Logging into Google's API

Vindictii

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2379 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a website that uses Google's authentication API to allow users to login with their Google account. I want to be able to login to the website from within SL using media on a prim. The rest of the media (the website) loads fine, but when I click Google's sign in button it fails to open Google's sign in page. From a normal browser (outside of SL) Google's sign in button opens a popup - could this be the issue or does SL block such connections? 

Thanks!

The Google sign in works fine when using the viewer's internal web browser - the sign in page opens a secondary internal browser window or opens in the external browser, depending on preference settings.
I can confirm the sign in page fails to open on Firestorm 5.0.7 & LL viewer Second Life 5.0.7.328060 (Second Life Release).
The sign in page also fails to open using the LL Alex Ivy RC viewer: Second Life Release 5.1.0.508209 (64bit), which uses a more up to date version of CEF.

I also tested using an old viewer build which still used Webkit instead of CEF & it didn't work either.

I don't know if this is a bug that should be fixed in the viewers or not.
One of the Firestorm developers thinks this may be the problem: https://github.com/nraboy/ng-cordova-oauth/issues/283

Actually (as the aforementioned dev) reading your thread above it may well be that you are already using an alternative to OAuth. 

There is some information in https://auth0.com/blog/google-blocks-oauth-requests-from-embedded-browsers/ regarding alternatives. Are you getting an error code at all?

I suggested whirly test another site that used google federated authentication and as per her note that worked which seems to suggest that (whether OAuth or not) this issue is likely to be implementation specific. I am not a web developer so I cannot give much guidance but if you are able to confirm that you are using one of the supported methods and give a little more details we can use that to guide further investigation.

Thanks guys.

The problem does seem to be because prim's are treated as 'embedded browsers'. This explains both the login issues and some other issues stemming from certain event handlers (window.onload and the like - anything that waits for the document/window to load as opposed to an element).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2379 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.