Violaine Villota

Can realistic velvet be rendered using materials settings & maps?

Is displaying a rich velvet texture such as silk velvet at all possible using specular and normals maps? Or can it not handle something like that? I haven't really seen materials enabled velvet textures that look like the real thing just by browsing the marketplace, so would it just have to be baked or painted in? Shiny things seem easy to make and map but something like this seems too complex for SL yeah? See the photo link for what I mean, with silk velvet the light is reflected more from the fibers that are on the side or edge of whatever it's wrapping around rather than from the front.
il_340x270.1099784485_4gs5.jpg

Try asking Gerard Tunwarm of Texture Me True. He understands fabric better than most and started working with materials when they were first introduced.

How high can contrast be turned up on for materials? I'm far from expert in their use, but that's where I would start experimenting. I think I would also focus on trying to get the effect in strategically located parts of the object/garment rather than over all, so a bespoke texture for each rather than a multi-purpose fabric texture. But then I'm looking at the gorgeous rumples of that picture and thinking oh the tris!!! The LI on that will be deadly. :)

SL Materials are all about fakery - they don't simulate realistic light reflectivity, so the best you can hope for in any situation is something that looks mostly correct in most circumstances. 

So yes, you'll be able to fake it with the right maps, in the right lighting conditions. I would recommend laying hands on some real velvet you can personally examine under different lighting and angles.

On 10/5/2017 at 6:54 PM, Violaine Villota said:

with silk velvet the light is reflected more from the fibers that are on the side or edge of whatever it's wrapping around rather than from the front.

Unfortunately that's something that SL materials simply can't reproduce, for that you'd need a custom shader (which SL doesn't have).

As has been pointed out you can fake the effect, but in order to do so you'd need to either find/create a custom shader in your 3D rendering app of choice and bake the lighting info into the diffuse texture, or alternatively you can hand paint the lighting on, but since you'd then have static highlights and shadows on your texture the effect is going to work a lot better on say a piece of furniture in an indoor environment with a fixed light source (i.e. where the object isn't moving and you can position it so that the lighting on the textures matches the direction of light from any visible light sources) than it will on a piece of clothing that will be moving around and viewed in a variety of differently lit environments.

• Like 1

Alternately you can make a specular map from your defuse texture and add that into your node set up in Blender Cycles (sure there is a way in Maya too as Maya really has a nicer rendering engine  -- to my eye anyway). From there you can do a bake and then even redo the specular map from the baked texture.  I would suspect that a subtle normal map would help make the effect more convincing. 

IF you were doing the texturing by hand, you would paint your texture and then make the specular map from that. You CAN adjust the specular quality inworld to give more of the look you want. BE AWARE though that a LOT of folks don't have ALM turned on and so will never see the specular effects UNLESS they are baked in. Hence I am on the baked in side of the conversation -- mostly for that reason. 

That said, it will NOT be all that fluid but best as mentioned for static things. While I have not seen things in person, it seems like Sansar does a better job with this sort of fine tuned lighting effect. 

• Like 1

@Chic Aeon @Fluffy Sharkfin thank you both. 

I've hand painted velvet textures before so I guess I'll likely have to just do that with maybe some experimenting with the normal and specular maps.

I'm glad that iridescence is rendered very well so if I had to choose I'm fine with the trade off of not rendering velvet realistically. There may yet be some way to trick the system though, maybe generating the highlights where the shadows usually go in the specular/normal maps and alphas? I'll post if I figure anything out but sounds like this one is kind of a dead horse for  now.

6 hours ago, Violaine Villota said:

There may yet be some way to trick the system though, maybe generating the highlights where the shadows usually go in the specular/normal maps and alphas? I'll post if I figure anything out but sounds like this one is kind of a dead horse for  now.

The problem in (and it won't be going away) that everyone sees things differently do to their viewer settings so what may look great to you using materials could look HORRIBLE (and I mean quite horrible) to someone using a different Windlight setting.

I wish you luck on your journey. Just be sure and test with a ton of Windlights  --- unless of course the item is just for YOU and YOUR photos :D. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

The problem in (and it won't be going away) that everyone sees things differently do to their viewer settings so what may look great to you using materials could look HORRIBLE (and I mean quite horrible) to someone using a different Windlight setting.

I wish you luck on your journey. Just be sure and test with a ton of Windlights  --- unless of course the item is just for YOU and YOUR photos :D. 

Thanks :) Shouldn't be a problem as there are about a bazillion WL settings in Firestorm that I don't even use ;P Do you sell WL settings btw? I'm just noticing your Windlight Queen title.

1 minute ago, Violaine Villota said:

Thanks :) Shouldn't be a problem as there are about a bazillion WL settings in Firestorm that I don't even use ;P Do you sell WL settings btw? I'm just noticing your Windlight Queen title.

I don't think we can do that yet. On The Lab's agenda though it seems.  

No, that Windlight Queen is from tutorials and the Places Settings that have been around for-e-ver, long before they made their way into 3rd party viewers.    :D  

• Like 1