Extra versions of same product

Olyvya Constantine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I recently updated to a Maitreya Lara mesh body and have been updating my inventory (after a 2 yr break all my old mesh was outdated and I cleaned out a lot of non mesh I can’t wear). I’m noticing a lot of the mesh clothes now have multiple copies of the item included for the more popular mesh bodies. My question is, if you only use one mesh body, do y’all keep all the other versions, or do you delete them? Part of me is worried that one day I might add another mesh body to my inventory- but as pricy as they are, I don’t see that happening in the near future haha. So I don’t know if they’re worth keeping or not. 

82183A86-ED52-43A4-A6E8-41178360169B.jpeg

i remove all except Maitreya because I am sure I will not switch to any other body. I dont spend so much time in SL to play with several body brands and I am pretty happy with what I have now. Only keeping unpacked copies of favorite things. This way I end up around 7 k inventory items

• Like 1

I'm the same as Kotelle.  I consider the vast majority of my wardrobe to be 'wear once' items anyway (because there are just too many cool things to wear in SL), so I get rid of everything except the version I'm actually going to wear - and I have no intention of changing my mesh body.  I only keep original boxes on a few special high dollar items.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I keep only what I can wear and toss the rest along with all the note cards, animations and scripts the unpackers hand out.  This is actually how I know I havn't worn something yet; if I still have all the other versions and the packing parts in inventory I have not worn it.

yeeey I´m not the only one doing it^^

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

When I unpack a shopping bag or a box, I keep that original in my inventory so I can unpack as many fresh copies as I need later.

For stuff I buy that come directly in a folder, I delete the things I don't need. I can get a redelivery from most stores.

Oh I do that sometimes as well, depending on the item. I'm referring to the different versions for all the different bodies out there now. 

4 hours ago, Kotelle said:

i remove all except Maitreya because I am sure I will not switch to any other body. I dont spend so much time in SL to play with several body brands and I am pretty happy with what I have now. Only keeping unpacked copies of favorite things. This way I end up around 7 k inventory items

Yeah, I've only had it a few days, but I'm very happy with it. I wasn't sure it would be worth the money, but mesh clothes are so much more fun than they were 2 years ago- all those alpha layers were such a pain! 

37 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I keep only what I can wear and toss the rest along with all the note cards, animations and scripts the unpackers hand out.  This is actually how I know I havn't worn something yet; if I still have all the other versions and the packing parts in inventory I have not worn it.

This is a great idea! 

• Thanks 1

I really just SHOULD cut down on all of the extra versions of stuff in my inventory, but I find myself collecting more and more. I'll get to it next weekend. Oh wait, I just joined the weekend ruiner group and now have dozens of new photo sets to add to the clutter and suck up all of my extra time to enhance my creativity in photo shoots.

• Like 3

I keep all the sizes. I don't use a mesh body yet only got round to demoing a couple of bodies so far, as a classic user i find (with alpha) a mesh body size can fit better than a classic size if i am layering a long length mesh top with a mesh bottom i will invariably need to wear a smaller size mesh than i'd normally wear on my bottom half to avoid clipping and clashing

I delete all but Lara to keep my inventory down -- at least that's my plan.  I sometimes find things that I was in a hurry and keep. If I am a GOOD girl I also delete all the scripts and notecards and things that I will never need.  If it is something I REALLY love (and I do delete a lot of things after blogging them) I keep a copy of the original in my save folder for that year.   I rarely see classic fit garments on the brands that I feature but now and then the classic might fit better than the "Lara" (not all designers that tag have the developer kit it seems) so I of course keep that one :D.   

• Moderators

Hi all!

One thing you can do to wrangle inventory, is as Chic Aeon says, drop the extra items into specific sub-folders and then you can always box that folder up.  This will let you keep items, but also keep them separate as not active inventory items, in the event that you ever really do need the content in the future. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Same. I only use my Maitreya body although I have others. I figure if I ever want to swap those out it's easy enough to get the box redelivered.  

I also toss creator Landmarks. No need for them.

It's my common paractice to delete everything what isn't for Maitreya body (which I'm always wearing). In some rare occasions, when an item has cost a lot, I keep the original package as a backup.

Note: Deleting the items does not remove them from the inventory, delete just moves them to the trash folder. To permanently delete the items from the inventory they must be purged from the trash folder. When shopping a lot and deleting things the trash folder grows amazingly fast, so it's better to purge it regurlarly.

When I look at all that I bought 2 years ago, most of it can not compete with new products coming out now.  Every few months I purge things I know I'll never wear.  Standard size only?  Toss it. 

If I ever get another body I'll just buy it new clothes.  I wouldn't want to cover it up with these old rags ... :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Standard size only?  Toss it.

I've actually picked up a few cheapies in standard sizes only  that work with lots of alpha use.  Granted, those outfits are always destined as single-wear-and-toss outfits, but some are quite cute.

On 10/13/2017 at 2:40 PM, Coby Foden said:

It's my common paractice to delete everything what isn't for Maitreya body (which I'm always wearing). In some rare occasions, when an item has cost a lot, I keep the original package as a backup.

Note: Deleting the items does not remove them from the inventory, delete just moves them to the trash folder. To permanently delete the items from the inventory they must be purged from the trash folder. When shopping a lot and deleting things the trash folder grows amazingly fast, so it's better to purge it regurlarly.

Oh yeah, I've purged my trash quite a bit :) 

On 10/13/2017 at 3:54 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

When I look at all that I bought 2 years ago, most of it can not compete with new products coming out now.  Every few months I purge things I know I'll never wear.  Standard size only?  Toss it. 

If I ever get another body I'll just buy it new clothes.  I wouldn't want to cover it up with these old rags ... :D

You're right, the old designs just can't compete. I do wear my SL body for modeling, but I'm only wearing that store's products so I guess they are the only items I should keep the standard sizes for (though not much of it is mesh). 

On 10/12/2017 at 12:55 PM, Dakota Linden said:

Hi all!

One thing you can do to wrangle inventory, is as Chic Aeon says, drop the extra items into specific sub-folders and then you can always box that folder up.  This will let you keep items, but also keep them separate as not active inventory items, in the event that you ever really do need the content in the future. 

I didn't know you could turn a folder into a box. I'll have to look that up. 

I just want to say thank you everyone for your input, I'm pretty sure I'm going to toss the alternate fits for other bodies of the items that are not my absolute faves, and just keep the ones for those outfits I seem to keep wearing. This should help chisel away at some of my inventory (only at 12.5k right now, but to me that's still a lot haha)

9 hours ago, Olyvya Constantine said:

I didn't know you could turn a folder into a box. I'll have to look that up. 

It is not a one stop process but it is easy.

Res a new box on the ground and rename it to something useful.  In the edit window, open the Contents tab.  Drag and drop everything from the sub-folder to the contents. Check that everything moved over, then delete the objects from your inventory.  Take the box and your done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

It is not a one stop process but it is easy.

Res a new box on the ground and rename it to something useful.  In the edit window, open the Contents tab.  Drag and drop everything from the sub-folder to the contents. Check that everything moved over, then delete the objects from your inventory.  Take the box and your done.

Thanks Rhonda! I was going to try that and didn't see a built in way to do it in Firestorm, but it seems easy enough!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.