Sign in to follow this  
Perrie Juran

Are You Willing To Lose Some Content For A Better Second Life?

I'm sorry someone called you names. If things get that heated people should step back a while.

I don't want to lose content. I think fewer things should be scripted, but what about places like amusement parks that have to have lots of scripted things? 

Isn't there a better way? Like buying better servers?

I'd rather keep putting up with lag than see Second Life become a bunch of empty fields or just things to look at. I like to DO things in Second Life.

Things like hair don't need to be scripted, though. (It's to defeat copybotting but I don't think it does. I prefer modify hair so you can tweak just that one tendril.)

I don't know why your boots had a glow script when objects can glow by texture. So some scripts should be rethought by their product creators.

I don't know how to script,  but as someone who often purchases things that contain scripts - I can say that the resize script is often a pain (for me). 

I have an easier time if the item is editable.  I realize some people do not want to make their items that way,  but it would not bother me if they did without some of the size scripts (as long as you can edit the size).

2 cents from the peanut gallery :smileywink:

As a content creator, it's been a sort of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

Back when the "script in every prim" was the norm, I was doing that. My script was good (bought it from a private scripter who also does a friend's work), but it is too much to use now. My major problem back then was that people would TRY to edit mod items without making a copy, and they'd break them. I spent WAY more time supporting this, and had a LOT less time for design. It's not that I don't want to help my customers (if I receive your message, you WILL get a response from me--just understand sometimes SL fails to deliver messages...try again if you don't hear back). It's that I was losing out on time making new things for folks to enjoy.

I'm now migrating back to copy/mod WITH single-script deletable (with the script, not just select->Delete) resizer. But that takes time. Most items I offer have at least 5 variations (typically between 8-10).

I actually prefer copy/mod myself BUT I am also tech-savvy (it's been my livelihood for 14 years now). It's not me saying "Oh, I'm awesome and everyone else is stupid," it's just that, if I notice a large majority of customers having trouble and getting upset because they're only allowed to manually edit, I want to do something about it. Not everyone has my professional background, so I like to take that into consideration.

I understand the damned if you do, damned if you don't problem.

In RL I'm a wash my hair and run kind of guy.  I don't take the time to make sure every lock is in place.

In SL, we'd rather be able to put an item on and go and not have to spend an hour tweaking prim by prim.  And for nOObs that can be especially tedious to do.  Also, people fail to read the owners manual.

I was recently gifted with some items that are the first time I've had anything with resize scripts.  And they are not working for me.  The scripts are not moving the prims in the right direction in order for the item to fit my shape.  I have purchased similar items in the past and never had trouble fitting them by working with individual prims.  The resize scripts don't do what I need to have the item fit. I was planning on posting a thread about this problem.  Just havn't got to it yet.

Some people have suggested that LL could ameliate some of the problem by getting more powerful servers, faster CPU's, more RAM, etc, etc.  But this would only help if LL imposed restrictions.  Otherwise people who just create content that ate up the extra resources.

Personally I don't want to lose any content.  But weighed against the long term benefits might it be worth it?

The problem you mentioned, with the prims not moving in the correct direction to fit your shape, that's actually the final reason I made the decision to move to a Copy/Mod model.

For a majority of people, the simple bigger/smaller thing works. BUT, even for me, with stuff I've bought from others, it doesn't always. In most cases, while I've been selling as Copy+Resize, I have given a mod version to those that ask.

I have taught some n00bs how to edit manually. Sometimes, they listen well. Other times, well, they don't. People get panicky when doing something new in the tech world for some reason I don't understand. So if something isn't 50-feet high and flashing, they don't see it and start clicking the wrong stuff or crying that they don't get it, then start blaming me for making a product that didn't fit their avatar exactly. Ah, life.

Mila Edelman wrote:

I have taught some n00bs how to edit manually. Sometimes, they listen well. Other times, well, they don't. People get panicky when doing something new in the tech world for some reason I don't understand. So if something isn't 50-feet high and flashing, they don't see it and start clicking the wrong stuff or crying that they don't get it, then start blaming me for making a product that didn't fit their avatar exactly. Ah, life.

If there is any one time that I find voice useful it is when teaching people basic editing.  I also keep a collection of screen shots of the edit windows with the appropriate info marked.

First thing I do when teaching is have them create a basic cube and show them the functions on that.  That helps alleviate the fear of messing up their purchase.  Or I'll give them a cruddy full perm freebie to experiment on first.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Mila Edelman wrote:

If there is any one time that I find voice useful it is when teaching people basic editing.  I also keep a collection of screen shots of the edit windows with the appropriate info marked.

First thing I do when teaching is have them create a basic cube and show them the functions on that.  That helps alleviate the fear of messing up their purchase.  Or I'll give them a cruddy full perm freebie to experiment on first.

Unfortunately, when it's a tech-panicky person, they sometimes freak out over even getting voice to work properly, if they have a mic at all. I've dealt with all levels in this. Some are just more trying on the patience than others. :) Sadly, as well, with tech-panicky people, screenshots don't always help much. They get so scared that they don't listen to half of what you say, point to or otherwise indicate.

That makes sense.  I'm not a content creator,  so I have no inside knowledge of the challenges.  :-)  Thanks for giving good customer service,  and I can certainly understand why you would want to limit the necessity for doing so - since it can be very time consuming. 

On that note,  I have gotten better at using the resize scripts - but they are not as easy for me to use than the edit.  Either way, I work with whatever comes with the item I purchase - to the best of my ability.  I've never asked a creator for help to make something fit.  :smileywink:

*_* WHAT!?

I would never drop my scripts just to help lower lag. I love my scripts and they are there on my body for a reason xD

I mean sure, I would change if someone asked me to, but I wouldnt do it out of courtesy.

Kolby Nissondorf wrote:

*_* WHAT!?

I would never drop my scripts just to help lower lag. I love my scripts and they are there on my body for a reason
xD

I mean sure, I would change if someone asked me to, but I wouldnt do it out of courtesy.

Ahhh .. so YOU'RE the guy that stops at the traffic light halfway between the straight ahead lane and the turn lane .. thus blocking anyone that wants to turn on a red light from doing so.

(Where oh where is my bazooka when I need it?) LOL

Well, you're welcome. As much as I do love teaching people, it can be extremely time-consuming. I need sleep, and to create new stuff (btw, my new graphics-beast gaming and 3-D work computer will be done between tomorrow and next Thursday, so I can get back to creating--the Alienware is officially retiring from full service!).

Hehe, I still remember when resize scripts were basically never heard of. You were kind of on your own for editing your copy/mod stuff. I can recall asking a friend how to edit stuff, and searching online for tutorials, but I cannot ever recall asking the shopowner to teach me to edit. I think that must be relatively new. Nobody I knew back in the day ever did it. It's not that I mind being asked, per se, just, I think newer users are tending towards not learning to do stuff on their own.

Could be a sign of the newer generation coming in. Maybe the new viewer gives more of an impression of "ease" and less of "do it yourself," so folks are less inclined to seek answers on their own. Not sure, but would be curious to know.

Perhaps alot of the problems can be fixed with a few simple solutions.

Alow for a free way to remove scripts including color and texture scripts so a single ightem can be sold that spawns many lovely combinations when people copy the origonal.

I've had to stop wearing my favorate elf ears because they are no co py no edit and are full of scripts.

Kazimira McConnell wrote:

Perhaps alot of the problems can be fixed with a few simple solutions.

Alow for a free way to remove scripts including color and texture scripts so a single ightem can be sold that spawns many lovely combinations when people copy the origonal.

I've had to stop wearing my favorate elf ears because they are no co py no edit and are full of scripts.

there is a jira for that...

If the items spawned in the inventory, that'd be cool. I could write a script to do that easily. But the items that people attach to themselves often have higher prim counts than a user would get with most low-level land rentals (which I realize is a problem in and of itself). So if they rezzed on the ground right now, it could be problematic. As the creator, though, I can create a script to generate all of the versions a user would want, and include THOSE in the final boxes. Since I'm a programmer, though, I tend to just write those things myself. I don't know if that exists on the market anywhere.

I did combat this through one product of mine. You get 9 ribbon colors on the hat's brim. Instead of a color-changer, I just gave them 9 hat/hair sets.

Phoenix viewer does have a "remove all scripts" option, which I liked. It was faster than the removal system included in my older resizer (the old one uses a script per prim, while the new one is a single script). I don't know if the standard Viewer 2.0 does. Don't even have it on this machine as of right now.