my avatars that had at least a somehwhat human-like shape.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

So it's not that...

It's that you're unable to find something that's modifiable within a limited subset of three very specific requirements in combination.

You make it sound unreasonable. But no, it's not. I've actually found several jackets that meet my needs of fitting my avatar and of a style that I'm looking for. But every single one of them is no mod. That aggravates me.

I'd pay a little extra for a mod perm version, but of the few contact I have made, no one has arsed to respond.

Edited by shayferal
Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest disappointment in SL is the level of homophobic abuse that is levelled at me on a semi-regular basis, for no reason other than I exist and have a male partner listed in my profile, either when I'm out and about, or in group chat. Every month or two someone makes the active decision to try and hurt me verbally. Last month's charming individual even gloated repeatedly about how much her insults must have upset me, in a group of 15,000 people, until she was banned from the group.

But hey, that's some people for ya.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

Teagan, more then likely if the garment does not fit the body it was labeled to have been rigged for; it was either not rigged properly by the creator or done experimentally and in some cases not labeled as such. I had the same issue you described a few years ago when I used a body by TMP. Unfortunately that body never gained widespread support (for varying reasons) and I grew tired of seeing all of the clothing I couldn't wear because it wasn't rigged for my body. I eventually threw in the towel, and bought a body by Maitreya and it made all the difference. While I do own bodies from other creators, there is no doubt that if you want to own a body with the widest support; it should be from Maitreya.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

big disappointments where losing last names, and how the process came to be. Rodvik made a meeting with the residents to find a solution, we eagerly cooperated to find a solution, and came out with something very viable, and at the end of all that group thinking session, we got a No.

then we got to see that it was still possible, when a Linden got a new custom last name.

maybe Linden Lab didn't saw significance in having last names or maybe it was spending too much resources in thinking in last names.

my other big disappointment was when Rodvik killed the General Discussions forums as they were, it was thriving with energy, everything happened, but I guess it was kind of chaotic and it was giving bad PR to Linden Lab.

other disappointment is to find many forms of discrimination, against furries, child avis, BDSM people, some people need to live and let live. if they disagree with the furry lifestyle for example, is up to them to not wear a furry avi, if they don't like child avis, they have the choice to never be a child avi. maybe it has to do with the tribal part of our humanity, some people feel more powerful when they know they belong to a certain group of people, they feel safer from the different ones, and probably raise their confidence, knowing that many people share their point of view. rejecting others that are too different makes the feel that they are in the right choice, improving their confidence.

Edited by Canoro Philipp
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

My biggest disappointment in SL is the level of homophobic abuse that is levelled at me on a semi-regular basis, for no reason other than I exist and have a male partner listed in my profile, either when I'm out and about, or in group chat. Every month or two someone makes the active decision to try and hurt me verbally. Last month's charming individual even gloated repeatedly about how much her insults must have upset me, in a group of 15,000 people, until she was banned from the group.

But hey, that's some people for ya.

Some people are simply out to stir the pot or simply to hurt others. Some time ago I was chilling out in a club that a friend of mine owned, it was an adult club for furries, but everyone was welcome. It was a pretty relaxed place, made alot of friends there. It was an absolute porn palace to boot! We had one individual who came around and started ranting about how offensive it was to have such erotic imagery hanging around in the open, and argued with me and other people who just told her straight up that if she didn't like it, she could leave. But she kept at it for a good while until finally one of the moderators banned her for being a nuisance.

Now, i've not been on the receiving end of much harassment at all in SL. But I have visited a few sims and groups that I had to promptly leave because it clearly stated that furry avatars were not welcome for one reason or another. Whatever... But that's only been a handful of places that I've ran across.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

My biggest disappointment in SL is the level of homophobic abuse that is levelled at me on a semi-regular basis, for no reason other than I exist and have a male partner listed in my profile, either when I'm out and about, or in group chat. Every month or two someone makes the active decision to try and hurt me verbally. Last month's charming individual even gloated repeatedly about how much her insults must have upset me, in a group of 15,000 people, until she was banned from the group.

But hey, that's some people for ya.

People like that still exist in 2017????

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Don't be disappointed - this does exist - and to defecate, you don't even need a toilet (or am I missing something?)

 

sh1t.jpg

I can´t help but notice Bad@zz in the background... EW ...pet peeve of mine... I´m glad to see something else than those horrible tanned oily skins under that lettering. Everytime I see those skins I want to stab my eyes out.... Since I first saw them.... I mean... seriously.... there´ve always been so many better skins and yet they were widely popular... I know I´m an ahole but I didn´t even talk to ppl wearing them xept they were asking me for advice to change skins xD

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2017 at 3:07 AM, Canoro Philipp said:

other disappointment is to find many forms of discrimination, against furries, child avis, BDSM people, some people need to live and let live. if they disagree with the furry lifestyle for example, is up to them to not wear a furry avi, if they don't like child avis, they have the choice to never be a child avi. maybe it has to do with the tribal part of our humanity, some people feel more powerful when they know they belong to a certain group of people, they feel safer from the different ones, and probably raise their confidence, knowing that many people share their point of view. rejecting others that are too different makes the feel that they are in the right choice, improving their confidence.

Exactly. It seems that a large majority of SL players have some kind of dysfunction or fringe interest, and that leads people to try and be the alpha and exclude everyone else. But at the end of the day, if one nerd wants to be a furry, and one nerd wants to be a submissive, it's kind of hypocritical to say that your nerd is more valid than others'.

15 hours ago, AnyaJurelle said:

People like that still exist in 2017????

Yeah. They elected Trump.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

Exactly. It seems that a large majority of SL players have some kind of dysfunction or fringe interest, and that leads people to try and be the alpha and exclude everyone else. But at the end of the day, if one nerd wants to be a furry, and one nerd wants to be a submissive, it's kind of hypocritical to say that your nerd is more valid than others'.

We're all weird people on this semi obscure virtual life game. If someone has a problem with what you're doing, who cares lmao. Just block em and move on. I can say that in the year ive been here, ive never gotten any flak for being a furfag. Even when i was new and had a free avatar and everything. In fact i think that to the average newbie its an appealing thing, ive had people ask me how to get furry avatars, where to look for them in the catalog, stores and makers, etc. I still get load of annoying little PM's from people who barely speak English trying to hook up with me (even though i have a listed partner on my profile >:L) with "obvious desires".

Untitled.png.264e71fe6eefb3a4aab963d5b67a6dc3.png

And these are just the ones still in my logs. Pretty much any time im in Social Island i get a bunch of these, not so much elsewhere.

But ive never had someone send me a PM with "yiff in hell furfag" or anything like that, not even once. Ive hardly even had people ask me about it in any kind of casual conversation. Its SecondLife ya know, theres a whole bunch of weird people here. You got me as a red panda, next to me is a person playing as a small raptor, another guy is a robot, someone dressed as Captain Kirk, vampires, werewolves, even a dude who plays as an actual Dog to the extent that ive never seen the dude chat anything other than "barks".

The only thing that keeps those people going are reactions, and on SL you wont get many reactions anymore. Older playerbase, if you want to annoy furries and start a flame war or whatever, go to IMVU where its dominantly teens who have a victim complex.

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...