Jump to content
  • 0

Is tracking your sl camera and banning you a TOS violation?


Kit Repine
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've been wondering. As I was once in a Sim that banned me for having a unrestricted camera that was looking around the sim. By using the SL client advanced mode to unrestrict camera. Is this a violation of the terms of service as far as regarding a using a third-party software to restrict your ability to do something on Second Life?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I had mine mostly this was for other reasons LOL (arty ones) but what does that last setting about sending my slection target hits do? I have that checked for some reason but don't remember WHY I may have ---- oh great one that knows all *wink*.

When "Don't send my selection target hints" is enabled, it prevents your selection point from showing to others. If you enable this and have your selection beam enabled, your beam will show as pointing to your crotch area.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

No, it's not a violation of the TOS. You're using an approved viewer that has that capability. Other people can see where you're looking if you haven't turned LookAt hints off. Apparently someone on the sim saw that you were looking around and banned you. They have the right to do that, even if you're not doing anything that violates the TOS.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
18 minutes ago, Kit Repine said:

I was just unaware that the Linden Labs default client had a way to actually track your camera movement? 

Any viewer can display LookAt targets.  LookAt targets display a cross-hair where your camera is pointing, though take note, the LookAt feature isn't really meant to track what you are currently looking at, it's purpose is to debug avatar animations & it's an inaccurate method to use to see what someone is currently looking at.

Further information here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Show_Look_At

I don't think the LL viewer allows you to hide your LookAt target from others, apart from editing the attentions.xml file (see wiki page above).
Most third party viewers allow you to hide your LookAt target or lock it a meter or so infront of your avatar. The main use of hiding/locking your LookAt Target is actually to stop your avatar head turning to follow the mouse & to stop the avatar eyes rolling around in your head as you look around, which can be useful when taking snapshots of your avatar.
Disabling LookAt targets also has the bonus side effect of stopping the drama llamas from thinking they can see what you are looking at & getting upset because you are either looking at their avatar, or not looking at their avatar when they want to be the center of your attention  lol.

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
9 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Any viewer can display LookAt targets.  LookAt targets display a cross-hair where your camera is pointing, though take note, the LookAt feature isn't really meant to track what you are currently looking at, it's purpose is to debug avatar animations & it's an inaccurate method to use to see what someone is currently looking at.

Further information here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Show_Look_At

I don't think the LL viewer allows you to hide your LookAt target from others, apart from editing the attentions.xml file (see wiki page above).
Most third party viewers allow you to hide your LookAt target or lock it a meter or so infront of your avatar. The main use of hiding/locking your LookAt Target is actually to stop your avatar head turning to follow the mouse & to stop the avatar eyes rolling around in your head as you look around, which can be useful when taking snapshots of your avatar.
Disabling LookAt targets also has the bonus side effect of stopping the drama llamas from thinking they can see what you are looking at & getting upset because you are either looking at their avatar, or not looking at their avatar when they want to be the center of your attention  lol.

 

So what this boils down to is basically I'm using the wrong viewer and is not against the terms of service that's all I was really wondering.  I have no desire to return to the Sim that ban me or to hang out with any of the people that are involved in it I just want to know if I was being victimized by a TOS abuse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
9 minutes ago, Kit Repine said:

So what this boils down to is basically I'm using the wrong viewer and is not against the terms of service that's all I was really wondering.  I have no desire to return to the Sim that ban me or to hang out with any of the people that are involved in it I just want to know if I was being victimized by a TOS abuse.

Disabling camera constraints so you can cam around more freely is not against the TOS.  Camming around and looking at things on a region is not against the TOS.
It's possible that the region you were banned from has rules set by the region owner forbidding camming freely around, though I can't see why they would have such rules, unless it was a roleplay place & camming around was considered "cheating", though there is no way to enforce that rule when most viewers can easily disable LookAt targets, or use the trick of Alt-clicking on an object to lock your camera on it & then moving the camera to a different location, which works on any viewer.

You can be banned from any parcel or region by the parcel/region owner for any reason at all though, even a silly reason.  Banning someone from your land for a silly reason isn't against the TOS either.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
typo
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

It's possible that the region you were banned from has rules set by the region owner forbidding camming freely around, though I can't see why they would have such rules, unless it was a roleplay place & camming around was considered "cheating"

Camming around might definitely be regarded as cheating in combat role play and I suspect that's what this is all about. ;)

I have a feeling I even know which sim - or rather which estate - the OP was banned from since there is one very popular rp area that does have rules against camming.

 

5 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

though there is no way to enforce that rule

Oh yes, there is. The place I have in mind tracks your camera position through an experience key

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

There are experience based games that will alert you not to move your camera too far from your avatar.

The reasoning is to prevent you from camming into areas your avatar isn't actually standing in, possibly cheating by seeing targets, goals or rewards you have to find through natural exploration.

If we ever get camera controls reform, scripted camera resetting or scripted mouselook forcing could be an alternative to alerts and/or punishments depending on game play.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 06/10/2017 at 1:47 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Most third party viewers allow you to hide your LookAt target or lock it a meter or so infront of your avatar.

Whirly, further to this - as I am a look-at hider in firestorm, but sort of wish i could display a fake one... Does firestorm have a way to do the locked mode you mention? Short of briefly turning it on and then off again in the region so it draws :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Whirly, further to this - as I am a look-at hider in firestorm, but sort of wish i could display a fake one... Does firestorm have a way to do the locked mode you mention? Short of briefly turning it on and then off again in the region so it draws :P

If you match these settings, it should lock your LookAt just infront of your head.

image.png.7c7735a9106a1f358ee4f94172fa4cdf.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
18 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Whirly, further to this - as I am a look-at hider in firestorm, but sort of wish i could display a fake one... Does firestorm have a way to do the locked mode you mention? Short of briefly turning it on and then off again in the region so it draws :P

Display a FAKE Look-At cursor?  My gosh, we have enough Drahma just from the ones that AREN'T fake.  Callum, you are a troublemaker. :ph34r:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
18 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

If you match these settings, it should lock your LookAt just infront of your head.

image.png.7c7735a9106a1f358ee4f94172fa4cdf.png

I had mine mostly this was for other reasons LOL (arty ones) but what does that last setting about sending my slection target hits do? I have that checked for some reason but don't remember WHY I may have ---- oh great one that knows all *wink*.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...