CadenzaInVivace

How NOT to organize a shopping sim

Pretty sure most people already heard about the current shopping sim "black fair". It's a prime example of how NOT to organize an event.

• Only one sim, with no extras for cam shopping, something that's pretty much a basic requirement for popular events like this. This is why the experience at Collabora8 is 10x less frustrating. You can easily get in on day 1,  disable avatar rendering, get your shopping done, everyone's happy
  • Somehow pick a sim with only a 30-avatar limit (not sure if this is set by Lindens or by sim owner, either way it's stupid)
  • Making it completely impossible to get in within the first 3 days. Yes I've actually had my auto-tp script active for HOURS at a time, and still can't get in, that's how crowded it is. Imagine how frustrating it is for people who don't have (or never heard of) an auto-tp script

You might say "have some more patience", but think about it, does it sound realistic for people in a virtual sim to have the patience to wait a week to get into some shopping sim? We're not talking about lining up to get the frickin iPhone X (even that didn't require waiting in line for 3 days), we're talking about just getting into some sim to buy some pixels in some online game. It's completely ridiculous. Long story short, don't expect 95% of the people to have the patience to waste HOURS clicking away (or afking with auto-tp script) just to get the privilege of entering some sim. Most people won't even waste that much time to get free stuff, let alone this.

For anyone who hasn't heard of it, if you're frustrated at poorly organized shopping sims like this, use seraphimsl.com to do some window shopping without all the lag and waiting. They provide pictures of every item for sale in every event, so you don't have to waste time doing it inworld. No this is not an advertisement, just sharing what I've been using for years.

Edited by CadenzaInVivace
  • Thanks 1

I read this, remembered I hadn't gotten around to that one yet -- there are so many events these days - so I popped on my zero CI alpah and clicked the TP and was promptly there.  There are currently 38 avatars in the sim, so the limit must be higher than 30 - the Premium thing only gives a 10% bonus. Maybe I got in because of that Premium bonus (if a 35-limit, the math works) or maybe the limit really is 40.

Side note - Most of the time I actually do wait until about a week into an event.  Not so that it is easier to get in, but so that there are less people.  Even if I've made them invisible, they are still using sim resources, which can cause a bit of lag.  I don't care if I'm first to an event or first to get those super special items - as long as I get want I want before the event ends.

ETA - The website does not cover ALL events.  Earlier today I finished shopping at the Rock Your Rack event - a fundraiser for Cancer Awareness ( and pretty large too) - but there is no mention of that one on the website.  Granted it does seem to cover the vast majority of things, especially all the reoccuring ones, so thanks for that link.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Hopefully in the future we can all shop events from a HUD like Pocketgacha. No lines, no lag, and shop at your own convenience. If I am attending an event within the first week; other avatars are either de-rendered, or turned into jelly (great experience right?). So what exactly would I be missing out on if I did it via a HUD instead?

Seraphim also has a FREE HUD that you can use in-world that provides a direct TP to the event, a link to see what items are available at the event and a few other goodies. Highly recommended to use in conjunction with the website.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

ETA - The website does not cover ALL events.  Earlier today I finished shopping at the Rock Your Rack event - a fundraiser for Cancer Awareness ( and pretty large too) - but there is no mention of that one on the website.  Granted it does seem to cover the vast majority of things, especially all the reoccuring ones, so thanks for that link.

I am taking a guess here but maybe as it is a charity event. they didn't want to eat into profits by paying for advertising on seraphim.  

7 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I am taking a guess here but maybe as it is a charity event. they didn't want to eat into profits by paying for advertising on seraphim.  

Makes sense.  From reading the OP's statement about the website, I wasn't thinking along the lines that they were charging all of the  events & hunts to list them there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CadenzaInVivace said:

Yes I've actually had my auto-tp script active for HOURS at a time, and still can't get in, that's how crowded it is

I know it makes me a bad person but ... well, reserved parking is my favorite premium perk.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 10/10/2017 at 1:24 AM, Rhonda Huntress said:

I know it makes me a bad person but ... well, reserved parking is my favorite premium perk.

Nope, not at all a bad person. Think of it as a great reward for supporting the world with our monthly subscriptions :D

• Like 1

Those that don't "do" events don't understand that the VENDORS actually are paying the sim rent (and more than that in many cases) with the fees. So adding extra sims adds more to the fees -- again in most cases. Higher entrance amounts keep some creators from joining in -- perhaps the ones that you (the OP) would like to see there.  So it doesn't really solve a problem, it only shifts it. 

Seraphim is great. No arguments there and I use it often for blogging. BUT they take their photos a day earlier than opening in most cases and often there are lots of folks missing from their lists.  So not necessarily a representation of ALL that is available once the event opens. Not Seraphim's fault, it is the creators who for whatever reason seem to wait until the very last hours and beyond before setting up even when they have had up to a week before the event opens. It does boggle my mind. 

I suggest that if getting there the first day is THAT important then becoming Premium (about a buck a month if you pay yearly) is the best choice. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 2

On 10/9/2017 at 2:30 AM, CadenzaInVivace said:

You might say "have some more patience", but think about it, does it sound realistic for people in a virtual sim to have the patience to wait a week to get into some shopping sim?

It does to me.

There's a rule of thumb in RL architecture that if you've built to your maximum usage, you've probably over-built. Over-building means greatly increased running costs, even when it's not needed.

The money you want the organisers to spend so you can have it your way isn't virtual. So yeah, I do think it sounds more than realistic for consumers to have a bit of patience to get their pixels.

Meanwhile, there's a very easy and straightforward solution to the problem of HOURS of running an auto-tp script. Just wait till it's quieter. Remember, it's only pixels. Your question works better when it's reversed. Does it really make sense to demand the organisers increase their costs substantially so you don't have to wait a few days?

• Like 5