Furniture - Is there a furniture thread?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Virtualnsanity said:

why do i need copy? is it worth paying extra for copy?

I would say if there's a choice between copy/no copy and you can afford copy do it the SL servers can have a hic-up and you end up loosing anything rezzed that's no copy LL do advise during maintenance and and grid problems not to rezz no copy stuff, or you may want to edit an item, if you make a complete hash of it you can always rezz another. I don't generally like no copy due to the risk of the item vanishing but i do buy the no copy versions of things if it's the only way i can afford them

@Virtualnsanity - There are some furniture folks at The Wash Cart sale.   Vendors have roughly a half dozen items for 10L each as well as maybe a few at 50L and almost every vendor has a free gift to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Sale.  If you see something you like then 10L(or even free) is a great bargain.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/The Wash/208/108/23

29 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

I wouldn't trust that too much. Positive reviews can be bought. It happens a lot more than we like to think.

Yes, I agree - when there's only a handful of reviews, but unless their squillionaires, then I don't imagine they can pay for 60+ positive reviews? Those are the ones I tend to watch out for; one or two reviews, not so much.

14 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

My inworld home is virtually a shrine to that store with my rented land needing to be dual use i don't have a lot of available prims to spare so anything 1 prim has been really helpful for me all the items have two price points depending on whether it's copy or no copy

these were the items i was torn on - their best selling bed with animations is L$2000 and gets amazing reviews and I can go try it inworld - it says some of it is copyable and modifiable but some parts arent (animations i think) - but they have a full copy version for L$8000 which to me seemed a crazy price! Do i really need the expensive COPY versions of their bed, sofa, kitchen, bathroom? 

27 minutes ago, Virtualnsanity said:

these were the items i was torn on - their best selling bed with animations is L$2000 and gets amazing reviews and I can go try it inworld - it says some of it is copyable and modifiable but some parts arent (animations i think) - but they have a full copy version for L$8000 which to me seemed a crazy price! Do i really need the expensive COPY versions of their bed, sofa, kitchen, bathroom? 

Sometimes the contents of furniture have to be no modify because of next user perms set by the creator. For example texture change scripts bought from another source have to be no modify in accordance with the licence.  I presume its the same for animations though no experience of this because we make our own.   As long as the furniture you buy can be copied, you will be fine and there is no need for such an expensive purchase while you are still finding your feet in SL.  

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

@Virtualnsanity - There are some furniture folks at The Wash Cart sale.   Vendors have roughly a half dozen items for 10L each as well as maybe a few at 50L and almost every vendor has a free gift to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Sale.  If you see something you like then 10L(or even free) is a great bargain.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/The Wash/208/108/23

I'd go with LittleMe's suggestion and check out the cart sale.  Take a little time to use more stuff before blowing 8k on something.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm not a creator, so I'm just guessing here.  Maybe some of this comes from an initial try with smaller textures and it doesn't look right and so a larger texture is used and thus the larger size becomes the default.  It costs to upload each texture, so is there any way to know which one is best without uploading and checking it inworld?  If you start small, but have something that needs a bigger texture, how may uploads would you have to maybe do before you finally had increased to the correct larger size for your project?  Or can you upload textures for free on the test grid and try things there?

There are lots of ways to texture an object.  You can make it with a lot of materials, and then texture each one with a seamless texture - this is often seen as the easy way.  On the other end of the scale you can make a complex, properly scaled and rotated UV Map, take that and paint it in GIMP (or if wealthy and don't mind feeding anti-trusties, Photoshop), and bake it onto the object, finally uploading that 'fitted' texture - which can only be used on that item.  You can guess which end of the spectrum costs most.

1 hour ago, Virtualnsanity said:

Usually scripts are nomod if it's not a fullperm item. But then and because the scripts are nomod, the whole item becomes tagged as nomod while sometimes it is still possible to edit it and to change textures, unlink parts, resize a part, delete a part, etc... That's how I customized my bike while the script engine is nomod.

1 hour ago, Virtualnsanity said:

Hmmm, it is 2000 for a no copy bed. I would say, there are lots of adult beds with all the nice and not so nice menus you wish for, and they are copy.

It is not worth it. And also, a high number of animations does not mean they are good animations.

Another thing, testing out inworld: While you can edit a mod piece of furniture yourself manually, those with animations is not so easy to edit. The animations can be offset. Best is to find a size of furniture that fits your avatar size.

• Like 2

A store like ::R:a:W:A:g:e:: gives you an 8 LI copy bed wih custom animations for 5000 L and while that price is high, it is cheaper than the 1 prim bed in copy version.

Also the 1 prim bed, you need to have 2 more LI for rezzing, so it is in reality a 3 LI bed.

You can find so many good beds if you go up to 5-10 LI.

4 hours ago, AnyaJurelle said:
4 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I wouldn't trust that too much. Positive reviews can be bought. It happens a lot more than we like to think.

Yes, I agree - when there's only a handful of reviews, but unless their squillionaires, then I don't imagine they can pay for 60+ positive reviews? Those are the ones I tend to watch out for; one or two reviews, not so much.

More often than not, when I've seen this, the reviews are being purchased with goods, not cash. I've seen many offers like: "The first 50 people to leave a review will get a free [item]," and so forth. The creators who do this are careful not to state that the review should be positive, but most people who are going to respond to that kind of prompt will probably have a nagging voice in the back of their mind that says "If I leave a negative review I might not get the freebie, so I'll say some nice words instead", and thus they leave a positive review.

ETA: I know of at least one (major) creator who will occasionally offer a refund of the purchase cost of the reviewed item for the first 25 or so reviews, too. It's technically a bit of lost revenue for them, but the reviewer gave them that money in the first place, so...

Edited by Skell Dagger

Copy vs Nocopy : with a copy item, you can rezz as many copies of it as you want and you've a backup copy in your inventory.

Mod vs Nomod : Mod allows you to customize a furniture, except if you stick to a popular design or want unmatching furnitures.

Some items are tagged as nomod because the script inside them is nomod while it is possible to edit the object.

LI, a.k.a. Land Impact : meshes have decimal values from 0.06 to NNNN which means that if you combine them, you can lower the LI. Example : 3 mesh flowers for 1 LI only vs 3 prim flowers for 3 LI. However to be able to link meshes together, they need to be either copy/mod or nocopy/mod.

This should help to figure what's a good furniture then for the prices? Well that's why there are so many creators...

Edited by Morgan Rosenstar

@Skell Dagger Oh geez, is there no end to corruption? 

But really, I'm only talking about the L$1-L$10 cheapies - those I don't mind taking a chance on and frankly, I've found some beautifully created items in that price range.

And where are all these crooked creators offering goods for reviews? Why don't they ever seem to find me, huh? *cackle*

1 hour ago, AnyaJurelle said:

But really, I'm only talking about the L$1-L$10 cheapies - those I don't mind taking a chance on and frankly, I've found some beautifully created items in that price range.

Yes, in this price range I don't worry about a demo or too much about reviews (unless they all s*ck, of course).  While I have had many super, super cheap items go straight into the trash, I have found enough nice stuff to make up for.  And in some cases, that super cheap item has led me to a new creator where I ultimately end up spending money on their more expensive stuff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Virtualnsanity said:

Whilst copy is desirable you probably aren't going to rezz multiple copies of the bed suite, lounge suite, bathroom, kitchen or other stuff from that store. in which no copy would do. unless your heart is set on the L$8k bed there is a sculpted bed at a more reasonable L$950. 

8 hours ago, Virtualnsanity said:

Do i really need the expensive COPY versions of their bed, sofa, kitchen, bathroom? 

This is where decisions can get difficult. While you will likely not ever rez two copies of those items at the same time, SL is known for its little glitches here and there. Some of the glitches cause inworld items to disappear.  If you have another copy in inventory, it is not quite as big of an issue.  By the same token, the chances of it happening to your stuff is likely slim, so it is a matter of weighing the item cost against your comfort level with possibility of loss.

IF I were to buy a 'no copy' version of an expensive item (and 'expensive' is even a relative term), I would only do it from a creator that has been around for a while and thus gives me more warm fuzzies about still being here when I possibly lose the item.  If you keep the transaction history for such an item and you lose it during a known SL issue (i.e. something they blog or you have a support ticket confirming a problem), then you can often get said creator to give you another one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jameson2001 said:

Very helpful advice Marianne:)  Especially for someone now looking for a very fancy furniture set!  Me  image.jpeg.b03fe672a0509434a0b8621b7e493227.jpeg

If you like the shabby chic-look, or romantic cabin style... check out Zen Creations. I didn't mention them to VI, since he was looking at a very modern bed. The menu there is big enough for me, indeed.

It is no modify, but I love the look so.... I will not start to mess with textures anyway. Very nice prices. And also InVerse. Surprisingly good for that low price.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.