Question

Hello to everyone.

I'm new to SL (Since September) and i see a lot of people who have a "Home" . So there comes my question. I saw somewhere that only Premium Players can buy a "Home" is this true? Can i also as a FREE player buy or rent a Room/Home/Land?

Sorry if i posted that in wrong Thread. 

Stay safe and have fun,

Tainakachan.

5 answers to this question

One's own "home" inworld can be very comfortable as a steady place to return to, where you can get changed, just idle or hang out with friends, since you are not depending on some public space or someone else's grace.

When you are a premium member, you do get the option to claim a so called "Linden Home" as part of the membership. That's a plot which can be customized via menus and which is situated in a community-like setup with a ton of neighboring houses in a similar style. You have 175 prims available for your decoration and in case you don't like the overall style anymore, simply abandom the plot of land inworld and pick a new home from the website.

However, you also have numerous other options, which also don't require a premium membership.
For a new member, a nice little rental offer with an established landlord would probably be a good start. You can take your time to get used to SL and develop an idea of what kind of home preferences you might need in future. 

If you are interested in more advanced topics about the different options in SL, you can find a lot of helpful explanations on these forums, especially since "owning" land can be a quite tricky process in some aspects.

First, you need to understand that "a home" is just how you might want to call a place and does not really describe what someone actually has.

Lets start with the basics: Second Life has land. That land is divided in big sections, the sims, that each have a name. Some of those sims are organized into giant landmasses that form continents. Those are called Mainland. And then there are private regions that aren't connected to the Mainland. Some land might be used for commerical purposes, public places or for people to have their "home" there.

If you are a premium member you have the right to get land directly from Linden Lab. You pay a monthly fee (the amount depends on the size of land) directly to them. You are your own boss and can do whatever you want on your land. The terms of service are really the only rules for you. Premium member can also get a Linden Home. Linden Homes are small standartized houses, that stand on tiny parcels in clustered neighborhoods of other Linden Homes. They are sort of a starter house, ideal for anyone who just wants something small or doesn't want to get into finding their own piece of land, yet.

If you aren't a premium member, you can not get a Linden Home and you can not rent directly from Linden Lab.

People who aren't premium members can rent land from other people. Those act as their landlord and will also charge you weekly or monthly for your land. How much is up to them. There are some really beautiful places to be found and you can find anything from huge, blank land, beautiful pre-decorated landscapes to small one-room apartments up in the sky. The only downsite is, that you are at the mercy of the person you are renting from. If they stop paying their fees to LL, you lose your place. Or if they are unfriendly or set up etxra rules...well you can't do much about that.

The bottom lines, from the excellent explanations that Lillith an d Syo gave you:

1. Anyone may rent land from another resident anywhere in SL.

2. Anyone may buy an entire region for a private estate.

3. Premium members may buy land (regions or parcels) on the Mainland continent.

4. You need to own or rent land if you want to build a place to live or have a business.

5. Regardless of everything in points 1 - 4, every resident has a HOME location that is a default spot for logging in to Second Life.  It is not necessarily a place where you live (although it could be).  It may be a place that you own, or that a group you belong to owns, or a designated spot owned by Linden Lab.  It's simply your own personal spot somewhere in SL that your avatar will go if you hit the HOME button in your viewer or if you decide to log in at HOME.

I agree with Lillith on the comment about new people renting while they get to know SL.  If you search inworld for rentals, you will find a slew of options.  I highly recommend that you do not pay very far in advance, for various reasons - no more than 1-2 weeks in the beginning and no more than a month later on.

Side note - while you can rent land as a Free (non-Premium) member, you will still need to either put money into SL or make money inworld - or use the few methods of getting free L$ inworld.

• Like 2

You've gotten a ton of good answers.  I'll just add,

Second Life does not have "rooms" like IMVU.  In that world, a "room" is a virtual space, and one can only travel from one room to another by teleporting.  There is nothing "in between" rooms.  I mention this because a number of IMVU players have bought a house on the Marketplace, and then found out that in SL, you have to have land on which to put the house...it's not sufficient unto itself.  In SL, a house is an object, NOT a virtual space.

In Second Life we have "virtual land".  There are several ways, which others have told you about, to obtain a piece of this virtual land for your own use.  I teach a class on Second Life land on Saturdays, 12 noon SL time, at Caledon Oxbridge University.  It's free to attend!

• Like 2