Furniture - Is there a furniture thread?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Two things to mention about furnitures before you buy any :

- copy/mod permissions : if you want to decorate your homeplace in an unique and custom way, you'll need the furnitures to be modifiable.

- textures : a lot of mesh furnitures are overtextured and generates a lot of lag. See the picture below :

https://my.secondlife.com/morgan.rosenstar/snapshots/53deabef8da5726771000001?version=original

As a roleplayer, I've decorated my homeplace mostly with fantasy stuff and I don't know if that's what you're looking for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Yeah i couldn't possibly comment on where I think the best furniture is ?

Being a smart scouser myself I put two and two together and hey ho whaddya know. I will have a mooch through your catty. Some nice stuff there. Only got the standard linden home initially so need to keeps prims to a minimum. I refuse to throw too much cash at this yet until i get to grips with it all and decide what i want. NTMU though - feel free to add me inworld! Us scousers need to stick together! (virtualnsanity)

• Haha 1

Scrolling through the MP is always an option. There's a mind-boggling array of furniture to check out and as others have said, make sure they're copy/mod and check out any reviews. Saves a bit of time if you tick the 'copy' and 'modify' boxes down the left hand side of the MP page:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?search[category_id]=6

Prim Possible seem to do a lot of decent 1Prim stuff which I would imagine is good if you only have a Linden Home to fill? Anyone else familiar with their stuff? " new Linden Homes came up for me today when I went to get one at Meadowbrook - the Grayson & Loftroom had gone and Plumtree and another had replaced them.

1 hour ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

- textures : a lot of mesh furnitures are overtextured and generates a lot of lag. See the picture below :

https://my.secondlife.com/morgan.rosenstar/snapshots/53deabef8da5726771000001?version=original

I'm not a creator, so I'm just guessing here.  Maybe some of this comes from an initial try with smaller textures and it doesn't look right and so a larger texture is used and thus the larger size becomes the default.  It costs to upload each texture, so is there any way to know which one is best without uploading and checking it inworld?  If you start small, but have something that needs a bigger texture, how may uploads would you have to maybe do before you finally had increased to the correct larger size for your project?  Or can you upload textures for free on the test grid and try things there?

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If you choose to peruse the MP, I don't think I'd buy anything without being able to see it inworld, unless it is super cheap.

I never understand why people don't do this either.  Sometimes wonder why we pay for land for a store

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm not a creator, so I'm just guessing here.  Maybe some of this comes from an initial try with smaller textures and it doesn't look right and so a larger texture is used and thus the larger size becomes the default.

I don't think there's any valid excuse to add lag as it falls directly under a creator's responsability to be careful about it.

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If you start small, but have something that needs a bigger texture, how may uploads would you have to maybe do before you finally had increased to the correct larger size for your project?  Or can you upload textures for free on the test grid and try things there?

As many uploads as there are unlinkable parts.

Here's an example of what I did with a modifiable furniture. On the left side the original textured one (all 1024x1024, each part) and on the right side with 512x512 textures. While the retextured one looks less detailed, it's very rare that someone's going to zoom that close to a furniture so high textures are really not needed.

https://my.secondlife.com/morgan.rosenstar/snapshots/5793c436b713f72a5e000001?version=original

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Scrolling through the MP is always an option. There's a mind-boggling array of furniture to check out and as others have said, make sure they're copy/mod and check out any reviews. Saves a bit of time if you tick the 'copy' and 'modify' boxes down the left hand side of the MP page:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?search[category_id]=6

What is the difference between copy & mod?

Some of the furniture I have seen has 2 versions -

a cheaper one that is mod & copy in parts but not all because animations etc 

a much more expensive version that is fully COPY

Copy means you can copy the item as many times as you like - for instance, a chest of drawers, a side table, etc; if you want one in a couple of rooms, right click the item in your inventory and 'copy' and paste it into it's folder so you'll have 2.

Modify - right click and 'edit' - I've sometimes had to do that with things that might be just a wee bit too large for an area, but you're stuck with it if it doesn't have 'modify' permission.

Full perms (copy/mod/transfer) are more expensive because that means you can copy/modify/transfer the item to an alt (or someone else) or - as is more usually the case with full perm item - sell multiple copies (if that's in their terms - they'll usually tell you what you can and can't do with the item).

I tend to just go for the copy/mod items - not really a shopkeeper kinda girl :)

• Like 1

LOL you're welcome. If I missed anything, I'm sure someone will pipe in and let us know, but that's pretty much what it all means.

Make sure to read the description for items and if the creator doesn't cover what you need to know, you can always send them an IM or a notecard to ask.

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I never understand why people don't do this either.  Sometimes wonder why we pay for land for a store

Yeah, IMO the MP is for searching to find places that seem to have items you might like and then you go to the inworld store to actually see and/or try said item.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Copy means you can copy the item as many times as you like - for instance, a chest of drawers, a side table, etc; if you want one in a couple of rooms, right click the item in your inventory and 'copy' and paste it into it's folder so you'll have 2.

Or just drag it out to rez and you'll automatically get another copy because the original is still in inventory if it has copy permissions.

• Like 2

I prefer (although not always possible) to have copy/mod rights on my furniture and decor items. As others have already pointed out, with copy rights, you can duplicate the item for use elsewhere. Outside of what Anya suggested; I also see the value in copy for the following reasons:

• If I mod a piece of furniture or an accessory, I can now have an original copy in addition to my modded copy. This saves me time, and allows me to more freely mod without worry.
  • If you plan to change homes, or move at some point, but want to preserve your furnished home; you can pack it up in its entirety and still have the freedom to use any of those items in another build. If its no copy, you will have to pull those items prior to packing, or if you decide to pack the home with those items, you will not be able to use them until you unpack that home and retrieve them.
  • With copy, you essentially have a backup. If you delete the item (either from your inventory or from in-world), you can just unpack another copy without having to deal with content creators or redelivery systems. In the cases of gacha items, you're SOL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Virtualnsanity said:

Prim Possible seem to do a lot of decent 1Prim stuff which I would imagine is good if you only have a Linden Home to fill? Anyone else familiar with their stuff? " new Linden Homes came up for me today when I went to get one at Meadowbrook - the Grayson & Loftroom had gone and Plumtree and another had replaced them.

My inworld home is virtually a shrine to that store with my rented land needing to be dual use i don't have a lot of available prims to spare so anything 1 prim has been really helpful for me all the items have two price points depending on whether it's copy or no copy

1 minute ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

My inworld home is virtually a shrine to that store with my rented land needing to be dual use i don't have a lot of available prims to spare so anything 1 prim has been really helpful for me all the items have two price points depending on whether it's copy or no copy

why do i need copy? is it worth paying extra for copy?

41 minutes ago, Virtualnsanity said:

It may depend on the furniture. Example : for a bed? It can be ok if it's not copiable as you'll probably need only one but for chairs, you want to be able to rezz different copies of the chair to furnish a room. But generally it's better to have copiable furnitures.

1 hour ago, Virtualnsanity said:

In addition to what Morgan said, if you modify the furniture - size, texture, etc... - and you mess it up, it is a good idea to have an original copy in inventory to revert to.

The only no-copy items I would buy for a house would have to be a specialty item - like artwork for the wall or such or certain other decorations.  However, for actual furniture I would always want copy ability.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Virtualnsanity said:

Plus things disappear in SL. I have dragged items out from my inventory to place them out, and they literally vanish. Restart of the sim you live in is also dangerous. It's too late in RL for me to try and explain...

Can be very handy to just rez a new copy. Depending on the value of the item too. I can afford to lose a 25L chair, but not so if it's my bed with the "interesting" animations that I paid a lot for.

Garden stuff, I always need copy of them so I can rez clusters of flowers.

If things have the same permissions, mod and copy, they can be linked together. This way one can save LI (Land impact) or just move things more easy.... Can not link no mod to anything. Can not link no copy to copy either.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.