Your Biggest SL Disappointment

JoeDex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, JoeDex said:

@Claireschen Hesten Please take a look at Maya's Buildings & Maya's Furniture- HQ Mesh. I have a piece of my property that is irregularly shaped and I found this really nice cottage that fit great. 

Hi Joe,

Does Maya's Buildings have any demos? I have been searching for a new home for a week and I always keep coming back to Maya's, but I can only find them on MP. Am I missing something inworld? Thanks

33 minutes ago, Purplerain Horowitz said:

Hi Joe,

Does Maya's Buildings have any demos? I have been searching for a new home for a week and I always keep coming back to Maya's, but I can only find them on MP. Am I missing something inworld? Thanks

Maya has a store, but I don't think I saw anyplace where the houses could rez.  Here's the last location I have for Maya's -- been a few months since I was there.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Zurich Hillside/74/74/35

• Like 1

My biggest disappointment is that after years of begging LL to implement the capability of making NPC's they finally began working on it, but a few weeks before the big release(within 2 days of this writing) they announce a restriction that will render the feature useless for most of the users in SL. If you want to see in detail what I'm talking about read the following jira:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-139203

• Sad 2

On 10/13/2017 at 8:10 PM, JoeDex said:

What has been you biggest SL disappointment? Is it the loss of a love? Finally get to date the hot girl (or guy and they turn out to be a dud. Maybe clothing that looks great on the ad but fits horribly on your avi. Let us know what has disappointed you most.

Linden Lab hasn't come out with a scripting command that would make Second Life better for everyone:

llShutPiehole

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, Tex Monday said:

That after 8 years, I still haven't beaten Wilt Chamberlain's record of sleeping with 20,000 women

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/08/the-sexual-prowess-of-wilt-chamberlain-20-000-women/261429/

That...and the whole last name thing. You'd think they'd figure out how to give people a name other than "resident" by now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Qa Boa said:

When the viewer went open source. Sure, we got Emerald and Phoenix and all the rest, but it also got us all those bots (which is often *more than half* the population of green dots I always see on the map).

Viewers aren't responsible for the bots. It was reverse engineering the sim system that did it. I don't think it was, anyway.

Edited by Phil Deakins

2 hours ago, Tex Monday said:

That...and the whole last name thing. You'd think they'd figure out how to give people a name other than "resident" by now

Display names were one of Linden Lab's biggest blunders, I bet whoever though of it never considered that "Master's f**k Toy" would be the number one choice for a name

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

My biggest disappointemnt is Linden Lab itself. Through the years they've shown little to no care at all for their paying customers, and they've done a number of things specifically against their paying customers, presumably because they believe that they don't have to take us into consideration - and they're right, because we keep putting up with it and coming back.

I don't now remember all the things they've done against their customers, but the Homestead fiasco readily springs to mind. Apart from that sort of thing, they've succeeded in changing the very nature of SL. The Marketplace started it. That caused inworld shops to disappear and SL hasn't been the same. Then they introduced mesh, which meant that people can no longer join SL and create on an equal footing like we could all do in the past. That has changed the nature of SL too.

I know that a lot of people, probably most people, are very happy with those 2 changes to the nature of SL, but that's not the point. I'm voicing my disappointments in this thread. Mainly, it's LL's near total lack of caring anything about their paying customers that I'm most disappointed about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

My biggest disappointemnt is Linden Lab itself. Through the years they've shown little to no care at all for their paying customers, and they've done a number of things specifically against their paying customers, presumably because they believe that they don't have to take us into consideration - and they're right, because we keep putting up with it and coming back.

I don't now remember all the things they've done against their customers, but the Homestead fiasco readily springs to mind. Apart from that sort of thing, they've succeeded in changing the very nature of SL. The Marketplace started it. That caused inworld shops to disappear and SL hasn't been the same. Then they introduced mesh, which meant that people can no longer join SL and create on an equal footing like we could all do in the past. That has changed the nature of SL too.

I know that a lot of people, probably most people, are very happy with those 2 changes to the nature of SL, but that's not the point. I'm voicing my disappointments in this thread. Mainly, it's LL's near total lack of caring anything about their paying customers that I'm most disappointed about.

I got trashed by someone else for saying it, buts whats so horrible about making everyone that sells on MP have an inworld presence?

I personally love mesh avatars and mesh clothes, not so crazy about mesh buildings though. I still build by stacking cubes inworld.

southland_002.png

Phil, everyone is on an equal footing in regards to content creation. While the process of building has evolved and become more complex, so have the creations we are now able to make as a result of those new tools. Blender is free to use and available to everyone. So the choice really is up to the end-user. If by equal footing you mean artistic ability, well that is out of LL's hands. That new user to second life had access to all of the tools you did (as they do now) ...

The lack of in-world shopping has more to do with the will of consumers, and less to do about LL. I for one still enjoy shopping in world from time to time, but I love the convenience and ability to locate items that I might never find just randomly roaming the grid. That freedom has allowed me to give business to those that I may not have discovered, if not for the marketplace.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

btw, speaking of last names. Was "Darkfire" the Smith of SL? I can't tell you how many times I have seen that last name used. I'd be curious to learn about its genesis if there is a story to tell. :D

Edited by Chase01

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I got trashed by someone else for saying it, buts whats so horrible about making everyone that sells on MP have an inworld presence?

Better still, LL shouldn't have even got into it. People do like shopping offworld, but there were already 2 successful systems offering that facility. LL didn't need to take them over and kill off most inworld stores and, in the process, diminish what SL once was. If they'd put their efforts into coming up with an inworld mesh-creating system, instead of spending all that time on trying to sort out the pig's ear they made of the Marketplace, then one of my big disappointments wouldn't have happened. The main one, though - the near total lack of consideration for paying customers - would still exist.

Edited by Phil Deakins

On 10/15/2017 at 9:31 AM, Lexbot Sinister said:

Correct information for starter? Like correct permissions, correct Li etc. If you get screwed over, there's no way to get your money back aside begging the person that screwed you over, which is it's all own kind of ironic.

That's fair. I was asking to make sure I didn't miss anything, and to help any other merchants in knowing what to add.

Over the years it has always been one thing or another that we complain about, but I could always go shopping and look as good as the next avatar.  But with the mesh body avatars so prevalent now, when I go shopping so much of the clothing is not even intended for me, now when I go shopping, most of the time when I see something I like, I can’t even use it.  And because shopping for my avatar was a big part of my SL, a big part of my SL is now gone.  So the absolute destruction of the clothing market has to be my biggest disappointment.  But hey, at least my SL is costing me a lot less money now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Teagan Tobias said:

Over the years it has always been one thing or another that we complain about, but I could always go shopping and look as good as the next avatar.  But with the mesh body avatars so prevalent now, when I go shopping so much of the clothing is not even intended for me, now when I go shopping, most of the time when I see something I like, I can’t even use it.  And because shopping for my avatar was a big part of my SL, a big part of my SL is now gone.  So the absolute destruction of the clothing market has to be my biggest disappointment.  But hey, at least my SL is costing me a lot less money now.

ummmm... so why not buy a mesh body?

:)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

That furry avatar creators seem to ignore the existance and popularity of certain non-furry mesh bodies.

A lot of furry avatars are built on their own thing because getting some parts to sync up with popular mesh bodies isnt an easy task and they might be kind of limiting. Furry avatars may or may not be more or less humanoid, which can be difficult to accurately produce modifying a regular human body.

In any sense the same kind of clothing/avatar relationship still exists within that circle of avatar creators. Many clothing stores like Apricot Paws sell items for everything from the Kemono and DSD bodies to the Bifrost bunny. Same as many clothing makers sell items for Maitreya, Slink, Belleza, etc.

And to top it all off, a lot of furry avatars are not really updated anymore though they are still very popular. DSD's fox is a good example, its not a full mesh avatar. It still relies on alphas and can wear a variety of clothing but its from like 2013 i think. Compared to a newer one being their Red Panda which is full mesh, but the mesh is its own thing, its not 100% compatible with other DSD compatible clothing, theres a few things that are listed specifically as being compatible with the Red Panda but not other DSD avatars.

So maybe we'll see unification, maybe some kind of body conversion kits or whatever so you can comfortably wear clothes for a Slink body while using a DSD body, or clothes designed for a DSD body while wearing a Slink body.

34 minutes ago, Teagan Tobias said:

I did, the problem only got worse.

Care to elaborate on this? Presumably with a proper mesh body you could wear just about anything short of layer clothing, which i think you can still wear somehow but i never bothered to learn how appliers work.

The dropping of lastnames for sure

The prices of mesh heads

The closing of clubs I loved, reducing of opening hours

the constant refusal of starter sims and LL to include "how to behave and not be a d*ck" in their starter stuff and tutorials

avatars who stay in their starteravatar for more than an hour ( I was about to type 5 minutes...)

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.