Tar Garnburg

Abused by members of Linden Labs?

Question

I was asked by someone if its Illegal to be banned by an Linden Labs member of the company. Supposedly, someone in game wants to block the Linden Labs members who is part of family because of drama that he or she doesn't want to be deal with. 

Please let me know. Thanks

12 answers to this question

• People who work for Linden Lab all have the last name "Linden" in their user names, for example, "Kristen Linden"
  • Linden Lab employees can certainly ban you.  However, they won't do it out of spite.  They will only ban you for a violation of the Terms of Service.
  • Linden Lab employees do not roleplay or join "families" in SL while conducting their official duties.  Some of them may have alternate accounts ("alts") for participation in SL while off-duty.
  • You can try to ban a Linden from land you own, but it cannot be done.  They have access to "god mode" and can override anything your puny powers can do.
  • Anyone pretending to be a Linden who is NOT an LL employee may be Abuse Reported for impersonating a Linden.  They will be banned from SL.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hello Tar,

As a Linden Lab employee, I have access to more information, and I believe that I understand your question a little bit more.

1. A Linden Lab employee will NEVER ban a user for a personal dispute with another user unless that dispute violates the Terms of Service

2. Some users like to tell others that they will have Linden Lab ban them or terminate their account because of something that was done.  Unless that activity violates the Terms of Service, the account will not be suspended or banned/terminated. 

3. If a user claims that they work for Linden Lab and they do not have "Linden" as their last name, like mine, Dakota Linden, or as Lindall said, Kristen Linden, then they do not work for Linden Lab. 

4. If a user tries to claim that they work for Linden Lab, or can have someone from Linden Lab ban/terminate an account, please file an Abuse Report against the person and include a copy of the chat log that shows what they said about working for, or having someone from, Linden Lab ban another user.  Linden Lab takes these comments and threats very seriously.

5. You can block/mute any who is bothering or harassing you in world and they will be unable to send you messages.  If the other user is standing near you, right click on their avatar and choose "block" from the listed options. 

If the person sent you an IM, right click on their name in the IM window and choose one, or both, of the block options.

This will prevent them from contacting you again unless you send them a message or unblock them.

• Like 2

I'm sorry.  I have re-read your question several times and cannot make sense of it.  Who wants to ban whom?  And which Linden Lab member of what family are you talking about?  Lab employees are not part of any "family " in world, as far as I am aware. 

If your basic question is whether Linden Lab can ban you for something, the answer is certainly yes.  All you have to do is make a serious violation of the TOS and you will be toast.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Tar Garnburg said:

I was asked by someone if its Illegal to be banned by an Linden Labs member of the company.

LL can ban if the offender gives the Lab just cause, such as committing major ToS violations. So no, it's not illegal, per se. You agreed to the ToS when you or anyone else signed up for Second Life.

52 minutes ago, Tar Garnburg said:

Supposedly, someone in game wants to block the Linden Labs members who is part of family because of drama that he or she doesn't want to be deal with. 

Are these members claiming to be Lindens? Do they show "Linden" in their display name? If either is the situation, that by itself is a banning offense to Linden Lab. NO ONE can claim to be a Linden except those truly employed by Linden Lab.

I agree with Rolig. I have AR'ed once, a person claiming to be from LL.

45 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Lab employees are not part of any "family " in world, as far as I am aware. 

Just AR these individuals, indicare they claim to be LL employees and see who gets the boot first.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Linden Lab employees can certainly ban you.  However, they won't do it out of spite.  They will only ban you for a violation of the Terms of Service.

And banning is such a serious punishment that it will never be done by an individual Linden and never without a careful review of the circumstances.

If you have a date/time that "Drama Linden" disclosed they work for SL please put that in an abuse report.

Otherwise, mute, and ban them from the family land.

The drama buzzing about this sort of person (the sort who claims they/their dad is a Linden) isn't worth losing any sleep over.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

3. If a user claims that they work for Linden Lab and they do not have "Linden" as their last name, like mine, Dakota Linden, or as Lindall said, Kristen Linden, then they do not work for Linden Lab.

Just a minor correction there for the sake of completeness. There are also some Linden Lab officials in-world with "Mole" as their last name and, I may be wrong but I believe you may come across a "Scout" every now and then too. What Dakota wrote about the Lindens applies to them too of course.

Oh, and speaking of names, it is Linden Lab without the s. ;)

27 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

There are also some Linden Lab officials in-world with "Mole" as their last name

Moles work for Linden Lab as contractors and do not have the power to ban anyone.  They are lovable, mild-mannered creatures who create, test, and maintain Lab-owned properties in world.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Moles work for Linden Lab as contractors and do not have the power to ban anyone.

Yes but that's essentially what Dakota said about Lindens, wasn't it? They don't ban anybody. ^_^

21 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

They are lovable, mild-mannered creatures

We need a Hug a Mole week in SL!

I remember the good old days, when we could summon a real Linden in-world and get them to ban a griefer on the spot!

Those were good times!

• Like 1

Hello ChinRey,

Only people you see in world that have an actual Linden last name are full on Linden Lab employees, with elevated powers (god mode), that work on Second Life. (Sansar may be different and use a different naming scheme).

Moles and others may work with Linden Lab in specific capacities, but they have limited powers.

Edited by Dakota Linden
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1