Sign in to follow this  
Coventina Dalgleish

Observing tje progression of SL

I have been here since early 2005 in my original avatar and have also played extensively in Skyrim this has to do with the graphics engines. Physics 

is so much more advanced in Skyrim verses  second life why is that  second life is wanting in the total representation of the physics world and there is

no reason for this since physics is a secondary exhibit and requires no user interface. SkyRim was introduced in 2011 and still remains one of the most enjoyable

single player games. Second Life was introduced in 2003 and seems to have failed to embrace the physics advancements in the realm of pixel games. I see many of the same names who created for Skyrim here  who also create products but they fail to achieve the presentation they have exhibited in Skyrim. Perhaps it is time to upgrade the physics engine to something more acceptable to the current format or just admit this is just the best 3D rendition game created , except a better updated physics engine would  insure the continuation of one of the best creative concepts ever envisioned. I do enjoy creating nasty toys here but with a better physics engine this format will never die as it is one of the finest creations for 3D I Have  ever enjoyed. Please give us 2017 Tech for our creations

I will also say Skyrim takes a lot of tech Knowledge to make work seamlessly but when properly managed it is a visual emancipation now I know this is beyond mand generic sl players but we have a base of creative people who can make this work skyrim and it's additions require a lot of massage to make them work as a unit but it it is not beyond even the most basic users of this system and the result is certainly worth the effort

I will also say Skyrim takes a lot of tech Knowledge to make work seamlessly but when properly managed it is a visual emancipation now I know this is beyond mand generic sl players but we have a base of creative people who can make this work skyrim and it's additions require a lot of massage to make them work as a unit but it it is not beyond even the most basic users of this system and the result is certainly worth the effort

As I said earlier I have seen many of the names I rec from SkyRim here as content creators and I am sure they  have not enjoyed this  convoluted presentation of the 3D universe if I am wrong go take a look and you will find many common names there this adventure, while great, lacks the technical edge other adventures do

38 minutes ago, Coventina Dalgleish said:

I have been here since early 2005 in my original avatar and have also played extensively in Skyrim

so after all this time you come to say you like Skyrim, and still don't know how and why SL is what it is.

• Like 7

Skyrim uses premade/static content and has never had to undergo a physics engine upgrade. Second Life on the other hand has no such luxuries. If you were truly here since two thousand five then you would remember that Second Life did indeed undergo an upgrade to the physics engine from the original Havok to Havok 4 at one point and that the resulting upgrade broke quite a bit of content much of which was never fixed such as the ability to use a fully vertical prim surface as a ladder.

Doing even a cursory search also shows that there have been a few additional Havok upgrades since the upgrade to version 4 with the current version being 2011.2.

If you want the sort of experience you'd get out of a video game then I suggest you stick to them instead.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Coventina Dalgleish said:

skyrim and it's additions require a lot of massage to make them work

Yes, me too. I usually require a lot of massages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I think it's interesting to see a complaint about SL physics without a single specific example of what exactly you would like to see improved.  Low-information post *vote-down*

• Like 2

SL's implementation of physics seems pretty darn good, even modeling the uncertainty of quantum mechanics. Some argue they've overdone the uncertainty, but I think that gives SL its charm.

• Haha 2

When a tree falls in a forest in Skyrim, it only falls for you. When a tree falls in a forest in SL, it falls for everyone withing rendering range, and might even make a sound. It falls in the servers, and the servers then tell the viewers of everyone around that it's falling. It's the uncertainty of the way physics work in SL (a desirable trait) that requires they be a server-side effect, so that everyone sees the same thing. The latency involved in this process is what gives falling SL trees, or anvils, or Karmann Ghias, their charm.

In Skyrim, when the tree falls, everything is optimized and happens locally, without the requirement of networked information zipping back and forth. The latency is very low, things happen very smoothly and seamlessly.

51 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

When a tree falls in a forest in Skyrim, it only falls for you. When a tree falls in a forest in SL, it falls for everyone withing rendering range, and might even make a sound. It falls in the servers, and the servers then tell the viewers of everyone around that it's falling. It's the uncertainty of the way physics work in SL (a desirable trait) that requires they be a server-side effect, so that everyone sees the same thing. The latency involved in this process is what gives falling SL trees, or anvils, or Karmann Ghias, their charm.

In Skyrim, when the tree falls, everything is optimized and happens locally, without the requirement of networked information zipping back and forth. The latency is very low, things happen very smoothly and seamlessly.

I don't see the link between graphic card and network? From what I know, my internet latency depends on my provider, not on my graphic card.

Why are we comparing SL to Skyrim? Theyre two incredibly different games that work in very different ways. And its not like Skyrim is the pinnacle of modern gaming technology, its based on an old engine where the supposedly great physics interactions are actually incredibly sub par. 

What does SL need specifically to make it any better. All I see here is complaining and a poorly thought out comparison to an RPG from 2011.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

If you were truly here since two thousand five then you would remember that Second Life did indeed undergo an upgrade to the physics engine from the original Havok to Havok 4 at one point

A bit off topic but didn't SL use ODE at first?

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

A bit off topic but didn't SL use ODE at first?

OpenSimulator uses ODE but so far as I can recall and as much as I have dug at it, Second Life has only ever used Havok.

Linden World - the precursor/prototype for Second Life - may have used ODE though.

13 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

SL's implementation of physics seems pretty darn good, even modeling the uncertainty of quantum mechanics. Some argue they've overdone the uncertainty, but I think that gives SL its charm.

As a kitten, when it comes to matters of quantum anything :-

images.duckduckgo_com.png.275c0c464e6b5bfd43ce835f53fd33da.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1