Own Land Rule above TOS?

Aktahar Kawadias

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

24 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Aktahar Kawadias said:

This is not logical that the owner rule is above the TOS.

That would mean you can always bypass the TOS and this can not be wanted by LL.

That way every one can ignore any Ratings and do Adult Action on Generel Parcel,

cause the Person has it rented and can make his own rules on it. Thats not logical

I don't think you have read the TOS  specifically this explanation in bold that  Rolig gave you

TOS (Sect 3.4): "You may permit or deny other users to access your Virtual Land on terms determined by you. Any agreement you make with other users relating to use or access to your Virtual Land must be consistent with the Agreements, and no such agreement can abrogate, nullify, void or modify the Agreements."  If a landowner on Adult land wants to be more restrictive than the Maturity Ratings allow, that's fine, because she is not allowing people to do something that the TOS forbids. That landowner may not allow people under the RL age of 18 to enter, however, because the TOS specifically forbids G-rated people in Adult regions.

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 4

Lillith is absolutely right. Read the TOS (Sect 3.4): "You may permit or deny other users to access your Virtual Land on terms determined by you. Any agreement you make with other users relating to use or access to your Virtual Land must be consistent with the Agreements, and no such agreement can abrogate, nullify, void or modify the Agreements."  If a landowner on Adult land wants to be more restrictive than the Maturity Ratings allow, that's fine, because she is not allowing people to do something that the TOS forbids. That landowner may not allow people under the RL age of 18 to enter, however, because the TOS specifically forbids G-rated people in Adult regions.

• Like 4

That way every one can ignore any Ratings and do Adult Action on Generel Parcel,

cause the Person has it rented and can make his own rules on it. Thats not logical

2 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

You can try to abuse report the owner, if you think that you found a suitable complaint.

I wouldn't keep my hopes up, though...

It won't work.  The land owner is simply being more restrictive on the maturity rather than more permissive and the TOS allows for more restrictive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aktahar Kawadias said:

it is not bypassing the TOS, it's the opposite.. it's even more restictive,

I have a adult sim... but i don't allow public nudity on it, so in your words i break.. TOS.. i can assure you i don't

And LL will hardly have any probems with users that are more restrictive. Think they give a sigh when seeing people as you complaining about it.

Access to privat sims with stricter rules is not a right... but just a privilege given by the owners.

If you don't like that... stay away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aktahar Kawadias said:

It has been explained to you by Alwin, LittleMe, and Rolig, that residents are free to create rules that are more restrictive than the ToS. Restricting people to doing general things on an adult parcel is permitted. Allowing (which is the opposite of restricting) adult activity on general parcels is not permitted.

The rules, as explained to you, are logical.

Let's carry your misunderstanding into real life. Suppose I live in a city/state/country that allows public nudity, smoking, and open carrying of firearms. Must I allow guests in my home to run around naked, brandishing cigarettes and guns?

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Chasing commas around sentences.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Aktahar Kawadias said:

It is absolutly logical. The TOS is a set of hard rules. Like: You can't go further than that. For example: You can not run a brothel on an M rated sim, because that would mean going behond what the TOS allows. But of course, you can make rules, that restrict more than what the ToS does. In your words: Going below the ToS. Being stricter is not forbidden at all.

4 hours ago, Aktahar Kawadias said:

Where I live, the law says that anyone can carry a gun if he wants to, and anybody can smoke cigars.  That's the LAW. If you do either of those in MY house, though, I'll show you the door.  In MY house, the law is "No guns, no cigars."  Period. SL works exactly the same way. 

19 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Where I live, the law says that anyone can carry a gun if he wants to, and anybody can smoke cigars.  That's the LAW. If you do either of those in MY house, though, I'll show you the door.  In MY house, the law is "No guns, no cigars."  Period. SL works exactly the same way. 

Conversely you can't declare murder okay at your house :o

8 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Let's carry your misunderstanding into real life. Suppose I live in a city/state/country that allows public nudity, smoking, and open carrying of firearms. Must I allow guests in my home to run around naked, brandishing cigarettes and guns?

/me brandishes her cigarette at you!  But no way am I going to shoot my gun while naked.  Powder burns!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

Hello Aktahar Kawadias!

This is an excellent question that I will be more than happy to clear up for you.

As stated before in this thread, Region owners can have their own set of rules for what they wish to allow or to not allow on their land. However, they themselves must abide by our Terms of Service. The main thing to take from this is that our Governance Team cannot enforce a Region owner's rules for their land, as we only action on violations of our Terms of Service.

For Example; A region owner has set a rule on their land stating that all visitors must wear Clown Shoes. A Resident comes to the region wearing Flip-Flops and is ejected & banned from the region. If the region owner submits an Abuse Report on the Flip-Flop wearing Resident for entering their region not wearing the correct shoes, we will not action it because it is not a violation of the Second Life Terms of service. The same goes in reverse, if the Flip-Flop wearing Resident reports the region owner from unfairly banning them from their region because they weren't wearing the correct shoes, we do not get involved.

Now if someone is running a region and are allowing adult activity/content on a G rated region, for example, then that's something that can be reported to us and be reviewed for violating our Maturity Rating standards.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kristin Linden said:

Hello Aktahar Kawadias!

This is an excellent question that I will be more than happy to clear up for you.

As stated before in this thread, Region owners can have their own set of rules for what they wish to allow or to not allow on their land. However, they themselves must abide by our Terms of Service. The main thing to take from this is that our Governance Team cannot enforce a Region owner's rules for their land, as we only action on violations of our Terms of Service.

For Example; A region owner has set a rule on their land stating that all visitors must wear Clown Shoes. A Resident comes to the region wearing Flip-Flops and is ejected & banned from the region. If the region owner submits an Abuse Report on the Flip-Flop wearing Resident for entering their region not wearing the correct shoes, we will not action it because it is not a violation of the Second Life Terms of service. The same goes in reverse, if the Flip-Flop wearing Resident reports the region owner from unfairly banning them from their region because they weren't wearing the correct shoes, we do not get involved.

Now if someone is running a region and are allowing adult activity/content on a G rated region, for example, then that's something that can be reported to us and be reviewed for violating our Maturity Rating standards.

Hello Kristin

Thanks for this answer.

For my own this post can be closed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.