Racist 'Bots' Impersonating Me

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

27 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

This has all been explained before and he refuses to listen to anything and anyone that dares to disagree or show him the reality of the tech.

Check the other threads... Apparently we 'techie types' are all pro-griefer 'commies'  who are completely incapable of seeing 'common sense'...

xD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Check the other threads... Apparently we 'techie types' are all pro-griefer 'commies'  who are completely incapable of seeing 'common sense'...

xD

Oh I'm well aware of his opinion regarding anyone with even a passing knowledge of technology. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2017 at 7:55 AM, anna2358 said:

It says that MAC addresses don't persist beyond the local network, and that is why they can't be used to filter users.

Yes, however there's nothing to prevent a client from reading the MAC address and forwarding it or using it as part of a seed in a hashing algorithm for the purposes of authentication for example.  In otherwords, while the MAC address is only used as a layer 2 entity for the purposes of data traffic, there's no reason why the SL client wouldn't/couldn't send it to LL servers as a method of device fingerprinting.

However, given that the client is open source, it would be completely pointless bothering to do so since any mal actors would have full access to any such workarounds, even if it weren't trivial to change local MAC address anyway!

The above is not for the anna's benefit but a general one to point out that the MAC address *can* be used to filter, given other controls and expectations are met and unchangeable.  Having said that, systems intending to do this sort of thing won't just do MAC address but collect a much wider set of device attributes and use that as a device fingerprint.

On 10/18/2017 at 4:36 AM, Bradford Mint said:

Wait...you believe that Edward Snowden's revelations are a hoax?

Snowden's claims that the government "spies on everyone" and "Clapper lied" is a hysterical hypothesis. Capacity is not action. The government doesn't spy on "everyone". It spies on those for whom it has probably cause to suspect crime or espionage on behalf of a hostile power. Clapper told the truth when asked if the government "spied on everyone". It's capacity to do so isn't the same thing as actually doing so. 

AND collecting metadata passively, and comparing it to known criminal suspects' metadata to track them is not a harm to you and not spying on you. It is machine-read passive review to match, not spying on you in real time. An enormous amount of hysterical nonsense has come out of the whole Greenwald/Poitras/Snowden thing, yes. I've written a book on the subject.

32 minutes ago, Bradford Mint said:

I'll look for it in the novels section for that is where it would belong.

it's not difficult

1 something bad happens to me all the time

2 you all don't understand me

3 no i don't want your help i want only LL do it

4 oh It's solved

5 you all don't understand me

6 the end

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Snowden's claims that the government "spies on everyone" and "Clapper lied" is a hysterical hypothesis. Capacity is not action. The government doesn't spy on "everyone". It spies on those for whom it has probably cause to suspect crime or espionage on behalf of a hostile power. Clapper told the truth when asked if the government "spied on everyone". It's capacity to do so isn't the same thing as actually doing so. 

AND collecting metadata passively, and comparing it to known criminal suspects' metadata to track them is not a harm to you and not spying on you. It is machine-read passive review to match, not spying on you in real time. An enormous amount of hysterical nonsense has come out of the whole Greenwald/Poitras/Snowden thing, yes. I've written a book on the subject.

I'm shocked that such things are being randomly posted on unrelated posts.  SHOCKED, I tell you!:ph34r:

• Haha 3

Until this very day I never understood why Linden Labs didn't implement a small fee for multiple avi's . Let's say the first 5 for 10 Dollar,  next 5 for 20 dollar etc.  I am pretty sure that this easy measure would take out most of the trolls and griefers.  Aside from all technical stuff above it's the reason why so much trolling is going on.  LL makes it too easy and , on top of that, cost free to enroll with too many accounts.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Surge Allen said:

Until this very day I never understood why Linden Labs didn't implement a small fee for multiple avi's . Let's say the first 5 for 10 Dollar,  next 5 for 20 dollar etc.  I am pretty sure that this easy measure would take out most of the trolls and griefers.

Ummm...

this may surpise you but I think most of the griefers and trolls are sneaky enough they don't tell Linden Lab that their new account is an alt... :P

• Like 3

As well as what ChinReyt said, LL did charge for additional accounts, but they found it better not to charge for them. I don't know why they found it better, but they stopped charging for them. I still have a paid-for additional account. I wonder if I could get a refund :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

I know that they won't tell.  Point is that after avi s are being banned they will have to keep buying new accounts.  They won't invest that money as the cost will go up . The last thing they want is to invest money.  This is IMO a simple way to disencourege them to create 20 + accounts.  Other games do this,  just trying to understand why linden isnt

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Surge Allen said:

Until this very day I never understood why Linden Labs didn't implement a small fee for multiple avi's .

Long ago there was a set up fee for each avatar.  You are not the first to suggest that free accounts was a bad idea. 

I'm no Linden and have no access to the information, but imagine how many accounts are created in a year that never log on again.  Now multiply that by $4.95.

Basic account with L$500 for a five dollar setup fee.  That's my proposal, anyway.  Not that I have a dog in this fight or anything so either way, I'm OK.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

but imagine how many accounts are created in a year that never log on again.

I've heard somebody mention 9,000 new accounts a day which means more than 3 millions a year. I have no idea where that number comes from or how reliable it is though.

There are three obvious problems with a general account creation fee: very few people are willing to buy before they try, many are reluctant to give LL their payment information and many don't have access to a payment method accepted by LL.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 4

Think you nailed it Chinrey.  Although as linden is a commercial company they shouldn't care about people who don't want to bring money into the game.  You can try it for a month and then you have to pay a small sign up fee.  I am sure if you force people to pay a small fee and make it easy to do so,  the griefers and trolls will be gone soon.  No pay,  no access to sl.

Just out of curiosity I will open a case with them to see what their statement is. 

• Haha 1

Mkay ...

Linden Lab already had its users pay for their accounts at one point, trial included. They still had griefers.

Since you decided to try and use other games as an example to bolster your opinion; There are also plenty of free to play games out there that simply do not have the same issue with griefers that some here in SL seem to have.

Furthermore there are a few SL content creators that make decent enough products these days that would not have even bothered with SL if they had had to pay to even get in on a regular basis.

Keep harping on it if you'd like, poke the Lindens even. The ship already sailed on June 6th 2006 and hasn't even been considered for a recall to port in the eleven years since.

Edited by Solar Legion

22 minutes ago, Surge Allen said:

Think you nailed it Chinrey.  Although as linden is a commercial company they shouldn't care about people who don't want to bring money into the game.  You can try it for a month and then you have to pay a small sign up fee.  I am sure if you force people to pay a small fee and make it easy to do so,  the griefers and trolls will be gone soon.  No pay,  no access to sl.

Just out of curiosity I will open a case with them to see what their statement is. 

I'd say the lifespan of the average griefing avatar is less than a week. How will "trying for a month" stop them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Surge Allen said:

they shouldn't care about people who don't want to bring money into the game

I don't bring money into the game. When I'm healthy enough to manage, I make content which fills a particular niche and encourages other people to bring money into this virtual world.

How much I was able to do without bringing money in played a significant role in getting me well enough hooked that I started creating content.

I don't take money out either, mind you. Everything I earn stays inworld and is recycled to other creators.

Perhaps you don't see value in that Surge. I do.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.