Video card

nair85

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have an Intel Core i5-4460  cpu @ 3.20Ghz  ---8GB RAM---64 bit OS and a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960

When my avatar and my alt are together the lag increases and at times freezes the display.  Is this normal?

Or is there something I can do about it?

Please advise me quick.

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, nair85 said:

I have an Intel Core i5-4460  cpu @ 3.20Ghz  ---8GB RAM---64 bit OS and a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960

When my avatar and my alt are together the lag increases and at times freezes the display.  Is this normal?

Or is there something I can do about it?

Please advise me quick.

quick??...not sure you know, but help here is offered by users like you, so be patient, this isnt LL answering, nor a professional helpdesk.

If you need that, (thats only for real techinical issues, not for running two accounts) contact support by the support portal, or live chat if you'r premium

but back to your question, yes it is totally normal for a maching to start lagging as sirup/chewing gum, when using multiple viewers.

You can use two machines, or a very powerfull one. Yours has moderate normal hardware, nothing really wrong, but also no miracles to expect from it.

You could try use a lightweight viewer as radegast or another 3rd party viewer to see if performance gets better.

In general you can say your machine isn't made for two full viewers to run the same time. If you keep doing it, you'll most likely fry your graphics or even MB sooner or later.

Your CPU and video card are not super duper, but they aren't horrid either - at least not compared to what many folks are running SL on.  Based on past experience, I'd say that only having 8 GB of memory is hurting a lot when it comes to running 2 viewers - especially if you have anything else running on the computer at the same time.  I'd definitely recommend trying a lighter weight viewer for those times when you want to run two at once -- and/or add more memory to your computer.

Its not an issue with your hardware, its just a problem caused by using multiple viewers. I get the same thing sometimes, lags out my whole PC but most of the time it runs smoothly, and im on a mere Athlon 5350 and a 750ti.

Your computer is fine for SL, dont stress it.

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Based on past experience, I'd say that only having 8 GB of memory is hurting a lot when it comes to running 2 viewers

I would disagree with this, unless youre in some incredibly taxing sim, most of the time on Windows 8.1 im only using 900mb to 1.5gb on my viewer. And thats even for more laggy sims like shopping centers or clubs. On linux you can drop that down to 500mb-1gb or even 300mb in some spaces.

When I need to log 2 accounts in at once for building purposes and positioning animations, I log an alt in on my tablet with Lumyia.    I collared them both my alts  so its pretty easy to get them to do what I need that way ;)  Saves the stress of having 2 viewers logged in on the laptop. Although, as long as I am not in a laggy sim. the laptop is fine with 2 instances of firestorm running

1 hour ago, cykarushb said:

I would disagree with this, unless youre in some incredibly taxing sim, most of the time on Windows 8.1 im only using 900mb to 1.5gb on my viewer. And thats even for more laggy sims like shopping centers or clubs. On linux you can drop that down to 500mb-1gb or even 300mb in some spaces.

I use the Firestorm viewer and it usually uses around 1.5-2.0 gb of memory after I've been on for a few hours.  Load up two of those viewers - that's coming close to 4 gb of memory.  Add in the OS and if there are other things running - (in my case multiple browsers with multiple tabs each, picture editing software, mail client, and a few other misc apps) - and that 8gb can get chewed up quickly.

I'm not one to be inconvenienced with having to shut down those other things, so I opted to bump memory and it did help a lot - at least in my situation. I can now run 3 viewers without having any issues at all.  Everyone's computer setup, internet capabilities, and usage is different so everyone will get different mileage out of different suggestions.  Not to mention that some have different performance expectations in SL.

I'd also lean towards "not enough RAM" ... though you can lessen the stress on your GPU if you assign a rendering profile with very low settings on your second account.

On the graphics preset page, you can preconfigure and save different presets, so later on, you can switch them easily via a dropdown menu.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I use the Firestorm viewer and it usually uses around 1.5-2.0 gb of memory after I've been on for a few hours. 

Ah alright then, that makes sense on firestorm. Ive heard from other FS users that their ram usage is much higher.

You are likely either bandwidth limited or memory limited.

Use the free app Memory History to see if memory is bottlenecking you. It will show you which programs are using memory and how much.

You can use the Win10 Resource Monitor to see if you are maxing out your connection. SpeedTest.net can be used to verify your connection is as the ISP advertises it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.