Your Biggest SL Disappointment

JoeDex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/13/2017 at 8:33 PM, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

I think my biggest disappointments are how non-American-timezone unfriendly SL can be, and how a lot of roleplaying is structured. I know there are people in other time zones, but I keep finding SL a barren wasteland when I can log in. It's like everyone in other time zones god frustrated that everything only happens in US times and just gave up. With roleplaying, it's how restrictive people with roleplaying and how differently they look at roleplaying (someone who took drama classes as a kid and is a tabletop roleplayer). The two culminate into me sitting around bored because there is no allowable roleplay available to me at the times I log in. For a massive community where anything goes, it's frustrating sometimes how limiting SL is if you aren't in the absolute mainstream.

You need to campaign your fellow countrymen to get an account. 

Phil, when I said it isn't a trial I was implying that unlike a trial, the matter is generally not open to debate. An end user is served notice with a general statement from the TOS and that's it. If you violate the terms of service they can deny your service period (paying customer or not). Some issues are completely black and white; for gray areas most TOS's I have seen specifically state that they can deny your service when they deem fit (paraphrasing). Obviously they felt your conduct was not appropriate based upon the general guidelines they have. I can see why they did it. The thread was a trainwreck.

You're right; In terms of dollars, it wouldn't be a worthwhile venture to pursue legal action; I never debated that point. You take the suspension, lick your wounds and move on with your life.

Edited by Chase01

16 hours ago, Chase01 said:

Obviously they felt your conduct was not appropriate based upon the general guidelines they have. I can see why they did it. The thread was a trainwreck.

@Chase01

Someone did, but it was overturned.

However, we are not discussing my experience. This thread is about people's disappointments in SL, and the lack of customer care is one of mine (posted back on page 2). I only posted about my recent experience because it happened after I'd posted on page 2, and it was yet another example of it.

Edited by Phil Deakins

On 10/27/2017 at 5:33 AM, Phil Deakins said:

You said that "It isn't a trial, it is a denial of service notice". When you have paid real money for a 24/7 service, and you are intentionally cut off from it for a period of time as a punishment, you are entitled to know precisely why you are being denied what you have paid for. It is a real world situation, and the only thing that prevents it from being a "trial" in the RL legal system is the tiny amounts of money involved. I think that the implication in your statement, as it applies to suspensions from SL, isn't quite right. You only need to scale the financial numbers up to realise that.

It may well be that other platforms do it the same way, but that doesn't excuse it. They can get away with it because the financials are tiny, and we still keep coming back in spite of it. It remains as an example of the LL company not caring about it's paying customers, which is one of my big disappointments about SL, and which is what the thread is about.

Were you denied service in Second Life, or in the Second Life Forums? And if the latter, what do you actually pay to use the forums?

19 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

The "slave" market and the amount of people I have on mute list.

Is that 2 seperate disappointments, or is the second related to the first?

What do you find so disappointing about the slave market? and, if they are not related, what is so disappointing about the number of people in your mute list?

For me, it's definitely the loss of last names, although I have probably created far fewer alts than I would have if they'd been kept on. So I guess losing them has saved me money!

The other main disappointment for me was the closing of Swing Times, a vintage 1940s sim. I guess everyone has places they miss that have disappeared; that one's mine.

• Like 1

As a new user, the sheer emptyness. Parts of the world are beautiful, but so unused. So much real estate for sale. So many vacant buildings. In one deserted club, I tried the DJ station, played one song to an empty room, turned off the sound and lighting effects, and left.

There are impressive, well-built places such as New Babbage. That city has so much beautiful detail, and there's so much to find. There are few people there, though. Its heyday was five to ten years ago. The factories and trams still run, empty. It's sad. I went to a party there two days ago, and most of the ten or so people who keep it going showed up for an hour. Not enough for a small city.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, animats said:

As a new user, the sheer emptyness. Parts of the world are beautiful, but so unused. So much real estate for sale. So many vacant buildings. In one deserted club, I tried the DJ station, played one song to an empty room, turned off the sound and lighting effects, and left.

There are impressive, well-built places such as New Babbage. That city has so much beautiful detail, and there's so much to find. There are few people there, though. Its heyday was five to ten years ago. The factories and trams still run, empty. It's sad. I went to a party there two days ago, and most of the ten or so people who keep it going showed up for an hour. Not enough for a small city.

How does a new user know that a place had its heyday 5-10 years ago?

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can tolerate most of what SL throws my way, except timed clothing demos.

I mean... really :/ 

Remembering a nice outfit, clicking....then.. "this demo has expired - you'll have to get another"

*noise of Trashcan lid clattering closed... Billy Idol sneer.... footsteps growing fainter..... 

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

My biggest disappointment was the dysfunction & drama I encountered when I tried to find a family in SL. I have since chosen to remain an orphan perpetually - which works out well since I'm far too introverted to socialize on a regular basis.

• Like 1

the only thing that i find disappointing imo is the fact that we have to pay 10 lindins just to save photos we take as well as upload pics, textures, ect, and we have to pay 10 lindins for those too! SMH >:( i mean i wish it was free for when we save photos to our inventory. i just hate that tbh…-_-(\ heck, why can't it all just be free when we upload and/or save photos, that much i don't get..:/ sometimes i think SL is being pretty freak'n greedy asf! >:[

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lisa006 Baxton said:

was just announced 2 hours ago....processing credits will be increased from 1.5% with $25 maximum to 2.5% with NO maximum. It would of been nice to at least keep the cap even it was raised a bit.  

Me too.

See the discussion in the merchant Forum

• Like 1

To me, the loss of last names was a disappointment. I've read a poor explanation before, where LL said it was mainly because people would abandon their names during signup, because they couldn't find a name they liked.

But i say: WRONG! I do remember those days. I tried to make an alt several times, but the signup system didn't always work like it should have. They used to sen you an "activation link" to your email, which you had to click otherwise you couldn't access your account. But many people didn't get this activation email for some reason. I tried several email adresses back then. And now there are about 6 accounts of mine being in limbo, i can't use them because i couldn't activate them. And by the time they got rid of last names, they also got rid of the activation links.

Maybe some of you remember, and i am sure many people had the same problem, but LL doesn't understand that. I wish they would bring the last names back.

• Like 1

On 2.11.2017 at 5:35 AM, Rena Claremont said:

the only thing that i find disappointing imo is the fact that we have to pay 10 lindins just to save photos we take as well as upload pics, textures, ect, and we have to pay 10 lindins for those too! SMH >:( i mean i wish it was free for when we save photos to our inventory. i just hate that tbh…-_-(\ heck, why can't it all just be free when we upload and/or save photos, that much i don't get..:/ sometimes i think SL is being pretty freak'n greedy asf! >:[

Thats why I save my screenshots on my computer, if I don't need them explicitly to be in my inventory.

The lack of diversity, and the company's unwillingness to do anything to encourage a wider userbase. SL is the most mono-ethnic place I have ever encountered outside of a short trip to Vermont a few decades ago. SL may even be more 'ethnic white' than Vermont (which was over 90% Caucasian) was when I went there.

It is jarring to be in a space so lacking in perspectives. And to actually see how little they notice this is disheartening. In my RL the whites I encounter and even enjoy as friends seem to thrive with and enjoy global variety - but SL implies they would not even notice if the rest of us were erased. That is both disheartening and scary.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

The lack of diversity, and the company's unwillingness to do anything to encourage a wider userbase. SL is the most mono-ethnic place I have ever encountered outside of a short trip to Vermont a few decades ago. SL may even be more 'ethnic white' than Vermont (which was over 90% Caucasian) was when I went there.

Well think of the kind of people who like to spend a lot of time in a virtual social world, its mainly bored white women and teenagers. Thats kinda how its always been even back in the early 2000's with my mom and her friends online with yahoo messenger chatrooms and stuff. Linden labs doesnt push this, thats just how social games are. Generally ethnic minorities dont care about this kinda stuff and they dont play these games. And on top of that you have the already very small demographic of people who play social games at all still.

Think about the userbase here, if its an even percentage of the entire population of a country, say just the United states for example, ~77% of the users would be white, 13% would be african american, hispanic or latino would be ~17%, asians would be ~6%, listed multiracial would be ~3%. And yes i know those dont make 100%, those are numbers from the 2016 US Census Bureau, i forgot the exact way they categorize white mixed race but thats what causes the majority of the inconsistency there,  a more realistic number out of that is "white alone" at 61%.

So 61% of all US users would be white. Just white. In total you're looking at ~77% of users being dominantly white. And thats just US users, countries in Europe generally have overwhelmingly white populations, they dont have as many ethnic minorities or people of different skin colors there. But then again the exact opposite could be said for a few other countries where online gaming is popular, India, Brazil and Mexico are the big 3, where you will always find plenty of them in SL. Next to none of them are white either.

Its just a matter of the people who actually play SL, not that SL isnt doing enough to attract POC or wont. Any social game is mainly white people.

And lets not even get into the amount of people on here who dont use an avatar that represents their IRL body or ethnicity.

Edited by cykarushb

3 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

It is jarring to be in a space so lacking in perspectives. And to actually see how little they notice this is disheartening. In my RL the whites I encounter and even enjoy as friends seem to thrive with and enjoy global variety - but SL implies they would not even notice if the rest of us were erased. That is both disheartening and scary.

Are you referring to the race of users or the race of avatars?

If the former, how do you know what race the users are?

If the latter, what race is a furry?

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.