You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A hacker try to get me to click on a TV in second life which somehow links on your internet service. 

You need to  REMOVE   all of the TVs in Second life there using them to  hack players.

Why  do  Second life  have  TVs that  can  link  to  your  internet service without  the user knowing 

screen name is brandy3288

• Confused 1

8 answers to this question

This is a resident to resident forum by 99% of the time. If you need to get in touch with LL directly, you need to rely on Abuse Reports on the offending avatar as well as the object or submit a support case.

Though I'm not really sure what the "hack" is supposed to be ... a "TV" displaying media and/or websites isn't per se a hack, but plain and simple media on a prim.

Are you trying to say that they wanted to fool you and direct you to a page looking like an official LL website, where you were supposed to enter your user data? So more of a phishing scam?

• Like 1

You didn't enter your data anywhere, did you?
If you did, better hurry to change your password at the very least.

In general, I'd strongly suggest to keep media off most of the time and only specifically turn it on in places you trust and where you want to see media content. 

Third party viewers, especially Firestorm, have an option called "Media Filter" which you can configure in such way that it'll show you a popup with the loading URL. 

3 minutes ago, brandy3288 said:

So what  are your  COMPANY  doing about  tis  matter

As you've already been told, this is a residents forum. You are writing to people like yourself. You are not talking to LL.

You say something about a notice popping up, but it's so vaguely described that there are plenty of ways to interprete it. Something inworld, something outside of the viewer (in that case you have probably clicked more than you are telling here, as it is next to impossible to infect your computer with malware from inside the viewer) ... please elaborate in clear words or at least show a screenshot of the popup.

Edited by Lillith Hapmouche
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brandy3288 said:

No they got into  it asked me to call a number are my  PC  would lock ....,  they  asking as  if they  worked  for Second life saying  there was a problem with my account  and  call  this #  18064525032......

Hi,

It sounds to be a pishing attempt as Linden Lab explained in a recent Blog article:

So DON'T call this phone number!

As Lillith mentioned the forum is mainly resident to resident,

I think you should send an Abuse Report about this "hacker".  If he owns the TV you'll can right click it to send the report.

• Like 4

The so-called TV was likely set to display something coming from a server that the hacker controls. The hacker can then look at the server to see what IP address connected. That would be your IP address. From that it's a simple look-up to find what ISP you're using. That's public information and nothing to worry about. If the hacker could get into your computer using the IP address, you would have already been hacked many times over by the constant stream of attempts that target random IP addresses. So no worries there.

The real phishing attempt is the phone number. Do not call it. Do not believe anybody in-world who claims to work for Second Life.

As marcov said -- get the name of the hacker and file an abuse report.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.