triggersound/playsound

mansoor50

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i am building a fish tank and i have a fish that makes a sound.

while i made the fish prim i cd hear the sound - which was outside the tank

but when i put it in the tank, the only way i can hear it is if i am sitting right next to the tank. otherwise, i cant hear it even when the fish jumps out of the water.

not sure what i am doing wrong.

Just like in RL, sound volume drops off as the inverse square of your distance from the source, so the farther away you are, the quieter the sound is.  You have two choices: make the sound louder or get closer.  There's a limit to how loud you can make a sound in SL, so if you choose option one, you have to make the sound louder before you upload it.

There is a third choice, of course.  You may elect to play the sound through a HUD that you wear.  Tell your fish to send a triggering message to the HUD, and then have the HUD play the sound.  Since you are wearing it and obviously very close, you will hear it clearly. Use llTriggerSound if you want people to hear the sounds generated by your HUD. Use llPlaySound if you don't want other people to hear the sounds as well. 

• Like 3

Or you could build some sound emitters in the room with the fish tank - that is some objects to which a message is send on a hidden channel or simply let the tank it self send the sounds  instead of the little fishies them self.

17 minutes ago, mansoor50 said:

.ur idea seems like placing speakers

If you do that, you may need to worry about generating little echos as the "speakers" do not all play at exactly the same time. Your system may be affected by lag.  Depending on the setting, that could either be an annoyance or an unexpected touch of realism.

ah.....yes...lag is a problem.....i guess for "simple" stuff "speakers" will be ok..but HUD does seem the way to go....and i say this cause my simple fish tank has evolved into me wanting to do a dolphin show type of thing.....great practice..:)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.