MaxTux Wonder

Problem with baking normals

i've used a procedural texture to make marble more realistic, as you can see in the normal render i get a pretty good effect of the marble, and i like it, when i go to bake the singles normal maps i get a big pixellated effect . how i can resolve it?

attachment.php?attachmentid=500997&d=150attachment.php?attachmentid=500998&d=150

Only a guess here since I don't use this method or render engine -- but of similar issues you can bake to a LARGER texture plane and then reduce that in your graphics program. You can of course render at a higher value in Cycles but not sure how you can do that in Blender Render. Perhaps you know.  The other alternative would be to use the diffuse texture as a basis for the normal map using other software.  

Sorry. That's all I can think of :D

I have found baking normals from a texture to be extremely hit and miss. Some materials come out perfect, while others don't show at all or come out all grainy. The way I find to be 100% accurate is to make a copy of your mesh, subdivide a few times and then add a subdivision surface with a setting of 4-6 (simple subdivision, not Catmull Clark) and then add a displacement modifier with a greyscale version of your normal map as the displace texture. Tweak the settings accordingly (usually is a very low number for strength and height unless you want a mountain range) and then bake the detail onto the low poly mesh (selected to active). 

Edited by Sciuriadi