collisions

mansoor50

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all...

my fish tank has a top prim with the water texture.....

i make a fish jump up using KFM ...it "comes out of the water" and then dives back in.

i want to play a splash sound each time it crosses the water surface prim.

also.. i want to put the collision script in the water surface prim.....which will handle sounds for different types of fish.

1. if my fish obj is phantom or volumedetect AND the water surface prim is also voldetect - no collision.

2. if i make my fish obj physical, it fals to the bottom of the tank and stops rotating.

3. if fish phantom/voldtect and water surface is physical, there is a collision but the water prim gets "hit" and falls to the side

so i am wondering what setting i need to use so that i can detect collisions in the water surface prim

thanks

As the wiki says "Only a physical object will get collision events from colliding with a non-physical object" and KFM objects cannot be physical, so if you're dead-set on using collision-based events, you'll need to support a physical water surface prim at the top of the tank, perhaps with a big transparent non-physical prim for it to sit on.

But personally I'd avoid physics altogether and do it a different way: You're using KFM, so the trajectory timing is completely determined, so I'd figure out where in that path the splash is best timed, and trigger it from a timer started the same time the KFM starts.

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

But personally I'd avoid physics altogether and do it a different way: You're using KFM, so the trajectory timing is completely determined, so I'd figure out where in that path the splash is best timed, and trigger it from a timer started the same time the KFM starts.

i think this is a better idea.....will follow this advice...:)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.