Your Biggest SL Disappointment

JoeDex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What has been you biggest SL disappointment? Is it the loss of a love? Finally get to date the hot girl (or guy and they turn out to be a dud. Maybe clothing that looks great on the ad but fits horribly on your avi. Let us know what has disappointed you most.

I think my biggest disappointments are how non-American-timezone unfriendly SL can be, and how a lot of roleplaying is structured. I know there are people in other time zones, but I keep finding SL a barren wasteland when I can log in. It's like everyone in other time zones god frustrated that everything only happens in US times and just gave up. With roleplaying, it's how restrictive people with roleplaying and how differently they look at roleplaying (someone who took drama classes as a kid and is a tabletop roleplayer). The two culminate into me sitting around bored because there is no allowable roleplay available to me at the times I log in. For a massive community where anything goes, it's frustrating sometimes how limiting SL is if you aren't in the absolute mainstream.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

I think my biggest disappointments are how non-American-timezone unfriendly SL can be...

Agree about that!  So I spend the time waiting for my US partner trying to fit clothes that I bought before my mesh body.... fixing the same kind of problems as cykarushb.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

I think my biggest disappointments are how non-American-timezone unfriendly SL can be, and how a lot of roleplaying is structured. I know there are people in other time zones, but I keep finding SL a barren wasteland when I can log in. It's like everyone in other time zones god frustrated that everything only happens in US times and just gave up. With roleplaying, it's how restrictive people with roleplaying and how differently they look at roleplaying (someone who took drama classes as a kid and is a tabletop roleplayer). The two culminate into me sitting around bored because there is no allowable roleplay available to me at the times I log in. For a massive community where anything goes, it's frustrating sometimes how limiting SL is if you aren't in the absolute mainstream.

I live on US Central Time, but work 3rd Shift (When everyone else is sleeping) so I have something of the same issue; during my natural “online time” SL can be very empty.

My current solution is to make myself sleep IMMEDIATELY when I get home from work, so I can be online for Prime Time in SL - meaning I sleep from 4pm-midnight GMT. 

I am not sure how widely SL is marketed to the public in the UK and Eurozone, but I suspect it is “not aggressively” pushed so much as in the US and Canada. If memory serves, some years back there was content-related litigation that rose from differing legal standards in some countries - so that May explain some of the “why”. Or not - I’m guessing :-)

I’m sure SL would love people like you and I to recruit others to be on in our timeframes :-)

I have also had luck in the off-time slots by setting up my social life around venues that stay busy 24-hours a day and by seeking out Groups and Venues from time zones that have a better chance of being on.

On Roleplay - I love it, but in SL it’s withering. The expense of maintaining a sim is great and the reward of getting to Play is often diminished by the personal drama many players bring with them. It’s tough sledding to run a sim, but I hope we can push through this slow period and keep it alive in SL.

• Like 1

My biggest disappointment has been my inability to find a dance HUD that allows two female avatars to dance together without having massive height-offset issues, sync issues, dances that look awkward, or some mix of all three :-)

Its not a big deal, but my Partner and I -like- to dance together.

• Like 4

Honestly I can't think of anything that really bothered me more than Philip Rosedale leaving..

I'm sure there is other things,but that's all that really comes to mind.. I remember just really being bummed and shocked that he was leaving.

Second worst would have to be M as CEO.

He was nothing like Philip,at all..

• Like 6

Display names (and removal of last names) is my number one biggest dissappointment and how people abuse them with some crazy unreadable characters. :( The naming system was totally broken when new accounts could not have last names anymore. This was one of the most disastrous decision Linden Lab has ever made. >:(

• Like 16

My biggest disappointment is how differently RL people I have recommended to join SL , act once they are in world. They are come across completely different than if and when I have dealt with them in person. The  preconception 'bubble' was pre-popped so to speak.

• Like 1

A few things:
The demise of "Free Land" when the owner vanished from SL and all three and a half mainland sims got reclaimed
Getting Portal Park/Realm banned
Mesh clothes finding too many really nice things that don't fit in any size. i must have a weird body
Usernames, you no longer get to see new really creative first and last name parings 
Marketplace shopping when the seller doesn't include the crucial information you need

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Display names (and removal of last names) is my number one biggest dissappointment and how people abuse them with some crazy unreadable characters. :( The naming system was totally broken when new accounts could not have last names anymore. This was one of the most disastrous decision Linden Lab has ever made. >:(

first - the same! I am so disappointed that LL removed last names and introduced a login name with Resident. And what it worse, it was completely unexpected, because when you create new account, it says " You will use your username to login, so don't forget it. ". I assumed that it was ONLY login and I'd be allowed to select my first and last name later so I put this meaningless name there. And now I am stuck with that.

Second - also the same. People using a lot of unicode characters, especially when these don't belong in the name and in gestures or whatever it is called. Honestly, when I see main chat spammed with some crazy characters, I want to run away from a place like this.

And third - people in general. Their behavior. More or less what Talli said when created the thread about desperate people.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hunter Stern said:

My biggest disappointment is how differently RL people I have recommended to join SL , act once they are in world. They are come across completely different than if and when I have dealt with them in person. The  preconception 'bubble' was pre-popped so to speak.

But one of the great things about SL is that you can be totally different here. You introduce people to a place where that part of their personality they suppress everyday can find expression, and then are disappointed when that happens. That isn't something to be disappointed in, but a reason to celebrate SL.

• Like 1

When the viewer went open source. Sure, we got Emerald and Phoenix and all the rest, but it also got us all those bots (which is often *more than half* the population of green dots I always see on the map). And that's not to mention all the other exploits. "CopyBot" was a rather very technical thing one had to do with viewer cache and the rest. Then there were copybook viewers. Which put most creators into panic mode (unnecessarily, I should add: Hey creators: Most of you aint all that). There are many other things, but for my biggest: that is it. Still is.

LL was even thinking of open-sourcing the simulators. But they saw what was happening with the viewer and very quickly changed their mind. Good thing, too, else SL likely wouldn't't exist right now.

Edited by Qa Boa
Clarified others things than just account-bots
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, TatianaNikolay said:

my first relationship ended because he said he couldn't handle our 3 hour time zone difference

My partner and I have handled a five-hour timezone difference for ten years. If we can't be together inworld, we chat most days through some other medium: Discord, Skype, etc. Even direct messages or emails picked up after the fact. When both halves of a relationship want it to work, they find a way to keep in touch. If your ex couldn't make the effort for a three-hour difference, he wasn't worth keeping anyway ;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The awful vehicle physics. Wasn't expecting GTA/PS/XBOX style smoothness, but didn't expect it to be as bad as it is. Don't know why people pay good money for cars, motorbikes, planes, etc on here, tbh - unless they just like them as parked props.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

What information would be better?

It would be category dependant of course but recently i've been browsing the "buildings and other structures" section for a potential new home, in that section when buying a building you need to know if it's going to fit your land in my case a 1024sqm plot having browsed a lot of builds i've liked the look of there are many creators that will include prims/Li but they wont include footprint size or they won't make any mention of prims/size 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

It would be category dependant of course but recently i've been browsing the "buildings and other structures" section for a potential new home, in that section when buying a building you need to know if it's going to fit your land in my case a 1024sqm plot having browsed a lot of builds i've liked the look of there are many creators that will include prims/Li but they wont include footprint size or they won't make any mention of prims/size 

And if they do not have an inworld store where the house can be rezzed, then I want a demo.

Speaking of which, lack of demos in general is one of my biggest irritants and disappointments since returning.  Clothing is mostly all rigged and cannot be sized or shifted, thus a demo is important, but so many creators do not have them.  I'd really love demos of jewelry also so that I can get an idea of the CI before buying it - or wish that creators would note the CI (though I hear that that is different per person based on their viewer and computer).

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.