texure

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can only change textures on things that you have permission to modify. Find the house in your inventory and look to see whether it says (no modify) after the name.  If so, your only option is to make a fake wall by rezzing a prim in front of the real one and stretching it to fit in the space.  Then texture the fake wall.

If you do have permission to modify the house, you probably still want to texture fake walls, because it's unlikely that you will be able to texture the walls individually.  They are almost certainly not separate objects with unique faces.  If you decide to drag/drop a texture onto one of them, you will probably end up changing a lot more than you intended to.  If you really want to try, I strongly suggest trying it on a copy of the house you intend to live in, because there is no "undo" operation for changing textures.

If you are extremely lucky, the creator of your house designed it with a scripted system that allows you to retexture or recolor some surfaces from a menu of options.  That's the way the Linden Lab homes in the Horizons regions all work, for example. 

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Find the house in your inventory and look to see whether it says (no modify) after the name. 

I thought sometimes an object says (no modify) because at least 1 prim or inventory contents are "no mod", does that necessarily mean the entire structure is "no mod"?

True, and I probably should have mentioned that, so thank you.  Still, the chances are so slim these days that you will ever be able to retexture a single wall of a house that it didn't seem worth the effort of getting into the weeds on how to deal with a modifiable house.

If the OP is still watching, though, the way to be perfectly sure whether a specific part of your house is modifiable is to right click on the house and select EDIT to open the edit tool in your viewer.  Then click the button in the Editor that says "Select Link" and left click on the wall you are interested in. Look on the General page of the Edit tool to see whether there is a notice that says you can modify the object.  If so, you can.  However, as long as that link is still selected, look at the yellow or blue line that surrounds it. If you decide to retexture that link, you will potentially be retexturing the entire thing, which may be a good deal bigger than just one wall in the house.  Even if you are more restrictive and click the "Select Face" button as well, you will probably see that the selected face includes more than just one wall.  [This is why I didn't want to get into the weeds with an answer, until Love Zhaoying provoked me.  :)  ]

4 hours ago, JaclynFashion said:

I have a house. I also buy floor and wall texture. but am trying to learn how to change the texture that I buy to put in the house.

The easiest way is select the texture in your inventory and drag it onto the surface you want to change. That works unless you need to change the texture repats or such for it to fit. If you do, it's alittle bit more complicated.

As Rolig said, you can only change the house if it's modifiable and you should only change it if it's copyable because you want to keep a backup copy in case hings go wrong.

Also make VERY SURE that you house is copy and that the one you rezzed is not your ONLY ONE (as in a gacha and some brands). You have no way of "going back" in that case.  

ALSO NOTE that many house now that are mesh have MANY textures all on one texture plane. So using "select face" and clicking will let you change just one thing (like the floor for example). BUT there is no guarantee that it will look as you suspect as there are many factors involved. 

Hence that "make sure it is a copy house" in my first line :D.

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.